Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • LED downlighters, what beam width, colour temperature?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Having a loft conversion with small en-suite, and are going to be speccing LED down-lighters, blimey there are a lot to choose from. So what beam width should I choose for the bedroom, seems to be a choice of about 40° or a more floody 60°. And what beam width for the bathroom? In terms of temperature I’ve gone for 2700K for the bedroom and 3000K for the bathroom – thoughts?

Stoner
    Free Member

Screwfix lap 281 lumen gu10 FTW

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You are right to go for as warm white as you can get. Even in the bathroom I would go warm white.

angles is all a bit more up in the air. In some ways I think the diffuser is more important so it avoids direct glare as LED’s are awful things to look directly at.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Screwfix lap 281 lumen gu10

Cheers but I’m going for one of the all in one downlight units which include bulb, driver, connectors etc, not sure why the sparks specced these, maybe something to do with limited headroom for fittings in the ceiling void,

Currently looking at these

diffuser is more important

How do I find out about these?

johndoh
    Free Member

Cool light for the en-suite, warm for the main room.

My wife was convinced she didn’t like the cool ones in our en-suite until I swapped them for warm ones that made it look dirty.

retro83
    Free Member

Exactly this, cool for the kitchen as well.

philb88
    Free Member

Assuming you want IP65 ratings for the bathroom?

Just fitted 25 of these 8W IP65 rated ones, integrated bulbs so get around the low energy lighting requirements for BC. Also integrated driver and push fit terminals. 60 deg beam puts the lighting pattern about a foot from the ceiling with a decent spread of light

ENLite Fire Rated Fixed E8 LED Downlight IP65 Warm White 8W

Also available in cool with different bezels too, worked great for what I need

johndoh
    Free Member

Exactly this, cool for the kitchen as well.

Agreed. 🙂

Also, consider where the lights are in the en-suite – you don’t want downlighters behind your head when you are looking in the mirror (you will be in partial silhouette). Try to get them so they are inline/in front of your head or get an illuminated mirror to minimise the silhouetting.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers but I’m going for one of the all in one downlight units which include bulb, driver, connectors etc,

brave man!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Cheers but I’m going for one of the all in one downlight units which include bulb, driver, connectors etc,

brave man!

Is there a problem, that you know of, with these sort of units? I mean there are enough of them out there and they are essentially the same as a bulb and fitting just in a single unit? No?

russ295
    Free Member

http://www.beamled.com/commercial-led-lighting/led-panel-lights.html

Ive fitted 4 of these in my bathroom (200mm sq ones) and there are very good. I’m fitting the round ones in my kitchen/extension.
    Very bright and they aren’t spotty like normal spot lights.

Stoner
    Free Member

nothing specific against those units, but I just dont see the reason to spend money on an all in one, when a simple (lower cost) downlighter with a 240v GU10 (replaceable) bulb will produce the same/better light and can be replaced inexpensively when a unit fails.

What happens if you cant find a replacement unit because it’s obsolete? What if the hole in your ceiling is now the wrong size?

GU10 will be around for ever. Simpler to replace a “bulb” than a whole unit.

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find replacement bulbs for our GU11(?) GU10 but with longer bodies.

I finally found some good ones in toolstaion but a couple have failed and they no longer stock them.

Seems like I’ll be looking for a more standard GU10 style housing before long.
    I’ll just have to wait until a few more units have failed, otherwise it will be a huge waste of money!

The “odd” size bodies were fitted in a new build, along with the completely none standard pennants that will only take a specific type of bulb that is hard to find.

philb88
    Free Member

Depends if you need energy efficient lighting for a new build building regs. Ones with removable bulbs don’t count!

igm

In the warm / cool, it’s s personal thing but I much prefer cool as its a little more like daylight. Warm always feels a little yellow and greasy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Depends if you need energy efficient lighting for a new build building regs. Ones with removable bulbs don’t count!

I’m not sure that’s the case any longer. We moved into a newbuild flat a few years back and there were standard ceiling pendants with Compact Fluoro bulbs. It’s even easier to justify if LED bulbs are fitted which should last long enough that halogens won’t be available when they blow.

Flaperon

Really impressed with the 5W dimmable GU10s from Screwfix. Sylvania branded, I think.

Dim from a bog standard leading edge dimmer too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘LED downlighters, what beam width, colour temperature?’ is closed to new replies.