Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • lefty wheel not coming off…
  • sefton
    Free Member

my lefty front wheel wont come away from the fork.

in fact when I turn the allen key the plug seems to pop out of the treads

hoping its the threads on the plug and not the hub

stumpy01

Do you still have to undo the disc caliper to get the wheel off??
    If so…you have done that, haven’t you?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What he said…. ^^^^

z1ppy

😈 good call from Stumpy, but otherwise my ‘old’ style lefty, if you’ve gotten the axle bolt completely loose, then (as long as the caliper is removed) the wheel will come off.

sefton
    Free Member

yep caliper is removed .haha

when I wind the nut, instead of the wheel being pushed away from the shock. loads of pressure seems to build up behind the cap and then the cap pings out. I think the threads are goosed.

Like I said I hope its not the threads in the hub.

when the cap is removed I can wind the nut all the way out (basically not threaded into the fork) but the wheel still will not budge.

not sure if I need to get the rubber hammer out – or remove the disc and get the wd40 out

amedias
    Free Member

Sounds like the bearings have seized onto the axle and hence the bolt is unwinding (but not pulling the hub free), building up tension, and then popping as it either reaches the end or has pulled a thread.

You can take the cap off the outside with a pin-spanner to inspect the bolt and end of axle threads to see if you’ve done any damage, but getting the wheel off now sounds like its going to need some careful persuasion (possibly with a rubber mallet and block of wood against the inside of the hub face…

sefton
    Free Member

…A GOOD OLD FASHIONED WHACK THEN 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘lefty wheel not coming off…’ is closed to new replies.