• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Leisure Lakes Trade-In
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Was in Leisure Lakes drooling over a Blood the other day and one of the blokes in there mentioned you can trade-in your existing Orange, anyone done this or know anything about it?

Cheers

gojo
    Free Member

They offer you peanuts!! My other half asked about trading his Orange Patriot in – they offered him £700 when it was worth about £1200!

Brycey
    Free Member

Thought as much. Classifieds on here is probably a better idea.

Thanks

Mof
    Free Member

I'd have to disagree with the "peanuts" comment. I've traded two bikes in with Leisure Lakes and both times was offered more than expected, and had to work hard at appearing unimpressed with the deals. The first bike I traded in was offered at a modest mark up and was eventually sold "on offer"… I doubt they made a bean on the bike itself. Take into consideration… you are trading in… not selling privately. Just decide realistically how much your bike is worth and how much you want for it. I'd suggest taking your bike in and let them check it out. If the deal the offer doesn't match your expectations… no problem.. walk away.

Brycey
    Free Member

Which begs the fateful STW question; wots it worth mate?

2005 Orange Five Pro: Forks and shock just TF Tuned, Spank wheels, Thomson stem, Easton bars and XT Shadow mech – the rest bog standard.

Thanks for your patience!

Mof
    Free Member

I think on the classifieds here, it would have to be attractively priced to sell. (Everybody wants a bargain). If you are happy to mess around negotiating prices or re-advertising a non-seller until you get the price you want, give it a try… otherwise, that's where the trade-in becomes viable. Take a little bit of a slap price-wise, but then the deal is done…no hassle. You could try ebay but personally I think it's a lost cause at the moment unless either (1).. somebody REALLY wants the bike, or (2) somebody hasn't a clue what they are buying.

mr-bump
    Free Member

I have to agree with Mof.
    I have traded ion bikes with Leisure Lakes and got very good prices for them all.
    The ones i did sell privatley were a nightmare!
    People offering silly prices, then turning up to haggle further (if they even turned up!!!)
    At least once you have px'ed it you can walk away knowing the new buyer wont come back to complain.
    Good luck mate ( oh and enjoy the blood).

speaker2animals

If you think the LL offer was poor, just try to sell a frame or bike on classified (and not just STW). Then you'll see what it's like to be slapped down. Probably not the best time of year to try selling a frame/bike. Weather crap and still too close to Xmas.

wwaswas

re: value for the Orange – for a 4-5 year old bike my view is you'll be lucky to get 35-40% of the new price if you sell it complete via the classifieds.

You may get slightly more if the compenents are in good nick and you split it – but that's a lot fo hassle and you run the risk of having bits 'left over' (own brand seatposts etc).

I guess it's like trading in a car really – although you might get slightly less (but as above sometimes more) the effort on your part to sell is nill.

ivantate
    Free Member

Same as trading anything, its less hassle but you wont get its maximum value. Bike shops arent charities even if CRC/merlin etc give that image sometimes.

My mate has a 2010 Orange5 he bought in October for £2200 (S spec with extras) it was ridden once for about 3 miles on tarmac and they offered him £1100 for it in December. Not sure if its a good deal or not, he needed the money and they had plenty of stock so market forces come into play.

Brycey
    Free Member

Hm, I'll certainly give them a go. I'm not expecting miracles.

Cheers all

mr-bump
    Free Member

Which Leisure Lakes store are you using?

Brycey
    Free Member

Bury.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My experience was the other way round. I had a GT Zaskar Race (2001 model), full XT (new) X717 wheels, RS Duke SL, Easton finishing kit etc, cost me in the region of £1500 to build up, LL offered me £500.
    Sold it privately through Loot for £900 that weekend.

the-muffin-man

My experience was the other way round. I had a GT Zaskar Race (2001 model), full XT (new) X717 wheels, RS Duke SL, Easton finishing kit etc, cost me in the region of £1500 to build up, LL offered me £500.

How long ago was that? If it was recently then £500 for a bike based on a 8+ year old frame (even though wheels are new) would be a fair offer IMO (seeing as they are trying to run a business for a profit).

You did very, very well to get £900!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Muffin-man – it was January 2004, bike was in mint condition. Bought the frame new in 2003 (Halfords old stock) for £300.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Actually, i'm unsure what the rims were, i had bought a set of hope mini's with hope xc hubs on mavic 7xx rims. That lot cost me over £400 alone.

andy_hew
    Free Member

I'd been trying to sell my Brompton on here and a few other places. I was looking for £325, but would have taken £300, not much interest and the few who did view it offered stupid amounts. Took it to LL in Lancaster and they said that the most they could offer me in the state it was in was £350. I paused for a bit and tried to look slightly disappointed before saying 'go on then'. I was mightily pleased

mickasaki
    Free Member

Years back, Flapjack on here tried to trade an LTS2000DS which was probably less than 1 year old and cost £1500, against a Cannondale SV1000 – £2000+ worth, they offered £150 for it! We walked! I must admit that i was often impressed with the prices they used to sell the trader's at before the Ebay days! Very nearly went home with an impulse buy on more than one occasion!

Kuco

I've traded a few bikes in at the Daventry store, you're not going to get what you will selling it private but i've always been happy with what i've been offered. I just can't be bothered with the hassle of selling it privately.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Leisure Lakes Trade-In’ is closed to new replies.