Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Leatt neck brace advice please
  • colp

Hi,

my son wants a Leatt DBX Comp 4 neck brace for riding in Leogang and Delamere skills area, and a bit of messing on the local MX track.
    My only concern is that it will get on his nerves and he won’t use it.
    Anyone experience of using one?

Cheers

Col

zero-cool
    Free Member

The GF got fed up with hers and wishes she’d got the more adjustable one.

andymac
    Free Member

Don’t notice mine at all when riding.

However, they could potentially be lethal if you ride/mess around without a helmet on. I would want to be sure my child would be responsible enough to not do the above before buying him one.

STATO
    Free Member

On steep DH tracks (really steep ones!) it does stop me looking up enough sometimes, but i still wear it. Not expecting a ‘it saved my life’ moment but i wear all the gear as it protects my from getting beaten up. Sprained my neck a few times which this seems to have stopped (in the few crashes ive had with it).

06awjudd
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t notice mine, and to be honest, I can’t see the weight saving benefits of buying a more expensive one being worth it, because of that.
    Chances are, he won’t need it, but not a bad idea to wear one, especially at Leogang.

STATO
    Free Member

My only concern is that it will get on his nerves and he won’t use it.

Do you think it will help him not break his neck? if not then dont bother, if you do your his parent, so same rules as wearing a helmet apply. No gear no ride.

colp

Thanks for the responses.
    I’ll see if I can borrow one somewhere for a test ride, he’s starting to hit some big stuff pretty quickly and we’ve got to the point where things could be more serious if he has a big crash.

cheers

Col

100mphplus
    Free Member

If you get the DBX Comp 4 there is a good chance that he will use it as you can custom fit it to make it as comfortable as possible.

I’ve had one for 4 years and it took some fettling initially with the various spacers et al before I got it fitting correctly, but I now wear it all the time without it beiong a hindrance whatsoever.

As andymac mentioned above, worn incorrectly though and it can be more dangerous than not wearing one!! With no helmet on you MUST undo it, even stood around or just walking. Helmet on and you MUST have the brace on corectly.

Personally I think it’s the comfiest brace out there, I’ve tried an Alpine Stars one and that sat on my collar bones and hurt like hell.

colp

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, Comp 4 it is then.

Cheers

Col

variflex
    Free Member

I would be wary of them, it seems in the Motorsport world many say they can do more harm than good with little proof they actually work. worth doing some online investigation on karting sites. that was the theory of them a few years ago on the national karting circuit. I have no proof either way but just my opinion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Leatt neck brace advice please’ is closed to new replies.