Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • LEJOG Record Tandem Attempt
  • druidh
    Free Member

Any nightbirds following their progress?

http://rocket2.mapmytracks.com/

Should all be over by the time I get up in the morning!!!

aracer
    Free Member

I presume there’s a traffic reason for starting at 3am? Seems to make very poor sense for any other reason, as you get more than your fair share of dark and also difficult to be completely rested for that start time.

The other question of course is why do I need a Jesus phone to follow their progress?

druidh
    Free Member

Just checked (you don’t need an iPhone) and it looks like they’ve had to stop in Golspie!

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah abandoned with 68 miles to go!

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Real shame they had to abandon so near to the end!

MrSparkle

Just seen it. What a bummer! Any links to what happened?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I saw them on the A9 yesterday going over Drumochter Pass, the weather was pretty grim.

samuri
    Free Member

We nipped over to give them a cheer as they rode between Warrington and Preston. They were really behind schedule then. My overall impression was they looked beat at that stage. And that at least one of the guys in the support cars was a bit full of himself.

DavidB
    Free Member

And that at least one of the guys in the support cars was a bit full of himself.

Can’t let that pass…more details please.

philconsequence
    Free Member

what record were they going for?

i know a guy who did LEJOG on a tandem with a chap who had downs syndrome on the back, for charity of course, pretty sure he didnt kidnap him.

bigjim

Jeez I wouldn’t want to cycle up the A9 being so tired, such a crazy dangerous road.

aracer
    Free Member

what record were they going for?

Er, the record for fastest from LE to JoG on a tandem?

NewRetroTom

Did they stop when they realised they couldn’t make the record? Or were they just too tired?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m guessing the two are connected?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I must have been near thesurfbus on the A9 yesterday – saw them pecking up through the roadworks holding up the traffic near Drumochter. Seemed to be about 4 support vehicles scattered across the road and in the layby on the wrong side of the road too. Quite a support team. One car behind to give them some protection from passing motorists.

The pessimist in me does wonder if they sacked it in because they knew they couldn’t make it. Seems a shame to go to all of that effort and not do the last few hours if that is the reason, even if you were only going to be second fastest.

bigjim

Having seen james cracknell on that arctic challenge program I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a huffy fit and packed it in because they weren’t going to make the record, he came across a right front-bottom on that and nearly ruined the trip for all his team mates because of his behaviour.

aracer
    Free Member

The pessimist in me does wonder if they sacked it in because they knew they couldn’t make it.

Well it’s not likely to help the motivation, and after 2 days in the saddle you need every little bit to help you keep going and stay awake.

cyclehard
    Free Member

I think those guys need to put things in perspective!!
    Check this kid out!
    Unicycle Kid LEJOG

njee20
    Free Member

The comment on the website talks about ‘their safety’ and yet the quotes on the Bike Radar article, whilst cryptic, suggest it was just a case of not making the record, but not wanting to say that!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘LEJOG Record Tandem Attempt’ is closed to new replies.