• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lefty hybrid problem
  • Bolt

While out on a ride last night my lefty hybrid fork has started playing up!
    First the lockout wouldn’t come on then it has developed about 20mm of undamped travel at the start of the stroke which caused quite a heavy knock going downhill over rough ground.

The rebound damping seems to be very fast also.

Im suspecting the damper catridge has leaked or got air in it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    Do you repair maintain your own leftys?
    If not who do you recommend for a lefty service?

Cheers Bolt

z1ppy

I’ve always used Tony @ Thumbprint tuning, give him a ring (don’t rely on an email!)

Bolt

Thanks Z1ppy will give him a call

Anyone service their own leftys?

Cheers

rolkin
    Free Member

could it still be in warranty? i think you are covered for 2 years.

DanW
    Free Member

My Lefty rebound does feel fast compared to others forks too, even from new and also since being serviced so I think it a characteristic of the Lefty. I have my XLR only a few clicks from the slowest setting. To me, I feel the very active first portion of travel makes the rebound feel a little underdamped compared to other forks which are a bit stickier in this early part of the travel.

Maybe someone can correct me about this, but both the PBR and XLR forks have a platform lockout rather than a rigid lockout. The stock setting is almost rigid and it can be tuned a little to be even former but you will always have a small amount of movement when locked out with a Lefty. What this seems to mean in practice is that it takes a bit of flow of fluid to firm everything up at the start of a ride which might feel like the lockout is on or working but it should only be temporary.

The other thing with the lockout not feeling like it is working and having 20mm of undamped travel is that I had this when the needle bearings were well overdue a reset. Topping out the fork is a 2 minute job and takes out this sloppiness at the start of the travel. Although the hybrid Leftys reduce the need for this, they do still need some manual intervention from time to time.

These are just my observations from riding Leftys so take it with a pinch of salt. I would thoroughly recommend TF Tuning for better advice and servicing if needed. I struggled to get hold of Tony @ Thumbprint when a service was due, whilst TF were super helpful on the phone, had very reasonable prices and a very, very quick turnaround time. I’m 99% sure TF would be the guys to carry out work under warranty in the UK if it came to that too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lefty hybrid problem’ is closed to new replies.