• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LED spotlights ?
  • iainc

We have 22 spots between hall, kitchen, dining and loft. These are 300 lumen G10 ones. Looking online these would cost about £100 ish to replace with LED’s. Any rough idea on likely payback time due power saving ? I reckon I probably spend about £30 a year on bulbs at present.

Also, cool white or daylight ones ? And where best deals ?

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got all the spots in the kitchen changed a few weeks back iain, warm white – I got pissed off changing halogens too. LEDHut are doing 24% off for the next 24hrs iain.

iainc

Thanks, will have a look and a chat with sparky mate about what transformers or whatever I would need.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got rid of the transformers, went 240v.

cranberry
    Free Member

Gu10 are 230v volt- you don’t need a transformer to change the bulbs over to LED.

Note: If you have dimmers then you need to check if they are compatible.

iainc

Ah, nice one, no dimmers, so I can just change the bulbs over ?

cranberry
    Free Member

Yep.

I’d suggest that you buy enough of one bulb to fit out a single room/hallway, just to see if you have bought the right colour temperature ( cool white/daylight/warm white ) bulbs.

cranberry
    Free Member

Edit: doublepost

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve gone for warm white 6w in the garage, after a false start with some super cheap ‘4w’ Chinese ones which just weren’t very bright, and were quite cool, they’re very good indeed. Just like halogen.

£31 for a pack of 10 on Amazon here. Got some expensive ones through LEDHut and can’t tell the difference, if anything I prefer the Amazon ones.

iainc

Many thanks, just on that LEDhut site at mo !……EDIT and about to go to Amazon 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have got 6w warm white Megaman ones. Not the cheapest, about £9 each no issues so far in approx 3 years use.

iainc

Massive price differentials between those Amazon ones and LED hut and others. Tempted by the former and saving £60, esp if not much noticeable difference ?

Innes
    Free Member

Screwfix have some good deals on LED GU10 lamps.

They work well, I prefer warm white, they are doing good multi pack dicounts just now.

I have been fitting them to customers lights and they are very happy with the amount of light from them.

They are doing dimmable and non dimmable versions.

tom200

I replaced all my kitchen ones because whenever the kids jumped down the step into the bathroom above the bulbs would blow. Payback was about 6week no including the electricity saving.

iainc

great, thanks for all the ideas – will hunt around for best deal, which appears to be between Screwfix and Amazon unless I’m going to notice a huge difference from the expensive ones (which if I don’t buy I wont know how good they are or what I’m missing 🙂 )

Innes
    Free Member

One thing to think about, is that some lamps have the LED emitters right down near the glass cover, where others have the emitters higher up and sometimes use lenses.

I have found that the ones with the lenses are better if the room is large and you can see the lamp from accross the room, the other can be quite harsh to the eye.

toemul
    Free Member

7w £8 at morrisons a couple at a time with the shoppin bright as 50w halogens done the whole house.

Flaperon

I’ve had success with both these:
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/home-page-bestsellers/new-4-5-watt-gu10-led-350-lumens.html

and these:
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/home-page-bestsellers/new-4-5-watt-gu10-cob-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

The first one is slightly more pleasant to look if you’ve got plenty of spots in the ceiling, since it doesn’t sear your eyeballs out if you accidentally glace skywards. The 2nd one is the brightest, though.

globalti
    Free Member

We’re waiting. Tried warm from LEDHut and didn’t like the pinkish colour so we sent them back. We’ll try again in a year or two.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Be careful with cheaper ones, My spark got mine from a local electrical supplier, and they completely fecked up my DAB radio reception.

Every cloud has a silver lining though, gave me the reason I had been looking for to buy a wifi radio!.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Not all LED replacements lamps are equal.

Theres apparantly a problem with cheaper ones not being properly insulated and poor RF shielding

Cheap ones are cheap for a reason!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Phillips GU10 equivalents from Tesco were about £3 each when I bought them. No problems with my multiple DAB radios and the colour and light output is fine.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Got then here at work pure white,sell clothing so less issues with colours than we used to get.(“is this black or brown ??”).Boss loves them,being retail lighting on all the time ££££ss! Have them too at home. Only thing is with beam angles,not always same beam angles as original spot so check first?. Would not go back to CFL now. 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

LEDHut seemed pretty expensive to me.

I’ve just bought 8 bulbs from:
    http://www.lightmylife.com/

For half the price LEDHut were charging.

They were already cheaper than LEDHut (even with their current offer) but you can also use the code VUC20 until the end of Feb for an extra 20% off.

They also have the same 5yr guarantee and 30day money back guarantees that LEDHut have.

iainc

some decent deals on there, thanks. I guess I’m looking for wide angle rather than directional ones for general coverage ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘LED spotlights ?’ is closed to new replies.