Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lee Quarry Accomodation Help
  • scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Afternoon chaps,

We’re planning a trip to Lee next month and have had a click about on the web to look for places to stay. Can’t seem to find anything within our price range, we’re hoping to find a campsite really.
    Like I say the web seemed a bit dry, does anyone know of any places near by that just don’t have a presence on the web that would be worth looking into.
    Cheers

totalshell

you could stay with the gypsy/ travelling folk who usually stay at the bottom of the hill. Seriously though it aint no tourist hotspot i’d think that todmorden or nebby bridge ofer the best cultural opportunity. tod cricket ground has a small camp site and cheap beer!

Harry_the_Spider

Renegade Marmalade off of here has a B&B withing comfortable spitting distance.

http://www.marmaladesbandb.co.uk/

grum
    Free Member

I’ve not been but is Lee Quarry really a place you would travel a long way to and get overnight accomodation? Not the impression I got from mates who’ve been (no disrespect at all intended to the trail builders etc).

Harry_the_Spider

It’s alright for a mess about for a day or so. Plenty of other stuff up there too… Cragg Quarry, MTL etc.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

We’re from the south, anywhere where there’s hills is worth the drive!

Harry_the_Spider

Long way to drive just for Lee Quarry as the route is only a handful of miles long. Worth a night around Austwick/Ingleton too if you are making a trip of it IMHO.

This place is OK. http://www.dalesbridge.co.uk/

grum
    Free Member

Might be worth staying/riding in (Singletrack HQ) Hebden Bridge too – it’s not too far from Lee Quarry and is a nice place imo.

emmodd
    Free Member

Second Marmalade’s b&b – stayed there myself a few weeks ago and was excellent. Only 2 mins from the car park at the bottom of Lee Quarry too.

geoffj

Seriously though it aint no tourist hotspot

+1

FFS don’t book into accommodation in the Rossendale Valley what ever you do. Hebden Bridge or Todmorden are passable or maybe the South Lakes / Kirkby Lonsdale and then have a trip across. Seriously!

RenagadeMarmalade
    Free Member

Cheers for the mentions chaps…

FFS don’t book into accommodation in the Rossendale Valley whatever you do

I’m not going to say that Rossendale Valley is suitable for everyone, but me and Mat are both cyclist’s and moved to the valley for the MTBing, we know loads of routes from 2 hours to full days of off road trails. The B and B is aimed at MTBers and having stayed in a fair few places in our time we think we have catered for them perfectly.

If you’re looking for high end accommodation with and artisan bakery next door and juice bars powered by solar power Rossendale aint for you…try Hebden. If you’re looking for a place to stay close to Lee Quarry that’s affordable and a weekend that’s all about the riding then Rossendale is for you.

raddersflixton
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, we found a couple of decent places in Rossenale to stay, two in particular within a short cycle ride of Lee Quarry. Number 678 guest house, excellent spot, lock up cycle facilities, the beds were the most comfortable we’ve ever stayed in, and the breakfast was superb, as much hot and cold food as you could eat. Excellent pub, The Hargreaves, just a short walk away for good ales and food. Peersclough Farm, same distance from Hargreaves Arms in the other direction. Working farm, lower rate, again good food, no problem with locking up cycles. As for Rossendale being a tourist hotspot, it depends what you want. As cyclists we liked the hill cycling challenge, excellent countryside, good watering holes. Hebden Bridge is a bit worn now and getting somewhat dismal. Our opinion… but Rossendale is for us!

luckydog
    Free Member

Camping at cricket club in Todmorden(singletrack HQ!)then you have the trails around tod/hebden and lee/cragg quarry up the road.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Personnally I would try and stay with the Marmalade crew as local knowledge is king.

As to alternatives to Rossendale I would pick Ramsbottom over Hebden any day of the week, great restaurants, great pubs http://www.hareandhoundsbury.com/ and riding from your door including Cragg and Lee Quarry in riding range

kawato
    Free Member

Blimey if you’re from the South, head for the Surrey Hills..although i assume you want a change from that!!!

Anyway, Lee Quarry in a twon called Bacup – my da’d from there and it is possibly one of the most horrible places on earth – it wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t a single B&B in the town – think Royston Vasey with a bit of Chernobyl thrown in… I presume you have a car, so your best bet is probs to stay in Tod, or even better Hebden Bridge and make the drive over and if you have time ride some of the loveliness in Hebden/Tod!

globalti
    Free Member

If you camp, carry a gun.

RenagadeMarmalade
    Free Member

think Royston Vasey with a bit of Chernobyl thrown in

Genuine LOL… probably should try and defend the place but that is actually funny! The lads have already visited and loved it…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/marmalades-bb-accomodation-on-the-doorstep-of-lee-quarry

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

camp at stoodly pike its awesome ;p

montylikesbeer

try the olde boot and shoe, which is on the MTL just below crag quarry.

Good food and local knowledge as well.

http://www.yeoldebootandshoe.co.uk

kawato
    Free Member

Sorry Renegade, that is a totally unfair way to judge Bacup or ‘Back-up’ as was once sprayed on the welcome sign/rock.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry Accomodation Help’ is closed to new replies.