Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leg Strength when descending
  • skydragon
    Free Member

Mincing round the Ard Rock Enduro at the weekend highlighted that the weakest (quite literally) area of my riding is when I’m on long gnarly descents. I find that my legs just haven’t enough strength to be able to remain in a good standing attack position on the bike, when I’m taking a sustained pummelling. My overall fitness, arm strength and bar grip is fine. I finished the event feeling like I could go on for miles more, so it looks like the riding I’ve put in the last year has paid off in that respect.

What generally happens is I’m stood up on the pedals, but after a few minutes of descending rough terrain at speed, my legs weaken and I end up crouching down or trying to sit on the saddle to get a break. This ends up making my legs even worse. I become a passenger rather than a rider. Shorter descents or descents on relatively non-techy trails are fine.

There is obviously a limit to anyone’s strength/endurance when descending, but how do I improve mine drastically?

I’m guessing some gym work to really strengthen my Glutes and the back of my legs? I probably need to also work on my riding position as well, but that seems secondary if I can’t maintain it due to my legs giving out.

As background I generally ride about 40-50 miles a week on fairly techy (for UK) terrain, but don’t do any gym work at all.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Deadlifts.

I’ve been doing gym work for the last 18months or so, and can now deadlift my bodyweight repeatedly. This has made a massive difference to exactly what you describe.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I felt similar at the ard rock, legs like jelly on the sprints.
    I’ll do some work on deadlifts, as it was my body position in general that starts to suffer towards the end of the stages, stopping me using my lower back to push down through the pedals.

edward2000
    Free Member

stopping me using my lower back to push down through the pedals.

[quote]

I always use my feet

wilko1999
    Free Member

If you have a decent pump track somewhere near head there and ride it fast, pedalling every corner. Train there regularly and increase your distance bit by bit. You only need 20 – 30 minutes at a time to really make a difference. This is awesome training for building up stamina for long descents. If you have a BMX or jump type bike even better.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Ride in that ‘attack position’ even when you don’t have to. i.e. take every opportunity as a bit of training. You’ve identified that that is a weakness so when you are just coasting down a road or track that you may sit back on, instead, drop you saddle and practice holding your weight and pumping/working the bike.
    You can achieve a similar thing climbing or on the flat too; drop your saddle (or at least get out of it) and grind or sprint a higher gear than normal.
    Lots of different and for me interesting / fun ways to build power and stamina in your legs than gym work.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Agree with BigDummy.

Gym work with deadlifts and squats. Start with light weights then slowly work up.

skydragon
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, time for some Gym work!!

(will also try and get over to pump track and spend more time out of the saddle when riding)

Toddboy
    Free Member

Make sure that you concentrate on getting your form correct with deadlifts and squats. Plenty of examples on youtube.

SirHC

If you have a decent pump track somewhere near head there and ride it fast, pedalling every corner. Train there regularly and increase your distance bit by bit. You only need 20 – 30 minutes at a time to really make a difference. This is awesome training for building up stamina for long descents. If you have a BMX or jump type bike even better.

I bypassed the gym (hate the place) and spent an hour at the pump track a week, probably the only place where you can ride something physically demanding continuously. Also teaches you to pump through obstacles and gain speed without pedalling!

parkesie
    Free Member

Squats. Also you might be squatting too far for too long on the bike and not realising.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Exactly Sir HC, strength, stamina and skillz all at the same time. Oh and its bl88dy great fun too 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Really not convinced building fast twitch muscle will be of any use if the descent is longer than 10 seconds. You need to build endurance not strength.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leg Strength when descending’ is closed to new replies.