Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Legoland
  • nemesis
    Free Member

It’s an inset day at nemesis Jnr’s school next week so we’ve told him we’ll go to Legoland which he’s massively excited about.

It was his 6th birthday a short while ago and we’ve told him he can buy something there with some cash he got. What are the shops like – same as toys R us but all RRP or is there actually anything there that you can’t get elsewhere?

Also, will it be a fun experience for nemesis jnr 2 at 2.5yrs old?

Tips/suggestions on what to do/avoid/etc welcome.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are rides and attractions for the younger ones, jn2 will still have a good time. They used to have some Lego ranges that where hard to get elsewhere, store is OK. Fairly sure its all at normal prices.

edlong
    Free Member

You can buy all the Lego, in all the formats – obviously they want you to buy the branded, licensed “sets” but if your lad wants to blow his wad on yellow 2×8 bricks only, that can be done.

Dunno how much fun a 2.5 year old will have, they are a fickle bunch in my experience, but it is generally aimed at younger kids, so there will be plenty of stuff you can go on. That said, there will probably be a few things that a 6 year old could go on that a 2.5 year old can’t.

Usual theme park format – the food and refreshments you can buy onsite are over-priced and not great quality, you can either live with it or take sandwiches (I’d take sandwiches).

My two actually really enjoyed the lego town sets (not expected, they both went mainly for the rides). There was also a fantastic Star Wars area which we all liked, but I’m not sure if that was permanent or not, so it might not be there?

A few of the rides will involve getting wet, there’s enough that don’t that it won;t ruin your day if you want to avoid them.

Just to check – you are talking about the proper Legoland in Windsor, aren’t you? All the above applies to that. All I’ve ever heard about the place in Manchester (Trafford Centre?) was that it was massively disappointing…

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks, yes, the Windsor one.

triple_s

Going tomorrow with my 3 year old and18 month old boys.

3 yr old asked yesterday “Will there be benches?” and “Can we sit on them?” told him there will be and he can, I hope he’s not disappointed.

weeksy

Off there in a couple of weeks for my lads 6th b’day along with a few mates.

postierich
    Free Member

“will there be any benches” only if you make them with you know what 🙂

Northwind

postierich – Member

“will there be any benches” only if you make them with you know what

Wood?

theotherjonv

If he wants to sit on benches, you need to come a few miles further up the road. It’s a nationally recognised pastime round here.

Bench sitting championships

packer
    Free Member

Your younger one will be too short for most of the rides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your younger one will be too short for most of the rides.

Friends have 1yr and 3ry old kids, they love it so there must be enough to keep them ammused. Think there’s some sort of paddling/getting wet involved so take trunks/dry clothes.

packer
    Free Member

Yep, there is lots there for all ages.
    However, we did the same as the OP is going to do (i.e. took a 5 year old and a 3 yr old), and the problem we found was that the younger one got upset because they couldn’t go on all the rides the older one was going on, and understandably got frustrated queuing for things they weren’t allowed on.
    We ended up splitting up and doing totally separate things for most of the day to keep them both happy.

Yep the splash area is good so take trunks and a towel.

nemesis
    Free Member

Useful to know – thanks

tonyd

Take a picnic and go and watch the pirate show. Get there 20-30 minutes early to ensure a decent seat, eat lunch, watch show – great fun!

edlong
    Free Member

+1 for the pirate show, I’d forgotten about that, it’s pretty good.

ecksee
    Free Member

Should be plenty to keep the youngest one amused (Fairy Tale Brook, Boat School, Train ride etc) and I’d highly recommend the Atlantis submarine ride which has lots to see. My two have a bit of an age gap between them (7 years) so myself and the good lady wife tend to split some of the rides so neither are bored.

Inset days are generally good days to go, the last time we went on an inset day the park was empty with the longest queue being about 5 minutes.

The shop sells all the current ranges plus loads of other Lego merchandise. They also have an area where you can make your own figures which you can’t do elsewhere. If you have a Merlin pass you get a discount too (can’t remember if it is 10 or 20 percent).

If it is hot you could take swimming gear and go up to the Duplo water park, be warned that the water can be freezing!

Lots of decent food places in the park. Our favourite is the chicken place in the castle, portions are huge and relatively well priced. Again, Merlin pass holders get money off food and drink.

The train back up the hill is a god-send at the end of the day, especially with little’uns. Just be aware that it can get a bit busy as everyone has the same idea.

tonyd

Is it a general inset day or just your school? What day? Been thinking about taking our kids on Wednesday next week but don’t want to burn a days holiday if it’ll be packed!

Cougar

Wood?

You’re getting mixed up, you need to go to Woodland for that. Fun for all the family, take a spoke shave.

ecksee
    Free Member

I think it was a school specific inset day, but can’t really remember. May have been a Tuesday or Wednesday tacked onto the end of a half term.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, school specific inset day so hopefully it won’t be too packed.

tonyd

^^^ @ecksee Sorry that was directed to the OP. My time machine is broken so it’s unlikely I’ll go on the same inset day as you 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Not next Wednesday 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

Legoland BOGOF vouchers on some packets of Kellogs cereals – could be worth getting. 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

We’ve been collecting them 🙂

Also a free kid’s ticket with the Xbox 360 lego movie game (which is £25) though I haven’t checked for conditions on that.

mick_r

My kids were most excited about the driving school – think you can book it ahead. We went to Denmark and got tipped off to go straight there 1st thing to book an early slot. Conveniently looks like Windsor age limit is 6 yrs – in Denmark it was 7 and our youngest had to do some very convincing fibbing….. Justified it to himself due to building age 7 plus Lego kits – so that was his Lego age 🙂

Maybe best to take some ID if your 6 yr old is small.

razorrazoo

If you collect Tesco clubcard vouchers you can get an adult ticket for around £12 in vouchers, works out better than the 2 for 1 deals.

globalti
    Free Member

Legoland Windsor was one of the nicest, least tacky and best managed theme parks we visited when Gti Junior was a bairn.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for the club card tip – I think we may have enough to cover us which will be loads cheaper.

DrP

The 4D shows are pretty good 🙂

DrP

nemesis
    Free Member

So, packed lunch or lunch there? TripAdvisor seems full of reviews saying the food’s rubbish but ecksee up there seems to reckon it’s good..

oh and if you do take food, can you go back and forward to where you park the car to avoid carrying it all day?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Legoland’ is closed to new replies.