Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leaky garage
  • chvck
    Free Member

My garage seems to partially floor when it rains a lot. It doesn’t seem to be coming through the roof and is worst on one side. That side has a lawn running alongside it ~1/2-1 metre up the wall. My guess is that it’s somehow coming through where the concrete floor meets the wall. Is that plausible?

Is there anything simple that I can do to fix this?

funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

I had something similar a few years ago. It turned out to be coming in through the bricks and cement and would pool on the floor. I got some brick sealer from wickes and ( touch wood ) it’s been fine ever since

g5604
    Free Member

i had this:

1) I created a slope away from the garage
    2) I rerouted the one drain pipe away from the leaky side

chvck
    Free Member

OK thanks, I think that brick sealer is likely to be the first thing to try then. A slope away from garage might be a bit more involved!

Squirrel

Assuming you are going to dig down to floor level so you can treat the whole wall it might help to lay some perforated drain pipe alongside the wall with a fall to take the water away. Then backfill with pea shingle.

chvck
    Free Member

I was going to paint the interior bricks! Is that not how it works then?

fossy

No. You ideally want the lawn and soil away from the bricks otherwise it will still find a way in. You could dig a trench to below the damproof and put a waterproof membrane down next to the wall and back fill with stone.

jkomo

Brick sealer on interior worked for me.

g5604
    Free Member

my slope took one hour to construct – just moving some soil…

ads678

my slope took one hour to construct – just moving some soil…

Whereas his wall is retaining 0.5-1m of soil….

funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

Painted mine on the outside above go the grass has been ok, but when I looked at it when it was raining it was all coming in from knee height and up

chvck
    Free Member

There’s also a tiered slabbed area in front of the lawn (also alongside the garage) so drainage would be difficult I think.

timba
    Free Member

If drainage is an issue the other thing to look for is the state of the mortar in the brickwork at and below ground level down to floor level.
    If you don’t fancy digging out try cleaning the brickwork internally and using a mastic sealant on the mortar lines; a clear weatherproof sealant that can be applied to damp surfaces should help. It’ll take a few tubes though 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Treating the I side of the bricks won’t sort the problem. Can’t you relandscape to take the soil away from touching the garage wall?

chvck
    Free Member

I could possibly attempt to move soil away from the wall. I have no idea to what depth it’s soil and then other material mind.

matt_outandabout

French drain? Narrow trench against wall, drain pipe in bottom, gravel on top.

philmccrackin
    Free Member

I have this trouble too, but my garage is single skin blockwork with render on 3 sides, the 4th side (where it gets wet) is built tight up against an old stone wall with maybe 100mm gap…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

100mm gap, could you use a roller on a pole to seal the lower brick courses?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leaky garage’ is closed to new replies.