Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • led pir security lights
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone used any of these? I’ve got through about 5 halogen ones with the bulbs keep blowing so led seems like the next option.
    Anyone know where to buy decent ones for cheap?

pk13

74078LED Twinspot PIR Floodlight 2x 3W Superbright LED 23 Each
    £35.91
    £29.93 ex.

From the toolstation not super bright like halogen but plenty good enough

I’ve also used the converter bulbs from eBay and they last 6 months and can be pot luck at best

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just bought two 10w LED lights with PIRs from Maplin. They work great and are bright enough. Only criticism is that the supplied cables are too short so I had to fit new cables to both, which is easier on the kitchen table than up the ladder.

Here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-10w-led-floodlight-with-pir-a18ta

wolly
    Free Member

Just fitted two 20W screw fix ones about £26 each seem well put together easy enough to fit plenty bright enough

cheekyget
    Free Member

Same here just yesterday I got the 20w cob LED pir from screwfix…£26
    Nice and bright ….and it’s got a 3 year warranty …for price of mind

allthepies
    Free Member

Not cheap but I fitted a Steinel XLED Home 1 light last year to my house. 5 year guarantee, quality bit of kit.

mav12
    Free Member

ive just bought one of eveil bay supposodly 50w put a meter on it and its using 30w apparently this is not uncommon ,its made pretty decent and lights the garden up ok cost £25, think id buy the screwfix one if i was buying again

footflaps

I’ve installed about 15 of these in mine and all my neighbours gardens. Stick a 9W LED bulb in them and they last well (incandescent bulbs don’t last more than a few weeks).

onewheelgood

Screwfix have a really good range now. I’ve had three from various online sellers and the PIR sensors have failed on all of them after just over a year. At least if it’s from Screwfix it’ll be easier to take them back.

marcus7
    Free Member

Cheap led lights in my experience won’t last much better than halogen especially single cob type, you’ll be better with a decent array type but I doubt you’d be happy with the price!. A word of warning on the cheap Chinese imports, I know of at least one importer having to rework all the units currently they have in stock for all sorts of issues, at the very least I’d check the integrity of the seals as they can be iffy to say the least

footflaps

During a lightning storm all our LED lights cut out. I pulled apart all the power supplies and we must have had a massive surge on the mains as the diodes in the rectifiers had all punched through which means over 1000V surge on the 230v supply!

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve got a bunch of this style ones (not the exact ones in the link but they look identical).

They were good for a while, but a few failed over the course of only a few months. Opening them up, the quality was dire, they are allegedly waterproof but clearly there is no way they are (loose seals, nothing stopping water running down the wire and into the unit!). Also the earth lead was not connected internally, slightly dodgy considering the metal case. Finally on some of the still working ones, some of the LED chips clearly had bright and dim spots, I assume they’ll be dying soon too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-20W-Cool-White-PIR-Motion-Sensor-SMD-LED-Flood-Light-IP65-Outdoor-Garden-Lamp-/251922273639?hash=item3aa7bcd567:g:xOIAAOSwPhdVLzrE

marcus7
    Free Member

Yep, you’ve just described the main issues with cheap units!! 😉

CaptainSlow

I’ve got one of these
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-flood-security-lights/50-watt-slimline-led-flood-light-180-watt-replacement.html

It’s been up about a year and is adjustable (3 settings).

cheekyget
    Free Member

What to look for in a led light unit is one large led rather than multiples

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I got a surface mounted LED from screwfix like this but in black
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-pir-floodlight-grey-10w/7214g

been up a year and works a treat

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dunno what they are but ive been using the 20watt leds pirs from ledhut. Got 2

Been up on the wall for 2 years in an exposed lcation , still working well.

One was doa, so i opened it up and the seals and everything were in place and the interior looked well wired up.

Still sent it back and got a new one that has been good for last 2 years.

Also got and led bulkhead like footflaps shows from screwfix with a fixed array.

My experiance of retrofitting led bulbs to pirs is theres a slight voltage leak and the bulb stays lit dimly.

Kryton57

Recently got one of those Screwfix 20w LEDs to replace the 120w we have with failed pir – it’s on all night.

Anyone fancy popping around to fit it on the eaves – I’m not good on ladders and don’t fancy trying to hold it whilst rewiring and balancing 25ft off the floor….

retro83
    Free Member

cheekyget – Member

What to look for in a led light unit is one large led rather than multiples

No, you get crap ones of those too, I have some.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘led pir security lights’ is closed to new replies.