Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lee Quarry with Kids – Yay or Nay?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Lots of good info on here about the pump track for weans, but not the main trails.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lee-quarry-trailhead-update

We’re heading up to Hebden Bridge on Saturday to watch the race on Sunday and I was thinking of a stop off to get a bit of biking with the kids. They’re 6 and 8 years old, and reasonably proficient.

Is it still parking at the bottom of the hill followed by a long grind to the plateau?
    Is the main trail an option for kids if you portage a few key sections? Have you taken your kids up there successfully? Don’t really want to go all that way for the pump track.

It’s been a while since I was there, but I remember thinking it was an excelent venue, which kinda suggests that it won’t be that suitable for the weans…

binners

Lee Quarry is an absolutely ideal place to take the kids. the Binnerettes have been riding it since they were 5 and 8, and love it. You don’t have to do it all. You can session the bits they enjoy, and miss out the more bonkers bits. Its all so compact in a small area, you can cut it short at any time, if little legs are getting tired. Cragg would be even better because it is just a massive pump trck, but its a slog up there, with no parking nearby

Simon

My 9 and 11 year olds would love bits of Lee Quarry. Unfortunately I would never be able to get them to ride/push up the hill from the car park to the trails.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of taking my 4 year old for a session on the pump tracks and stuff.

AlexSimon

I’m not a fan of Lee, but my boys really like it.
    They’re happy to repeat all the bits they like.
    They’ve never made it up to Cragg, but I bet they’d love that even more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they like it but getting up to the bits they like is a massive pain in the arse.

scaled
    Free Member

If you’re just going for the pump track then Philips park at Clayton Vale is somewhat more accessible for nippers, they even have a tiny pump track for balance bikes

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agreed and the trails are easier to ride as well

darrenspink
    Free Member

Hurstwood has a nice little trail which is a piece of piss to repeat and repeat. Good for kids and beginners it is very small for enjoyable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cheers for that one darren I will try that with the kids

have you done any of the routes from there are they suitable for little kids on 20″ bikes?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Cheers for that one darren I will try that with the kids

have you done any of the routes from there are they suitable for little kids on 20″ bikes?

Stared doing the rams clough route with my lad – http://www.pmba.org.uk/Hurstwood.htm#Trails got a quarter of the way and had to turn round because of the weather. It seemed pretty tame, give it a go should be pretty compact and dry at the moment.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers they can climb and have done the rivvy climb but they still need smoothish to get down

Cheers for that good to have another option nearish me.

RustySpanner

Drop me a line if you’re bringing the kids to Hurstwood.
    We’ll put the kettle on.

Nice little pump track in Whitaker Park in Rawtenstall too.
    Needs using.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Will be over in the summer at some point and will coordinate it with your day off,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry with Kids – Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.