Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lease car – when to change tyres?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My car is on a fuly comp lease ie free servicing/repairs/tyres etc.

The rear tyres have about 2mm left before they get to the legal limit.

Would you be calling the tyre change company now, or wait until they are on the limit?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Post some weekly updates then let stw argue over which winter tyres and why its Hitlers fault your left rear tyre is worn more on the inside

Smudger666

call into kwik fit and ask – most, if not all, lease companies have a deal with them.

they have rules according to the lease company as to hat depth of tread is allowed – the last two companies i’ve had cars from were 3mm.

allthepies
    Free Member

Call the lease company and ask for advice.

Personally I’d want them changing before the tread depth becomes a potential issue (safety + legality)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Speak to the leasing company – none of them will want you to take it to the legal limit – I forget the actual figures but when I worked for Lombard VM the limit was something like 1.6mm and we’d allow tyres to be changed at 2.5mm. There were also unpublished ‘fair usage rules’ regarding how many tyres you could have – I only ever saw them imposed once though when some bright spark leased a Nissan 350Z and wanted a set a month, we was using it for track days.

Anyway, most of the tyre fitters no the score, they don’t get paid for calling the lease company and telling them you’ve got plenty left, they know what to say.

Drac

Mine do them at 3mm and contrary to what P-Jay says the tyre companies have always been honest with the lease company, lying to them would lose their contract.

jam-bo

I forget the actual figures but when I worked for Lombard VM the limit was something like 1.6mm and we’d allow tyres to be changed at 2.5mm

1.6mm is the legal limit.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So you’ve currently got 3.6mm (2mm over the limit) left. I’d say you’ve got a few miles more yet especially with the weather improving.

Northwind

I’d ask the lease company since nobody else’s opinion matters at all.

falkirk-mark

Northwind for the win.

luke
    Free Member

Depends on the lease , who are you with, most change at 2mm who are you with?
    I used to work on behalf of several lease companies dealing with tyres.
    There are ways around getting tyres changed a bit earlier what car is it?

Lombard used to change at 2mm, but the tyre authorisation team didn’t work in points of a mm unless it was 1.6 so 2.9mm was either 2mm or 3mm depending on the operator doing the authorisation 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I will indeed ring the lease company (Alphabet) and see what they say.

Cougar

Normally I swing into Kwik-Fit and ask them to check it. They then ring the lease company for authorisation.

luke
    Free Member

Alphabet is 2mm if it’s a BMW pop in to Kwik Fit I’m sure they will find that the tyres are 2mm at some point 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Actually have had a slow puncture in 1 rear, and now kwik fit are changing both rears as I type. Shame the branch where I am is a complete rip off one.. Can’t believe what people are being told as I am waiting..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lease car – when to change tyres?’ is closed to new replies.