Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • legal info (tyres)
  • luke
    Free Member

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the 'motor vehicles tyres (safety) regulations 1994, but it's only regulation 25 I need.
    Now I need the proper wording and not an extract off another site, as I can easily find this, but the proper wording has proved illusive.
    So can anyone help me? or is this a task to far for the stw members?

Marge
    Free Member

What's the problem? (i'm a tyre engineer)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Luke, what's the context of this? Could the regulation 25 that you are after be from another bit of legislation, which is then referred to in these 1994 regulations?

luke
    Free Member

Originally it was in The road vehicles (contruction and use) regulations 1986.
    To cut a long story short, I work for a company who is sub contracted by another company to do various things with there vehicles.
    The issue has arisen that a car is to be fitted with a lower speed rated tyre than was originally supplied with that vehicle.
    Now from what we can deduce this is legal provided the vehicle isn't driven over the speed indicated on the speed rating, but we just need the relevant information to cover are arses, in case it goes pete tong.
    Not that it really matters but both tyres are the same load rating.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The 1986 Con/Use regs was as far as I got. I can check stuff when I'm back at work later in the week and forward it to you if that helps?

Marge
    Free Member

In the UK it must be equal or higher than the highest prescribed speed on a British road… [70mph :wink:]

Construction & use Regs #30…

Under Euro directive which is not applied in the UK you would indeed need a tyre with a speed not lower than the original equipment (with the exception of winter tyres)

luke
    Free Member

thegreatape that would be great thanks.

Marge cheers do you have a link to the info?

Marge
    Free Member

Luke – got an email adress?

tron
    Free Member

I think you will find that the issue is not with the legality but the insurance. Insurance companies do not like people using lower than standard speed rated tyres.

I'm not a tyre engineer, but higher rated tyres tend to just be better tyres than lower rated tyres. So you can assume that all things being equal, grip will be lower.

spooky_b329

Marge +1

I was under the impression its OK to use a tyre rated one speed rating below normal for special conditions tyres, such as studded tyres or offroad tyres. Think in some cases the vehicle should be fitted with a sticker to remind the driver?

Tron, I don't think grip has anything to do with it, its the ability of the tyre to not overheat at its rated speed and therefore fall to bits! Tyres with more aggressive tread patterns are more prone to heat build up and thats why for certain applications such as a 3.5t van, you can't get a descent off road tyre that has a sufficient load and speed rating. I had to go for a meaty looking 'standard' mud and snow tyre for my van. Drop a couple of load ratings and I could have got something that looked like a porcupine 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Grip is related to rubber compound and tread pattern. Pretty much every high speed rated tyre you see has very large tread blocks. This reduces squirming compared with small tread blocks, as far as I know. It certainly seems to give better turn in and stability to me even within legal speeds, athough it's impossible to test these things properly as a general tyre buyer.

I suspect Luke works for a fleet maintenance / leasing firm and they're looking to cut corners. Perhaps they should stop changing brake fluid too?

luke
    Free Member

Tron your in the right area with who I work for. But wrong on the cutting corners, it's an unusual situation that we just need to have the relevant info to cover our back's.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Tyre – £50, Lawyer Chappie to defend your cheapskate boss £70/hr -Hhhhmmm?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pretty much every high speed rated tyre you see has very large tread blocks.

Not sure that's true at all. I'm currently running some V rated tyres with very small tread blocks, and I've seen loads of others while searching for new tyres?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Luke

I have printed off a copy of the road vehicles (contruction and use) regulations 1986 for you. Now I've read some boring things in my time but that takes the cake. If you've got an email or postal address it's all yours.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘legal info (tyres)’ is closed to new replies.