Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Lee Quarry
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Rode there again today and was impressed with the new bits, also rode up to Cowpe Moss near the Mary Townley loop to find they'd build bike trails through the already quite good quarry on the top. I take it from the complete lack of signs this is not officially open?

Any news on the link from Lee Quarry to the MT loop as this would be a big plus for the area?

stumpyjon

I went up for the first time in a while yesterday, the new descent lines are excellent.

The new stuff in Cragg Quarry is definitely not open yet, they're still building it. The link between the quarries is planned for this year, funding is in place as is land owner permissions I believe. I think it might be the autumn before it's open though. Also work planned for Facit quarry in the autumn. Sure Tony will be along soon with a definitive up date.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I've noticed that the new trails cut off a lot of the good stuff already there such that less of the quarry will be practically rideable

there is also some bits where you think why did they build it when the exsiting trail was challenging all be it not so "trail centre"

it's not "open"

the link is due in the autumn

I would also love to understand why kickers going up hill or just as you go into a berm add value unless they are the trail centre version of speed bumps

I'm sure lots of people will be on to tell me why I'm wrong

nbt

more info on the planned developments, from the horses mouth:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fao-tonyl-or-others-in-the-know

Andituk
    Free Member

I would also love to understand why kickers going up hill or just as you go into a berm add value unless they are the trail centre version of speed bumps

If you do it right (apparently, I struggle enough with flat bits..) they should be speeding you up, not slowing you down..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was up in the quarry Sunday and was distressed to see what they have done up there. The existing lines have been deliberately cut off for no good reason that I can see. In one place, the current line over a brow has been chopped off and leaves a 2 foot drop onto the new line. Dangerous if you ask me. Where the new line cuts the old, the old has been backfilled with spoil to kill it.

This will mean that the townie spudheads on motorbikes will use the new stuff to get their kicks which will ruin it in a few days.

If EdO is still building the trails I find it ironic that he railed at length in print about trails being sanitised for the good of no-one and then gets his hands dirty doing just that.

Is Ryan Sorrell paid by the berm? He needs a bit of variety on his next trail.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

To an extent, I agree with the comments about the new trail cut into the quarry near cowpe moss. I always liked to ride up there and it does seem they have gone a bit overboard as it appears they have avoided using any of the already quite good features.

the website official website for lee quarry could do with keeping up to date, this forum seems to be the only place to actually find out whats happening.

Ed-O
    Free Member

They are rollers, to pump, to give you speed.

f EdO is still building the trails I find it ironic that he railed at length in print about trails being sanitised for the good of no-one and then gets his hands dirty doing just that.

I don't see much parallel between bridleway sanitisation and the building of trails specifically for mountain bikes. Why is it sanitised? Seems to me that it's now faster and has more flow. There are also lots of off piste lines still there that can be ridden. The rocks that have been placed across trails are to stop 4x4s.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If the only difference is that one is a bridleway, the other 'just' a trail then there are many similarities.

It doesn't seem to have been done in sympathy with the existing lines, but to obliterate them. Why could the two not be kept? Several of the true singletrack lines have been filled in. Why? I tried to ride the old line yesterday, but had to take to the new stuff because that's all that's left. I've been riding there for 20 years and it's been swept away in the space of weeks.

I think this will be it's undoing. Forcing motorbikes onto the new lines will destroy them. Rocks may keep out some 4×4's, but a nicked Fiesta will find it's way up there eventually.

philfive
    Free Member

don't think your getting it scott, don't treat Lee Quarry as a trail center, to me its more of a skill center. it's got everything you can expect in a small location. i just go up there and section bits and practice. they have done a great job up there and i for one am grateful.

fackit
    Free Member

I think what 'ScottCheg' is saying is that he wants it to develop a in to trail-centre rather than a "skill-center"…

It's definitely what I want for one…

or

Maybe LQ will form the skills park within the big network once (if) all the surrounding area has been linked…

In which case, fair enough.

philfive
    Free Member

i prefer the freestyle feel of lee quarry, i agree on some good linkage between the 3 quarrys with a good xc course but lee quarry should be left as it is

olie
    Free Member

Perhaps its worth mentioning that Cragg Quarry had no access prior to the new stuff.

Ok the locals all have riden up there over the years, myself included, but its now a trail centre and so has to be seen to be safe and controlled to some extent. It is after all a council provided facility.

Maybe we should be rejoicing in the offical opening up of "new" areas rather than slating the people doing the work.

I for one look forward to the extension over to Cragg being in place and ultimately the whole link between the 3 facilities.

Well done Ed, Rowan and particularly TonyL

stumpyjon

Totally with olie on this. There's a huge difference between what are effectively cheeky trails ridden by a few people and official trails with people driving for miles to ride there.

I think philfive is also right, whilst I prefer xc stuff I do think Lee Quarry is a bit unique being more skills orientated than most trail centres. It's not like we don't have loads of natural XC riding locally including the MTL. Mind you I managed to easily spend 90 minutes playing in Lee Quarry on Saturday and I didn't get on the pump track or the old black stuff, factor in the new developments and links and there's likely to be a full day's worth of riding there.

As for the motor bikes, they shouldn't be there, end of. The police UU rangers and council rangers were all out again on Saturday, that's two weekends on the trot (14 bikes confiscated the week before), even the thickest MXer is soon going to realise it's not worth their bike to get caught riding in the quarries.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

my personal view is that the development in general is great for the area and has many positives.

the negative is that the one well ridden quarry (Cragg) has had the orginal trails destroyed as continuous lines and the development effectively will limit the practical area used

for example I rode what would be in effect the southern most original trail to stay of the new build (as requested), problem is you can't a few hundred metres in a nice big row of boulders blocks the trail to mark the edge of the new trail. this repeats in numerous other areas as the new trails zig zag across the quarry width

the eastern most section bypasses what is an great original set of trails

as far as I am aware the Cragg quarry original trails were all open access for non-motorised use just as Lee Quarry was before the current build well ridden by locals. They were not "cheeky".

the other quarries in the development plan aren't the same as Cragg and as such will only add to the area.

At the end of the day my dissenting view does not matter, we get what we are given. I just question the level of spend on somewhere a bit of thought and sympatheic trail building and signage would have achieved a lot and released money to go elsewhere.

hp_source

I had a quick pootle around the Red trail today as part of a bigger ride, quite enjoyed the new stuff, and will definatley be back in drier weather to ride more. Was busier than I've seen it before too which can only be a good thing for it continued success.

On a negative front, and I may have missed this from a previous post/thread, but when did the travellers set up camp on the roads/parking at the bottom? I'm not saying they're neccessarily going to be an issue but i'd think twice about strapping my bike to the roof and wandering over the road for a post ride refresher. Or am I just being un-pc and a little prejudiced?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

but i'd think twice about strapping my bike to the roof and wandering over the road for a post ride refresher.

so would I, but I've been in there

go to Rose and Bowl for the nearest decent place, run by a mtber (Big John) but your bike will need to go in the car.

the "travellers" will be moved on next week, they arrived for the bank holiday and as usual will get moved on when everyone returns to work (council offices overlook)

they seemed to be keeping the site reasonably tidy if the bin bags were anything to go by. No additional broken glass when I've been through (Sat, Mon)

I imagine most people thought twice about posting about it due to the likely flaming from the forum "usual suspects"

kelvin

Was up at Lee this morning, loved the new stuff, that's all I've got to add.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I love the new stuff at Lee – it's incremental, and adds to the area. The new bit at Crag seems to take more than it adds IMHO.

I'm pleased that something is being done to add to the trails around here, if it was a new area that was being opened up then it would all positives as far as I was concerned. I just sigh when I see a large part of my personal biking hertitage being shovelled away without a backward glance.

On a further note, I was walking with the kids yesterday in a close area and got chatting to some bikers who had just come through Crag Quarry. They were of a similar opinion to me; that most of the tracks should have been left well alone.

fackit
    Free Member

Gypos nick stuff, simple as.

albino
    Free Member

I’m in 2 minds on this one too. I’ve been riding in and around Cragg Quarry for awhile, (although I only found out its name last week!) and the new work has definitley taken away from what was there in terms of natural flow. I was up there today and kept off the new trails as much as possible but it’s almost impossible to ride the old lines as they are now cut off by the new trails. It’s very much a stop/start affair now. From a purely selfish point of view it’s a bit frustrating as that’s where the majority of my local summer riding was going to be and with the new trails not open until Autumn/Winter I’ll have to look elsewhere/further afield, (unless the trails will be ready before the Lee Quarry link???).

However, if I put my a “long-term” hat on things look a bit different. It means there will hopefully be another top quality trail/skill centre right on my door-step. I won’t even have to step foot near a car to get to it. Some of the new lines do look very interesting and like Ed says they will definitley be faster and more flowy. The lack of Mxers is a good start and thelink up for the 3 quarries should be great. Things move on and by the look of it this should be great. I’m sure MTB riders in other areas of the country would love to have these facilities on their doorstep.

I’d still like to know what the plans are for Ding quarry. A couple of years ago there was talk of it re-opening as a quarry. If this were to happen then it would have quite an impact on everything else on the moors. Any news on this? (TonyL??)

chorlton
    Free Member

The 'trails' at Cragg quarry were not all that good. If you could have called them trails. It was just somewhere to have a bit of a mess about, on your way through to the Cowpe descent. 🙂

Having said that I haven't had a look at the new stuff yet.

albino
    Free Member

You're right they weren't all that good which is why I'm in favour overall. The new stuff looks like it will be really good it's just that you can't ride through anymore without stopping every few minutes to dodge the new stuff (what a good boy I am!…although I did notice a few tyre tracks on some bits!). And like all local riders in any area you have your favourite lines through different sections and a lot of those are gone now. But like I said, the new stuff looks like it's going to be fantastic so all in all it looks like a good step forward.

Would still be interested in the volunteer group if anything comes of that – new baby on the way soon so hopefully I'll be able to put some work in before I lose my freetime for a while 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

with the new trails not open until Autumn/Winter I’ll have to look elsewhere/further afield, (unless the trails will be ready before the Lee Quarry link???).

The new trails at Cragg are due open in weeks. Well before the link is complete.

albino
    Free Member

Thanks!!! How did you find this out?

Ed-O
    Free Member

The new trails at Cragg will be open in a couple of weeks.

albino
    Free Member

Hi Ed – Great news – do you know if the volunteer group is still going ahead? A couple of us would be interested.

lowey

Cant see what the fuss is about really. Crag was just a series of steep ups and downs, just a little bit of a playground really that was over and done with in about 5 mins. I'd give my left arm to have trails like this on my doorstep.

Still, one mans meat, another mans poison and all that.

nbt

lowey – Member

I'd give my left arm to have trails like this on my doorstep.

It's only just over't th'hill from you. They're putting in a linking trail from Healey Nab to Lee Quarry and Cragg Quarry longer term, might be a couple of years before it gets done though

lowey

I know mate, more aimed at the locals really. 😆

TonyL
    Free Member

I think the new trails in Cragg are going to be a great addition to the network (but I would say that wouldn't I). Cragg and Lee have until recently always been "cheeky trails" with no right of access for cycles and only ridden by a few locals. Part of what we have been doing is securing better access for bikes. With this new access secured and way marked trails on the ground we will be able in a year or so's time (once all the links and various other bits and peices are finished) be able to put together some pretty good Rossendale mountain bike rides leaflets/maps.

This will enable us to market the area to people other than just locals who know and use cheeky trails. The hope is this will help with the regeneration of Rawtenstall and Bacup whilst at the same time improve what is available for mountain bikers in Lancashire.

You need to take a step back and consider where we are now compared to three years ago with mountain biking in Lancashire. We now have new trails at Gisburn, Healey Nab, Lee Quarry, Cragg Quarry a new section of Pennine Bridleway and there are plans working their way through the system for several other sites to be developed and bridleway links between them all. In addition to this we have the Brownbacks xc races, Singletrack Weekender, mountain bike trials competitions, mountain bike rangers, numerous schools and youth groups out on mountain bikes and the likes of Great Rock delivering skills training. Quite a step up in activity over a relativly short period of time.

I'm hoping to add a trail building group for Rossendale to the list of activities soon I'm just working through insurance and liability issues at the moment.

Keep giving us the feedback as it will help us develop the trails, I'm sorry if anyone has lost any bits of trail you liked that is certainly not our intention hopefully some of the new bits can become new favorites?

Mark

Oh and if anyone was looking for information on Lee Quarry I'd suggest http://www.leequarrytrails.co.uk as a starting point.. There's a lot more going to happen with that 'site' very soon too 🙂

Rod

I rode at Lee Quarry for the first time on Monday – I was really impressed (if you ignore the gypos!) I think I've ridden the old stuff at Cragg Quarry lots of times in the past (assuming it's the stuff you ride past on the MTL) and, whilst it was fun for a short play around, don't think it will be much of a loss…

Just a shame I don't live in riding distance any more!

albino
    Free Member

Good stuff TonyL – and once again I think everyone involved should be given great credit for the impact you've had on the Lancs MTB scene. I don't imagine mnay other local authorities are quite as proactive in this area.

Out of interest I was reading this about the history of Rooley Moor Road & links to the American civil war: http://www.dingquarry.co.uk/location–geography/cotton-famine-road.asp

Interesting if you're local I guess, although a little subjective towards the end.

lowey

Thanks for the link albino. Good read that.

RustyNissanPrairie

Been away for a month so only rode the new stuff at Lee Quarry on Wednesday night, and Cragg Quarry today. Well impressed with it all.

Lived and rode in Rossendale all my life, bike development stuff is the best thing to ever happen in/to the Valley apart from possibly the ski slope.

elaineanne
    Free Member

im more than impressed with lee quarry… i just live over the hill in sunny Tod mor den…. i think the new stuff at the quarry is great for practicing your skills for when you hit those big trail centres….. plus its free to get in !!! a bonus ! any plans for north shore stuff or is there no more space for stuff like that…obviously i dont mean miles of north shore but just abit of it and any chance of the odd 'wall ride' ? just asking …..lol

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I wa sup at Lee a couple of weeks ago, I thought it would be awesome to run some sort of access trail or northshore onto that shelf at the top of the quarry, then put loads of northshore up on there. You know where I mean?

ratherbeintobago

I’d still like to know what the plans are for Ding quarry. A couple of years ago there was talk of it re-opening as a quarry. If this were to happen then it would have quite an impact on everything else on the moors. Any news on this?

I live in Norden & I understand from asking one of my local councillors that Rochdale council declined planning permission for reopening Ding Quarry "in such a way that resurrecting it would be extremely difficult"

Andy

stumpyjon

elaine anne, there's a fair bit or boardwalk up at Gisburn if that's what you want, a new section should open in the next month or two with another couple of sections of boardwalk, 3 short (2m) but pretty narrow bridges, a ground level tree ride and the crowning glory two tree about four feet off the ground making a log ride of around 30m or so all linked up with some sharp twisty single track. Going to be quite a slow slow requiring alot of control.

PS the stuff at Cragg quarry is excellent and as far as I can tell alot of the old stuff hasn't been touched, but then I only rode up there a few times in the past.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry’ is closed to new replies.