Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Leather Saddle
  • duntstick
    Free Member

Brooks B17

I asked about them on here a while ago, I read all the gumph on the forums and blogs and finally got around to getting one with a view to doing some touring.

I expected to be doing the dance of the flaming arseholes after all the tales of breaking in problems, heavy weight

What a load of bullshit.

Just did my daily 25 mile loop on the road, after treating it to some Clarks leather dressing.

Almost immediately felt the hammock feeling, and had a sensation of smooth, frictionless contact with the saddle.

Biggest difference was sitting and spinning up hills. I normally have to stand and pedal a while to get a bit of relief and some blood to the nether regions.

Not so on this saddle.

I’m nowt to do with Brooks and I’ve heard good things about the Spacycles Nidd.

I’ve tried all sorts of saddles previously and nothing has ever worked out like this.

Hope this encourages you to give it a go if you’ve been considering one.

Even at this early stage I’m sure it will be a keeper.

deejayen
    Free Member

I, too, was pleasantly surprised to discover my first one (a titanium Swift) was never uncomfortable, but it does take a wee while for them to mould to your shape.

A titanium Swallow was much ‘tighter’, and I seem to remember it took a few thousand miles before dimples started to appear.

There’s mixed opinions on using anything other than Brooks’ Proofide on them, but you probably knew that before breaking out the Clarks’.

They are heavy compared with some racing saddles, and it’s best to try and keep them dry-ish. Also, the usable rail section is fairly short, so a layback post is sometimes necessary.

They’re still popular for a reason, although obviously they’re not for everyone.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Leather Saddle’ is closed to new replies.