Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Legal Q – Disposing of goods belonging to someone else
  • Blackhound

Quite a long story this but will try and keep it brief.

I have a SPOT 2 tracking device (value ~£150) in my possession that does not belong to me. I know who owns it and have emailed him twice, checked the address with the only person I thought could confirm it, left a note on his blog and tweeted him. I don’t do fb so can’t chase him that way, even if he is on it. He has not responded to any of these so I have the item in a box under my stairs gathering dust.

First contacted him some months ago. How long should I leave it before disposing of the goods?

He has paid for it and can’t have contacted the seller (in the USA) as they know I have it. I have also told the sellers I can’t get hold of him.

My inclination is to sell it and donate the funds to charity (probably BN-MRT per the ‘sticky’ on front page of forum) as it is a total waste sat in a box but don’t want to leave myself open to selling stolen goods etc.

In the ‘old’ days you advised somebody and after a decent period of time such as 3 or 6 months you could dispose of goods. As I have not sent a letter to his home address not sure this is valid.

Any ideas?

TJ would know;-)

tomhoward

Send it back to the seller if they’ll pay, if they won’t, bin it. Or do your idea. Wouldn’t be selling stolen goods as you have taken resonable steps to reunite the item with its owner, though I’m not a lawyer.

DickBarton

How much for it?

Blackhound

Dick – not sure I want to sell it straight away. I do need to contact the seller this week (waiting for another unit to arrive, as I say long story) and check with them. I have mentioned it to them before though.

I have re-checked the price and can see £125 + postage:

http://www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk/

So was thinking of £80 to include postage, case, and pack of 3 lithium batteries. Note that in the pic in the advert where it is orange this unit is grey. It was posted to the UK in February 2012. Of the £80 £75 would go to the charity with difference being postage. I sent one out last week and was charged £6.35 as per the post. If you want a pic then email is in profile.

Assuming no one tells me I am doing anything wrong of course. So it could be available next week or week after.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Legal Q – Disposing of goods belonging to someone else’ is closed to new replies.