Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leeds – getting there
  • DickBarton

Heading to Leeds on Saturday for my cousin's 25th birthday bash – need to go from Edinburgh via York (well 15 miles south of York) then on to Leeds.

Google Maps reckons 6 hours…is that accurate? Any roads/sections I should avoid or use to make up time?

Cheers.

ton

a1 all the way to the a64, a64 to york, then a64 into the center of leeds.
    6 hours should see you fine.

pacemaker
    Free Member

A1, then onto the a19, through the tyne tunnel,(avoiding a1 around the Metro centre if its open!)
    A19 to join a1 north on Boroughbridge then off onto the a63 to Selby? (15 mile south of York)

A1 has lots of 50mph stretches with average speed camera's between Durham and Boroughbridge

pacemaker
    Free Member

Use the a1/a63 rather than the a64/a19 if you are going to Selby as you will queue around the Designer outlet junction on a Saturday.

DickBarton

And does the A19 thingy avoid the average speed cameras? Would M73 then across from Scotch Corner be quicker? Stopping in at Elvington so Selby might be better to come off.

Thanks for tips…

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure Edinburgh to York is under 4 hours via coldstream, not A1 all the way. York to leeds c45 mins on a64, depends whereabouts in Leeds and Edinburgh though.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I've driven from Glasgow a few times and it only took 4 hours. M74 – M6 – A66 – M1 I think. Surely it shouldn't take 6 from Edinburgh? If it does maybe you could cut down onto the M74?

pacemaker
    Free Member

A19 does avoid the average speed camera section.
    M73 then A66 seems to take forever.

I cover all of the North east from Edinburgh down to Lincolnshire as a field engineer, so regularly cover that journey from home near Wetherby.

Stu_N

I used to do that trip a lot.

Settled on A701 – M74 – M6 – A66 – A1/A1(M) – A58 if I might hit County Durham/ Tyneside at peak time, otherwise just stuck to A1 all the way.

PB was 3 hours 15 for A1. I wouldn't recommend trying that now.

MartinGT
    Free Member

If you get the train it goes into York before Leeds 🙂

Bevvie up on the choo choo then 🙂

Spaceman
    Free Member

A68, A697, A1, off at Jn 60(signposted Sedgefield teeside) over to the A19 at Middlesboro, down A19 to York. There are miles and miles of 50mph roadworks with SPECs average speed cameras on them on the A1 between Scotch Corner and Wetherby, total pain. Obviously A64 to Leeds. Five and a half to six hours I'd say.

pacemaker
    Free Member

There are no camera's on the section of the A1 between Wetherby and the A1/A19 junction at Dishforth at the moment (as of Friday)

Ed2001
    Free Member

I would just avoid Leeds altogether your sure to be disappointed.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was going to say don't go down as far as the A64, turn off at Wetherby & follow the A58. Less busy. But then I noticed 'Elvington' – which is just off the A64. Oh well

Newcastle/North Tyneside to Leeds is about 2 hours. Edinburgh to Newcastle I haven't a clue. But as mentioned above, when you get to about Morpeth, start following the A19 instead of the A1

pacemaker
    Free Member

If your going to Elvington, ignore my Selby advise!

A64 then off at the A1079/Hull junction. 🙂

So A1 to the A19 junction at Morpeth,north of Newcastle,A19 through the tunnel, A19 south to Dishforth, A1 from Dishforth, A64 to the A1079 junction, head for Hull, imediately after leaving the roundabout hang a right!

I would stick to that as a route as you can sit at a sensible (if not possibly illegal) cruising speed all the way.

Avoid using the York outer ring road if its during Saturday day time!

DickBarton

Thanks for the info pacemaker…I have another daft question – are there any traffic planner website where I can stick in the roads/junctions I want to take so it then plots the whole thing and I can print it out to give to a passenger (I tend to 'sleep' whilst behind the wheel so I'll be rubbish for looking out for junctions and signposts! 😉 )

woody2000

There's the A1 Dishforth to Barton roadworks to consider, they're 50mph AFAIK

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ahh but if you use the A19 you rejoin the A1 south of dishforth, so those roadworks aren't an issue

theotherjonv

last time I was in Newcastle (early Nov) the roadworks at the Tyne Tunnel were a royal PITA. Anyone local to advise whether you're better crossing one of the Tyne Bridges instead, even allowing for the Team valley shopping?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Leeds – getting there’ is closed to new replies.