Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Learner Legal – what bike?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I have my CBT and currently schoom around on a 125 twist and go.

I want to complete my full bike test this year (before they change the rules again next year) but might need to sort out a learner legal manual bike to practice.

My instructor (with whom I did my CBT and is happy Im a good Motor Cylist) can provide a 125c for the car park and then a 500c for accompanied lessons I gather, but if I can demonstrate Im happy with a manual I dont have to waste valuable training time on my learning clutch control. Is that reasonable?

Or do I just do a 4 day-er with him and use his bikes OR

do I buy a ragged 100cc manual, use it for a few months and then sell it on?

Cougar

Well,

When I did mine, I solely used their bikes and then bought my own. Whether that’s the ‘best’ way I don’t know, but it’s what I did.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would do the hire bike thing. A cheap small bike is likely fubared. YOu can probably get away with less than 4 days tho – a lesson as a refresher a week before your test, on a day before, one an hour before maybe

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers. Will see if I can do it all on the trainer’s bikes and learn to use the manual quickly in a morning on the pan.
    Im pretty confident of getting away with less as my “craft” is pretty good and Ive had 2,000 miles on the PCX125 already this year. Just need to sort out my theory & haz test and then book something.

Stoner
    Free Member

Theory test booked now anyway 🙂

treaclesponge
    Free Member

How have you found the PCX? The GF has just ordered one and it looks lovely. Hoping its as reliable as Honda’s should be as she will be clocking up circa 1000 miles a month on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just bought a CG125, half an hour and a few near misses and I’d gotten the hang of it.

My instructor (with whom I did my CBT and is happy Im a good Motor Cylist) can provide a 125c for the car park and then a 500c for accompanied lessons I gather, but if I can demonstrate Im happy with a manual I dont have to waste valuable training time on my learning clutch control. Is that reasonable?

You have to take the mod1 and mod2 on the same type of bike, you can’t mix and match.

I’d just buy a CG125, get a good one and it wont lose any value. A couple of hours and the gears become second nature. Then a few lessons to get your head arround controlling a big bike and the test should be easy.

Then again I did my test with the examiner in a car, so as long as I got upto speed quickly and didn’t dawdle at junctions on the test route, what he couldn’t see he couldnt fail me on 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ll be doing the mod1 & 2 on the same bike, his.

The PCX has been amazing.
    Comfortable, fast (easy 60mph with me on. Clock hits 65mpg so I guess it hist the limits at an actual 60), efficient – I have average 106mpg* over the last 2,000 miles and thats 75% @ 60mph.
    * I keep geeky numbers

Only 3x negs
    1) main beam blue led indicatio non dash is VERY bright. Have masked it with tape.
    2) No clock on dash
    3) pillion bolster on seat gets in the way if you’re tall and it bolts on to the seat. SO ive had to mod it a bit for me. Unless your missus is very tall (6’3″ +) then it wont bother her.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i would get a cheapo cg125 as above… don’t loose value and then gives you something simple to play with when you pass whilst you wait for a nice bike – its summer so prices are up a bit…

cynic-al
    Free Member

How are the rules changing?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, sounds like a winner, shes a shorta**e at 5’3″ so no worries with that.

Dolcered

I only used the instructors bikes as well for DAS. A lowered er5 was the beast. Just as well, i dropped it a few times trying to master the u-turn (pre mod1 mod2 changes)

Cougar

I took an ER5 out a couple of times. Awful bike, the gearbox was made out of spanners. The CB500 was better in every way (which is why I bought one).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Learner Legal – what bike?’ is closed to new replies.