Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lee Quarry and cragg quarry
  • Lummox

Hi all

Travelling up from Hampshire later on in the month to have a play at lee quarry, hopefully also cragg.

Questions are these

Where's the nearest and most appropriate place i can park a small combo van to gain access to both the Quarries midweek? Trying to maximise our time up there?

Is there anywhere local to lee quarry that you'd recommend for a spot of lunch?

Cheers Al

U31
    Free Member

Lee quarry itself has a good car park at the Kingfisher centre.. OL13 0BB.

When you follow the first red, on your left as you look at the info board at the top of the bit where all the berms are above the skills area, you will go up a climb of about 300 meters at the very back rim of the quarry… at the top and pedal a short while, look left near an info board and you will see a rubble trail leading off.. follow this to get to cragg. I havent ridden this myself so cant say if its officially open

Lummox

cheers U31, had a quick look at the trail guide on here and it gives the kingfisher centre as a suitable parking location at the weekend, we're visiting midweek which perhaps might be a problem. Quite probably not though.

MrSparkle

Dunno about grub near Lee but the Buck at Cowpe (below Cragg) is good. Landlord is a keen supporter of the trails too.

U31
    Free Member

Not a problem at all, there is a few unfinished roads away from the conference centre where you can park,or look right from there and there is a bespoke car park fenced off for the quarry users.

Grub? The rose and Bowl ( google em) Top bloke for a landlord, he's a keen rider, bikers with muddy kit welcome and a great menu…

Lummox

cool, plan is to ride at lee then lunch then cragg before heading south again.

LOOOOOOONG way home

Lummox

Awesome thanks for the help on that, just cragg now to work out 😀

U31
    Free Member

Good luck finding it, it took us about an hour the first time! 🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Lee Quarry :- once you get to futures park you will see a large car park next to it, but if you can you can drive up a short narrow pathway which leads you to the first gate at lee quarry but on the right just before it there's a small space to park if its not full 🙂 that's where we park, just a bit easier for lazy people 😀

U31
    Free Member

PSA…
    But in doing this you miss out a 400 yard very fast fireroad blatt after the doing the singletrack down to the gates, and you also miss the new bits of singletrack at the bottom leading in to the car park and road areas, built to keep us from speeding past the houses at the bottom!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ohhh i saw that when i was there on tuesday! very true if you park your car at the very bottom you get a nice fast downhill, wondered where those trails led to in the trees!

U31
    Free Member

Try em next time, they are short but they are the bomb!

wors

Not sure i'd drive all that way for a day. Why not stop over and do gisburn too?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Have to say that Lee Quarry is good fun, but i wouldn't drive halfway across England to get there! ( & I live just over the hill from there & ride past Cragg to get there).

Best idea is to drive up to Gisburn, spend the day there & avail yourselves of the pub nearby (think it's also a guest house?) then hit Lee Quarry on your way home the next day.

elaineanne
    Free Member

ey wot 'wors' said… youd be better off at Gisburn forest for the day.
    Lee quarry is very good but small compared to your usual sized trail centres. ( if your coming from miles away then 'Gisburn' is ya best bet…

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

If you are after something a bit different then Lee and Cragg are well worth it :))

Doing all of the Lee Quarry purpose built stuff, the Red, the Black and practise downhills a couple of times each then wiring the trail at Cragg (at least a couple of laps) will be an intense workout.

Gisburn is great and out in the wilds, but similar to other trail centres.

YMMV.

Cheers, Paul

Lummox

Hi all, thanks for your alternate suggestions, I think our riding time will be a bit limited, as is our leave allowing us to make the trip. I think the quarry's sound great and it's not something we've got access to down here in the sunny south so it'll be something different.

As I can make out parking as per the stw guide should be fine. Just need to sort out the possible extra cragg quarry bit

chorlton
    Free Member

Hi Lummox. If you email me when you know what day you are thinking of going, then I could show you around Lee and Cragg if you like?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

well i currently live in mytholmroyd just after hebden bridge, and ive ridden from here all the way to lee quarry spent about 3 hours there and riding all the way back home, fair hard cause its mostly uphill on the way back but that's how much its worth going 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry and cragg quarry’ is closed to new replies.