Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Leith hill/ Surrey hills info
  • bikebore
    Free Member

Hi all,

Off to bag Leith Hill in the morning, got the trails off 'Diary of a Mountain Biker'. Looks like there's got to be a good route hitting Box, Leith and Holmbury Hills in one loop.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point and loop? Am thinking of starting at Coldharbour, looping across Leith and over to Holmbury, finishing off with Box hill (although the trails on Box look sparse).

Any information on loop, trails or access issues much appreciated.

Cheers…..

nuke

Well as a starter for some loops try here…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-east/the-north-downs/

(They've got the hard and medium mixed up btw)

If you're looking at covering all the hills I'd consider starting at Westcott and doing a figure of 8 from there. Heading out from Westcott to Pitch, then Holmbury, Leith, Coldharbour, back to Westcott then head out the Ranmore and Box. tbh if you havenn't been before, you might be trying to fit too much in by taking on Box and Ranmore as well; I'd suggest sticking with Pitch/Holmbury/Leith/Redlands.

Might be worth dropping into Nirvana (Westcott) if you're not familar with the area as they sell maps on the singletrack although I've personally not used one.

We need to put a tannoy announcement out for mtb-idle 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another really good option is to turn up at the village shop in Peaslake and ask around for a guide for a bit. Equally, do the same over at the Tower. There's plenty of friendly folk who'll show you some superb stuff.

The maps are great, but to really get to know the maze of trails (and link them all up in a good route) nothing beats riding with some of the regulars!

My usual loop there is as follows;
    Start at Peaslake, ride up Holmbury Hill.
    Descend via Parklife and Telegraph (Take the right near the end, down the steep section!)
    Road transfer through Holmbury St Mary.
    Climb up Greensands Way to High Ashes Farm, then on to the Tower.
    Down from the Tower on to Summer Lightning and the other trails in Redlands.
    Back up, over the Tower again and down what we know as Pint Glass (One of the myriad hidden moments!)
    High Ashes Farm back down the Mother (descent of the Greensand climb from earlier)
    Over the top of Holmbury, down one of many to the top of Barry Knows Best.
    BKB is sublime and finishes on the road above Peaslake.
    Road down to Peaslake for a pint and/or tea and cake. Lovely.

I might even be up there for a little while early on Sunday, hangover and Tour depending! Keep yer eyes peeled for a blue '08 Spesh Enduro

bikebore
    Free Member

Thanks fellas, appreciated. Peaslake isn't on my OS map, had missed that one.

Was trying to avoid Nirvana, what with having just been paid and a trip to Afan coming up. Oh well……..

😆

nuke

CFH's is a good loop plus if you've got time you can then head up Pitch for some Christmas Pudding and the rest.

Pint Glass

Hmmmm, might have ridden the trail but not heard of that name.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is a pretty good loop
    http://www.chocolatefoot.co.uk/journal/wa/archives/2003/02/000060-4_lumps_classic.html

Best when you can link in some of the other stuff as well, though!

Nuke, I think almost every group of riders has a different name for some of them!

For example, I've heard BKB called Silent Treatment as well.

DezB
    Free Member

Big fan of BKB here too. Don't miss it!

nuke

With regard BKB, I do enjoy doing it and it's worth doing but is it just me who thinks it's a bit overated?
    <Ducks and runs away>

Nuke, I think almost every group of riders has a different name for some of them!

Yeah, good point. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

is it just me who thinks it's a bit overated?
    Depends how slow you go down it eh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB's post was sponsored by Whiskas…

😉

DezB
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Leith hill/ Surrey hills info’ is closed to new replies.