Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leaving kids at home
  • bubs

Are there any laws about leaving kids unattended? I don’t want to fly off to Benidorm for 2 weeks of all inclusive fun with Stacey from the pub but I do want to pick up my youngest from school 5 minutes walk up the road whilst my oldest lounges on the sofa with the lurgee. The oldest is relatively sensible and he would also have the dog but he is only 7.

g5604
    Free Member

You have done the right thing by asking strangers on an internet forum.

thegreatape
    Free Member

So 10-15 minutes away from the house? I’d do it where I live, as long as I knew he could unlock the door to get out if he had to, and where the key was.

v8ninety

I think (and I could be wrong) that this is the sort of thing that is dealt with on its individual circumstances; ie. One seven year old is very different from another.

In other words, you’re fine so long as nothing goes wrong, but if it does, they’ll chuck the book at you.

IANASW

Cletus

Not sure about rules but quite a few parents who I regard as responsible do it. I did not and still do not with my 9 year old daughter although that is largely because she would rather come with me/her mother than be left.

Under the circumstances described I would make him come – it is Summer, will only take ten minutes, give him some exercise and drive home the point that he has to fit in with the needs of other family members.

Not sure how useful this contribution has been!

scotroutes

IIRC, the law only covers leaving one child “in charge of” another in which case the eldest must be 16(?).

PMK2060

The NSPCC state that children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time (this is also quoted on the http://www.gov.uk website).

Personally i think 7 is young to be left alone even for a few minutes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not uncommon to see kids walking to/from school on their own under 10. Depends on the maturity of the kid. Would I leave a 7yr old at home for 15 mins, unlikely – perhaps depending upon their maturity and if they knew “the rules” ie don’t answer the door, phone, leave the house etc. If I had any doubt I’d bring them with me to the pickup

perchypanther
    Free Member

It depends on the child.

My eldest at 7, if left unattended for a short period would probably have made me a cup of tea and a sandwich on my return.

My middle one, at 7 if left unattended for a short period would probably have made himself a cup of tea and a sandwich on my return.

My youngest who is currently 7, if left unattended for a short period would probably have made me homeless on my return.

bubs

😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I have 6 year old twins.

I believe that one would be sensible enough to leave alone for a few minutes, the other not.

(not that I would though).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t do it. If something spooks them, they will have nothing

binners

It depends. The rules are as follows:

Nice middle class couple, good jobs, fancy going out for a nice meal with friends, while on holiday, say. But without the hassle of kids in tow?

Perfectly acceptable.

Working class/underclass urchin from a caaaaaaancil estate. Want to nip to the shop for 20 Lambert and Butler?

You are a feckless, uncaring monster, who belongs behind bars, and social services need to take your kids off you immediately!

Clear?

bubs

Thanks. I knew there must be some rules.

ads678

If the tv was on my kids wouldn’t even notice I’d gone!!

bruneep

Tell us more about you and Stacey.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Binners nailed it – so if you are upper middle class crack on. Incidentally I have a 17 year old I wouldn’t leave in the house….

SiB
    Free Member

Decide which one you like the most………..or toss a coin!

I would rather leave the eldest on the settee in a safe environment than have a 5 or 6 year old walking the streets alone if those are the only options.

I’m sure there are rules but 10 mins is nothing

tenfoot

I wouldn’t leave a 7 year old on their own, but I guess it does depend on the child.

My 13 yo is fine on his own for an hour or so, my 11 yo would eat all the sweets she could find in the cupboard, and then burn the house down.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Leaving kids at home’ is closed to new replies.