Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leftover roast beef, curry recipe needed
  • Stoner
    Free Member

You guys are good at this. I dont have much experience of cooking “Indian” curries. I have some left over brisket which I have chunked up and looks good for a curry. The spices drawer has a fairly wide range of curry ingredients like garam masala, corianders, fenugreek, cumin and paprikas. Also got onions, some root veg, tinned toms, chick peas etc in the cupboards.

Anyone got a recipe then?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Use all of that. Some Turmeric too. Curry powder if you have it, Fresh or powdered ginger too. Some chillis or chilli powder.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tick – im home alone and jayne made a roast in the slow cooker yesterday – left overs tonight for me. curried roast sounds good !

Stoner
    Free Member

*rummages in drawer*

Got tumeric and powdered ginger., and chilli powder.

Who buys this stuff? I do the shopping round these parts and it’s not me!

SO how much of each? half a teaspoon each in some hot oil then in goes the beef and then onions?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Yep can use half a teaspoon, curries are more a blend of flavours though so I always just put in “an amount” and then adjust through cooking if more or less flavour is needed. Cumin is your friend. I would gently fry all your ingredients ina bit of oil and then put in the spices, cook for a minute or 2, then put in the chopped tomatoes and wait for the flavours to come together.

Stoner
    Free Member

got it. I shall have a go.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Have a look for cardomom pods too. Crack open 4 or 5 and drop them in the spice mix.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Also remember some salt and pepper. Keep tasting and adjust the spice balance if needed. chuck a couple of bay leaves in too if you have them.

Stoner
    Free Member

would you believe it, there are cardamom pods in there too. I have never noticed them before.

I need to have a word with the wife later. See what else she’s been buying…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Fresh ginger, garlic, chilli and onion in a food proceesor, blitz it up to a paste, fry it off, add cumin, ground coriander, some garram masala and maybe some fenugreek seeds, cook for a bit longer, add beef, and some beef stock, reduce to the desired consitancy, add chick peas, spinach or whatever veg you like cook that through and serve it up.

Essentially it’s a lambs saag recipe, but would go well with beef.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the spices have been hanging around for a while, prepare to be a bit disappointed*, or use shedloads of them. 🙂 And just whack in more garlic than you think. Finally, there are never too many onions in a curry.

*Having experienced a flavourless dish when going according to a recipe and using a teaspoon of this, teaspoon of that, etc.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

To add body & colour, to the above I would add tomato puree, Dark soy (which also gives a bit of saltiness) & a dash of wine vinegar. I basically use a bit of everything in the store cupboard! I generally whack it in the oven after the initial cooking to let the flavours combine nicely.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im cooking it now to eat tomorrow. Always better let to sit for a day. Same goes for Lasagne. In sandwiches.

yossarian
    Free Member

Don’t forget a little honey or sugar to give a little sweetness. Actually a teaspoon of red currant jelly or marmalade works too.

Klunk
    Free Member

2 onions chopped fried in oil for a few minutes add 2 tbsps of ginger and garlic paste fry on a high heat for a few minutes add 2 – 3 tsps garam masala & 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp chilli powder or cayenne pepper more or less on your bent ! 🙂 fry for 2 minutes, add your meat keep frying for 5 – 10 mins keeping it moving at all times add a tin of tomatoes simmer for five minutes add some yogurt simmer for further 20 mins… serve with rice fresh corriander naan the usual gubbins.

Stoner
    Free Member

not tried that before, yossarian. I shall see what Ive got on the shelf.

Stoner
    Free Member

honey added.
    Taste’s good. Not very hot as it will be for the boys to eat as well.
    Will add yoghurt tomorrow
    Thank you gents.

z1ppy

+1 for leaving it a day, just done the mince for tomorrow’s lasagne, & left over lasagne sarnies are lush

For sweetness ketchup works for convience or I use reduced coke mix I boil ham in (frozen in small tubs in the freezer), from nigella ham coke recipe.

Thread saved to favourites 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

I expect mines will end up more like chilli beef.

Tucking into the left over carrot butternut squash and corriander soup just now after a lovely ride home through autumn.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Leftover roast beef, curry recipe needed’ is closed to new replies.