Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lee Quarry…worth a day out?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I wad thinking of hitting Lee Quarry on the 16th as I’m travelling up from Banbury to Fremington for the 17th. Is it worth spending a day there or is there better nearby? Is there a good place to start off from for LQ?

mafiafish
    Free Member

If you don’t mind doing a little homework then Bridleways around Hebden and Tod are probably better but Lee Quarry can be fun if it’s not too wet and windy. I would definitely avoid it in anything above a moderate breeze as it’s really exposed. If you’re on an xc bike/hardtail Crag Quarry is a good leg busting, flowy trail.

totalshell

if you want a play day and the sun is shining and there is nothing more than a mild breeze and it hasnt rained for a week then go to lee quarry.

if you want to go riding in woods on a trail go to gisburn forest trails

if you fancy some hard core english bridleway riding do hebden bridge/tod or the MTW.

only one winner if your a mountain biker.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ll disagree with the comment above Lee Quarry dries out really quickly so it’s the weather on the day that matters.

That said it can be grim and it is exposed, Cragg should be done if the wind is down and is worth the climb

If you plan to go drop into Ride On in Rawtenstall and they will give you pointers. Ideally get a local to guide

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

is the 16th a weekend? if so, Cock Hill!

i can ride to Lee Quarry from my door but rarely bother, not a fan.

Bregante

Lee and Cragg are good to throw into a longer local ride but not really worth traveling very far too as a destination in itself IMO. Far better to ask a local to show you round some of the natural stuff in the area and include the quarries as part of the loop.

vickypea
    Free Member

You could do Lee and Cragg together but it’s not a full day out unless you go round them more than once.

ransos
    Free Member

Lee and Cragg are good to throw into a longer local ride but not really worth traveling very far too as a destination in itself IMO.

Agreed, but Cragg is right on the Mary Townley loop so plenty of opportunities for natural trails in the area. I think of Lee and Cragg as fun diversions to do as part of a longer natural ride.

D0NK

Lee is fine for all weather, cragg is very exposed (and a bit too pedally for some peoples tastes) so avoid in the wind.
    Lee shouild keep you happy for a couple of hours, longer if you like to “play”. The main route is good for a couple of laps, there’s a red and black option at the far end so try both. In the middle there are a lot of options for messing around, 3 short downhills, a pump track, a more jumpy pump track, a bit of woodwork, a jump track, some practice drops. If you’re into that then that’s another couple of hours worth. A trip up to cragg and a couple of laps of that is another 1-2 hours.
    There’s ways to link it up with local BWs aswell if you prefer riding to playing.

tymbian
    Free Member

Jaffejoffe. .the 16th is a Saturday ..
    Anyone want to show my son and myself around?

tymbian
    Free Member

I’m on my through/ going up to Fremington for the Ard Rock event on Sunday the 17th. and wanted to get some riding in on the Saturday. If I knew the area I’d include it in a loop but as time is limited I don’t really want to go discovering on my own..

grobin13
    Free Member

If you are doing the ard rock then lee quarry would be a good warm up. Personally I happily drive over an hour regularily to mess around there. You can session lots of it or do multiple laps. The final decent from the cattle grid (you will know when you are there) is worth sessioning aswell of you like a bit of airtime.

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ll be staying in Waterfoot, where would be a good place to start from or head to?

mcnultycop

You can spin up to the car park easily from Waterfoot. I love lee and cragg but haven’t been up for ages. I’m slow and not very brave at the moment after a big crash, but could be up for a couple of hours there on 16th.

binners

I’d be up for showing you round. I’m sure we could get a few of us out. I’ve never been that fussed about Lee, but I bloody love Cragg. And the link trail back to Lee is brilliant! As has already been pointed out, there are some great trails around where you can include Cragg and lee as part of a really good loop.

You’re staying in waterfoot….?

Northwind

I liked it- did it as a stop on a long drive so I wanted a straightforward ride. People call it a giant skills area and seem to think that’s a criticism but I’d take that as a compliment- it’s the least natural riding experience I’ve ever had outside, I think, but as long as you’re not expecting a lovely XC ride I reckon that’s just fine.

Horribly waymarked though.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ binners & mcnultycop…. yep would Definately be up for that. I’m not a great climber though so be warned. We’re book in in at the Shoe and Boot.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry…worth a day out?’ is closed to new replies.