• This topic has 61 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Leeds/Liverpool canal……………start point?
  • Garry_Lager

Think you have to start Princes Dock as said – a lot of industrial heritage there and will make a nice contrast to the when you get out into the countryside. You can have a kick-off pint in the Green Man on Vauxhall Rd (Shake hands scene from Boys from the Black Stuff).

Wouldn’t it make sense as you’d be presumably getting the train to central Liverpool anyhow?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’m moving to Shipley next week lads, so would be happy to meet you for the last 13 miles?

I know it’s a cop out, but I’ll be able to see it from my window. Plus, I don’t fancy riding all the way to Liverpool and back.

🙂

P.s. Loads of nice pubs in Shipley/Saltaire.

ton

thinking of barnoldswick for the night stopover.
    4 pubs, 2 of which are camra rated. 8)

voodoo_chile

the green man has no bike storage !!!

shredder
    Free Member

Welcome to the area Glitter just up the road in Thackley

voodoo_chile

have a pint at the linacre in bootle ,BITD had one of the only 2 level pubs to serve canal goers although it is now only serving at ground level

Garry_Lager

the green man has no bike storage !!!

Good point. Not an alehouse to leave your bikes outside tbf.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

shredder – Cheers mate, how’s the riding around there? Been to Baildon Moor and liked it. It seems like there’s loads of stuff in the area and it’ll be fun getting to know the local trails! 🙂

jimnicho
    Free Member

Barnoldswick is a long way past the half-way point!!!

I rode from Botany Bay (Chorley ish) to home (Clayton-le-moors) which was 20 miles. I had to do a quick 2 minute diversion via road about 5 minutes in, and you have to cross over to the other side of the canal at Rishton/church which is steps, so I hope your bike is light 😉

I’m following this thread with interest. Hopefully I can use the info when I do Leeds to Liverpool in September.

Are you looking for cheap overnight stay, or pushing the boat out? I could recommend both in Clayton about 5 mins ride from the canal.

shredder
    Free Member

Very good loads to link in Esholt / Calverley / Thackley Buck Woods / Otley / Baildon Moor. Give me a shout if you want a pootle round when youre sorted.

voodoo_chile

garry, too true, but not as bad as what people say ,Ton could do from Pier head to say Bankhall way in about 20 mins ,then could jump off at Irlam road and have a pint in the “the little merton ”

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Thanks shredder, will do!

ton

looking for BnB, preferably in a good boozer.
    one that sells bank top would be perfect.

Gooner
    Free Member

Ton,

i thought we did it last night

i certainly felt like i’d ridden it all thismorning when i got up!

ton

😆

jimnicho
    Free Member

This place is literally a stone’s throw from the canal, but the rates seem a little expensive. Decent pub just up the road.

Maple Lodge

Plenty of choice food wise too.

CHB

looking good

ourmaninthenorth

recommend the Eagle and Child in Bispham particularly if their beer festival is in full-flow…

First weekend in May. But there’s plenty of decent beer the rest of the year…. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Has the section around Leigh been opened up ( that is the leeds liverpool is it not?) – when I rode that a few years ago tgher were anti bike gates all along it – very annoying. Used to be banned on a private bit of it in Manchester too IIRC but I think that got sorted

bobblehat
    Free Member

Agree with timc … you got to start at the Pier Head/Liver Buildings. If you want a real good view to get you on the way … cycle up the lock flight from Stanley dock on to the Vauxhall canal level … and look back towards the river from the last lock before you turn left onto the canal towpath which heads north. You can access the lock flight though a tiny open doorway in a big brick wall opposite the massive brick built tobacco warehouse. Cross over to the left of the canal at the first bridge available, and cycle up the lock flight towpath.

The Bootle – Rimrose Valley stretch is OK if you keep moving and don’t engage the locals in conversation. I’m surprised to hear about the air pistols! Ride the Bootle-Rimrose stretch twice a day, 4 days a week and never seen or heard (or felt!) any one taking a pot shot. Is this a new bit of entertainment for the local hoodies? Not seen anything too scary in the last 7 years on that stretch … guess it depends on what you’re used to!

(OT) Funniest thing I saw on the LL at Norris Green was two PC’s on their kitted out HT’s coming towards me in the distance heading south from Broadway Bridge. One male PC seemed to have a very large cardboard box balanced on the bars and the WPC had two plastic shopping bags, hanging one on each grip. It looked so peculiar as they headed towards me wobbling a bit under their loads.. It could have been just a bit of shopping at Broadway as they headed back to Eaton Road Station…. but I doubted it. WTF, I just had to stop and ask … (I’d spoken to them before on several occasions).

I was right. They’d confiscated a whole box of Stella and the two bags full of assorted beer from the scalls on Broadway Bridge, no doubt nicked from the Broadway shops; they told me with a slight grin. I didn’t ask for an invite to the Eaton Road party that night! The image of this police bicycle beer run kept me amused for the last 8 miles home anyway! Hope they got the goods back without incident! Bet they didn’t train for that on the Bikey Training Course!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Ton – The offer still stands for you to park at my house then if needed you can catch the local train to Liverpool town centre for a couple of quid.

Just let me know

ton

thanks for the offer john.
    we might have a lift to liverpool, but if i need to drive i will be in touch.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Leeds/Liverpool canal……………start point?’ is closed to new replies.