Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Leaving work…..protocols etc
  • easygroove
    Free Member

the day is probably not far off before i hand in my notice to my current employer of 6 years. I work in a multinational professional services firm (planing/civil engineering etc). I’m a member of the management team and will probably take up a position at a fierce competitor. So…its not likely to go down to well but hey ho.

A few questions:
    Keeping the contacts in my phone and outlook – how do i best do this?

Can i email my entire address book with msg of easily?

Various personal and work related files – i know your not supposed to keep the works stuff but….. Is it a major no no or should i transfer to drop box, burn to disc or transfer to portable hard drive?

thanks

rob-jackson
    Free Member

You can export your address book as a cab file you also need the pst file from the c drive. Copy the pst file, paste onto new computer in place of existing pst, import contacts and it should be identical to your old company pc. Phone book wise – copy onto a on card and put in new phone or sync with outlook

donsimon
    Free Member

Does your contract allow you to work for the competition? Sometimes a company will put a no-no clause preventing you from doing this.
    Regarding the transfer of info, I can’t help, sorry.

clubber
    Free Member

just a note but be VERY careful taking things you shouldn’t to your new company and not declaring them. our place has a strong ethics program and has fired people for that…

easygroove
    Free Member

There is not a ”non-compete clause” in my current contract

clubber
    Free Member

non compete doesn’t allow you to take data or ip that your current place owns.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can i email my entire address book with msg of easily?

Various personal and work related files – i know your not supposed to keep the works stuff but….. Is it a major no no or should i transfer to drop box, burn to disc or transfer to portable hard drive?

You’re allowed to tell your employers’ clients (who are not your clients) that you’re leaving. You’re not allowed to trawl for business. Whether saying “I’m going to competitor X, feel free to call me” is trawling for business is questionable.

In theory (and law), all of your employer’s materials are your employer’s and they’re entitled to tell you what to do with them. If you take confidential material (including client lists) with you, they could obtain an injunction to make you give them back or stop you using them.

In practice, it depends how important you are, how much effort they’re willing to put into monitoring you and how savvy they are to detect it.

None of this is to do with non-compete clauses.

tron
    Free Member

The clauses which aim to prevent you from working for a competitor are unenforceable under most circumstances.

The majority of cases that have been successful (from the former employer’s point of view) have ended up being about stolen data – ie, contact lists, company reports, etc.

What you’re suggesting is an absolute no no.

Of course, there’s nothing to stop you going and finding out these contacts again after you leave – if you’re on decent terms with your customers I can’t see how you’d have any difficulty getting hold of them through their office’s switchboard.

konabunny
    Free Member

The clauses which aim to prevent you from working for a competitor are unenforceable under most circumstances

If they are not no more than is reasonable to protect the covenantee’s legitimate interests, they have no effect.

I recently signed an NDA which forbade me to contact or deal with or work for any of the company’s clients anywhere in the world for the next five years. I didn’t mind signing it at all…

johnners
    Free Member

just a note but be VERY careful taking things you shouldn’t to your new company and not declaring them. our place has a strong ethics program and has fired people for that…

Second that. Apart from the obvious ethical considerations, your new employer won’t thank you for making them vicariously liable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Leaving work…..protocols etc’ is closed to new replies.