Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Leatherman keychain tools
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Looking for a decent little keychain tool and like the look of the Leatherman models (done research and not interested in other brands);

Micra/Style CS – look decent allrounders and both have tweezers which could be good for getting thorns out of tyres

Squirt P4/PS4 – also look decent but have advantage of pliers to deal with other bike related fixes

Anyone own one of the above that can pass judgement or indeed have one for sale (email in profile if you do), cheers.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I had one – had scissors on it plus various other bits. Was very nicely made. Forgot it was on my key ring one day going though security at Bristol airport. 🙁

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hello,
    Selling Leathermans is a pretty hefty chunk of my day job. I’d say the Micra is head and shoulders above the others, it’s a shame it’s been discontinued. The pliers on all these tools are too small to be much use in my opinion, can’t think of any bike situation they’d help with. The scissors on the PS4 and Style PS are gash. I suppose if I had to have a current one it would be a style CS but I’d rather stick with a Micra to be honest.

nickswolves
    Free Member

lemonysam – thanks for your reply, can you tell me what it is about the Micra that makes it better in your opinion? Might be worth me hunting one out second hand.

On a side note is the Wingman any good?

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s a solid, sturdy tool on which every tool does the job it’s intended to. I’m not a fan of the Style’s particularly – the carabiner clip is bulky and a bit pointless and I don’t like the ergonomics. They share pretty much the same scissors but I find them comfier to use on the Micra.

The Wingman’s pretty good now they’ve got the tightness right (buy from somewhere you know will have decent stock turn around or you might end up eith one of the early ones that was a bit… flaccid). The pliers aren’t as nice as the needlenoses on the main range but are still pretty good and the knives hold a good edge and are comfy to use. The scissors are pretty good too.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Interesting…..I like the idea of a keychain tool as I’m more likely to use it if its with me most of the time whereas something like the Wingman is more of a hassle to carry around.

Shame they discontinued the Micra, will have to try and find one second hand!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a Squirt PS4 – it’s very good, the scissors are decent and the pliers are decent enough for most bike-related tasks. Also got a Micra, but the Squirt gets a lot more use because of the pliers…

mark90
    Free Member

Micra on my key ring (along with a fenix LD01). I’ve had it long enough that it has been through airport security prior to 11/9. It is used surprisingly frequently, more than my Charge Ti, as the Micra is always to hand. The scissors are actually pretty good, those and screwdrivers get most use. Choice of replacement would be same again or a Squirt S4, but both are discontinued now.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have the Leatherman Squirt. Lives in my rucsac, and the pliers are useful for changing brake pads – removing the split pin. I’ve had it for years, and the quality seems good.

lemonysam
    Free Member

… the scissors are decent …

Seriously? I think they’re the worst thing Leatherman make – they can just about manage if you want to do some light papercraft but heaven forbid you want to cut tape or trim a nail. Even the bizarre carabiner with the sidekick has more point than them.

nickswolves
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Also got a Micra, but the Squirt gets a lot more use because of the pliers…

Does that mean you could be tempted to part with the Micra? If its in decent nic and you would consider selling it my emails in profile 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Hmm, I do still use it and it was a present from my father-in-law, sorry 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve had a Micra for 12 years and I agree… the scissors are utter cack! I’ve had to resort to sharpening mine rather than continually using the gaurantee, and now they are used for pruning whenever I come across snaggy brambles.

redx

I have a Squirt PS4 on my keyring, which has proved useful for fixing toys/sunglasses/other minor things… Was very impressed that the phillips fitted the tiny screws in the wife’s sunglasses. However the scissors are pretty cack and I’d rather have some tweezers.

I also have a couple of Juice S2s, which live in my camelback and my commutng rucksack. I think the scissors are btter on these and the pliers are more robust for larger stuff. However it doesn’t have tweezers which would be good…..

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have a Squirt PS4. Pretty good for light duties but can be a bit variable in quality as regards the wire cutters/pliers. If you get a good pair, the plier joint is nice & snug, if the joint is loose, the wire cutters are cack. The “cross point” driver is made of cheese & chewed up on first use. Frankly, I expected more of the leatherman name, not sure if they are worth the premium over say Gerber (I also have a Gerber Vise)
    Scissors are small but useful.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Scarab

pliers are quite decent and folds up small.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Leatherman keychain tools’ is closed to new replies.