Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LED bulbs. Are they safe? Any fire risk?
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I'm looking at replacing the filament bulbs in my motorhome with LED equivalents. Mainly G4 ones. Given that the lighting circuit is likely to be fused for filament bulbs with a much larger current draw, is there any danger when using LEDs that will normally draw a much lower current. If they fail, could the extra current available cause a fire?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is there any danger when using LEDs that will normally draw a much lower current. If they fail, could the extra current available cause a fire?

circuits are fused for the wire, not the loads, so no

same as you don't have to leave the lights on to avoid fires…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sorry, don't get that second bit? Do you mean you'd usually switch the lights off when not present?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what simon is trying to say is

you'll be fine

fuses are protection from short circuits and are commonly rated to match the capacity of the wire in the circuit and or the load applied to the circuit, unless you are planning on plugging 4 million leds into a circuit rated for a few 60w bulbs then carry on

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

So Chinese eBay ones should be OK?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

are commonly rated to match the capacity of the wire in the circuit and or the load applied to the circuit

the latter only if lower

LEDcentre
    Free Member

nullAlthough, most LED lighting products come from Chinese manufacturers, quality can vary, and it is worth choosing a UK distributer who provides warranty for the LED lights.

In case you are looking for one of these guys, have a look at: LED G4 null

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ebay LEDs have a bad rep. Search mny threads for a shop that I got good LEDs from.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Your fuses only protect you from over-current. If the bulbs choose to spontaneously combust (for whatever reason, even filament type) then you're not going to prevent it. All he fuse does is protect your wiring and try to limit potential problems. Normally a filament bulb wont catch fire when it blows. Normally an LED wont catch fire when it blows. But at the same time both LED and filament bulbs could catch fire first, then blow. You want a correctly designed lamp. All the G4 style lamps I've seen in LED form have been 20 quid a piece (unless they were ebay specials), making them financially unpleasant, but for your use I can see the point. But you'd want to check the light output rather than the power rating etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Now that's some blatent advertising up there ^^ lol

Junkyard
    Free Member

I replaced all my 12 volt lights with LED ones without any problem on a boat. yes something trully disastorous and incredibly unlikely could happen to either a LED or a filament bulb but the risk is miniscule. The amps /load of LED is less, hence you want to use them, so you could use a reduced fuse at your fuse panel. Motorcaravan shops stock these. 20 watt is 2 or 3 amp fuse. they are not as bright but you can read with them in spotlights.
    Replace you will be fine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘LED bulbs. Are they safe? Any fire risk?’ is closed to new replies.