Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • legalise Segways
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

legalise Segways – what do you think?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eh? They’re not illegal as it is!

vinnyeh

I think they are already aren’t they. Just restricted where you can use them.
    😉

edit:pah poddy.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

they have just been made illegal on public roads and they are illegal on footpaths so unless you have a huge estate or some sort of palace they are a bit pointless. and anyway i’m sure the boss of segway will tell you that they are harmless!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

they have just been made illegal on public roads

So I assume electric bikes are also illegal then?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Ey up Steve,
    A guy from near us in sunny Barnsley has been prosecuted for riding one on the road, made the Telegraph Tory PropagandaAlso the guy who took over the firm who lived in Leeds was killed on one a few months ago, rode it over a cliff.

TheBrick
    Free Member

PeaslakeDave – Member
    [strike]they have just been made illegal on public roads and they are illegal on footpaths so unless you have a huge estate or some sort of palace[/strike] they are a[strike]bit[/strike] pointless.[strike] and anyway i’m sure the boss of segway will tell you that they are harmless![/strike]

Agreed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They have never been legal to use on UK roads or pavements I thought? Same as mini motos and a whole range of other things

bol

Isn’t that what bikes are for?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

The Segway. An American solution for a problem that never existed. Unless of course the problem is that you are too lazy to balance on a bicycle and pedal the damn thing.

william
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

I was undecided, but anything Lembit Opik likes has to be a bad thing, so ban them all and crush their owners I say.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was about to post a pic of the Cheeky Girls to contradict you there aracer, but the last time I did something so heinously misogynistic I was banned by the hypocritimods, so I wont. Lembit Opik is a legend 🙂

cookeaa

They are toss the ideal transport for those who don’t mind standing but refuse to actually walk…

cookeaa

oops double post…

Opik is a grade A plum by the way.. shagging an annorexic, Transilvanian does not make him a legend…

ivantate
    Free Member

they should be banned for being one of the most pointless things in the world.

stratobiker
    Free Member

So, generally speaking, you don’t want to share cycle lanes with them then?

Personally I think they are dangerous.

SB

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s nowt wrong with a sexy pic of the cheeky girls

uplink
    Free Member

uplink
    Free Member

This lot were on the TV last week

epicyclo

Segway = fatties idea of exercise?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t see the point in them either but I’ll try my question again, but rephrase it:

How can they be illegal on the roads? I can ride an electric bike or scooter if I so wish

How can they be illegal on the pavemnets? Electric wheelchairs aren’t.

What makes a Segway different from these? I honestly don’t have the foggiest. 🙂

Clong
    Free Member

They are a hoot though, a freind and I sweet talked a demo of them in QE park. The staff there were accesing whether or not to buy a couple of the “rugged” versions for the public to hoon around the trails on. Good fun, all in all.

Del

sinclair C5 springs to mind as being a ‘bit’ analogous. maybe they’re just too quick ( though i’d be surprised ). top end for something like that has to be less than 14mph or something i think, without it having to conform to regs?
    they are a solution looking for a problem to a large degree, but they do have their uses. the plod at schiphol were digging about on them – that made some sense, as they could see better over everyone’s heads.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How can they be illegal on the pavemnets?

judge decided it was “motor vehicle for use on roads” so not allowed on pavements.

it’s not road legal – no indicators etc so not allowed on roads – like say a motocross bike. which you could not argue is like a bike but with a motor. different rules for different things.

a lot of law comes down to what a judge decides.

pjt201
    Free Member

Del – Member
    the plod at schiphol were digging about on them – that made some sense, as they could see better over everyone’s heads.

Same at Miami airport – except their ones had a shotgun holster mounted down the front. They also had police on full sus mtbs (rebadged treks i think) with slick tyres on (this was all inside the airport)…

allthegear
    Free Member

Pity – they are huge fun. We had some at work for a day, in offroad guise, and they were really quick. Turn quickly so long as you can hang on…

Rachel

soobalias
    Free Member

they make recumbents look cool

not sure that all stoopid ideas should be illegal tho

meehaja
    Free Member

saw a guy in Paris last week, hooning down the pavement on the north bank, flying cap on with silk scarf flowing behind. Superb. Pointless, but superb.

aracer
    Free Member

Pity – they are huge fun

I’mm not convinced that it being “huge fun” is the best reason for being allowed to mix one with peds on the pavement – next thing you’ll be defending pavement cycling!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘legalise Segways’ is closed to new replies.