• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Leeds and Manchester rides from the city centres?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ll be in Leeds and Manchester next week and was wondering about taking the bike. I’ll only have 1-2 hours at most, riding doesn’t need to be mind blowing as I’ll be on the rigid SS which makes the trails come alive 😉

I’ve got as far as Clayton Vale in Manchester as I’ll be at the velodrome anyway (or maybe Macc Forest if I can bear getting on yet another train) and Google tells me there a network of awesome inner city singletrack in Leeds but aside from browsing strava segments I can’t find too many specifics…

… if anyone has a GPS file or inspiration for a shortish route do-able from each city centre then that would be very much appreciated 🙂

craig24
    Free Member

Clayton Vale is definitely worth a blast round if your close by. You can also pick up National Cycle route 6 in most of Manchester, following this will take you right into Philips Park (about 30mins), there you have 3 short red trails and a few blues with other bits to link up with.

I’m sure there is more places to ride but that’s the side of Manchester I’m familiar with.

DanW
    Free Member

That is great info, thanks.

el_boufador

Leeds: go exploring up mean wood valley. A bit muddy at the moment though, hopefully drying up though.

craig24
    Free Member

Quick route I’ve drawn out for you –

https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3636401-gpx-for-danw/

Takes you from the centre to Philips and onto Clifton Country Park then back. Doesn’t take in the other 2 red trails but you will pass them and can easily add them in.

Be careful thought recently been some bike thefts in Manchester more on the other side though –

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fallowfield-loop-attack-cyclists-warning-11570705

ads678

Leeds, as above Meanwood valley. Some stuff around Temple Newsem, or head up Dewsbury road to Middleton woods, bottom of the woods is near the John Charles centre for sport.

Simon

Have a look at this Leeds “urban” ride with lots of nice off-road sections we did a couple of weeks ago, it might give you some ideas.

https://www.strava.com/activities/616571022

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, that is just the type of thing I was after

el_boufador

more stuff

more stuff

Simon

Love that ring road singletrack when it’s dry

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks again and thank you Craig for drawing up the route. I’ve probably got more time in Manchester for a ride than Leeds but it seems it might be better the other way around 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Leeds and Manchester rides from the city centres?’ is closed to new replies.