Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Le Tour 2018
  • frankconway

Thanks Flashy.
    Assuming the report is generally accurate……….the cobbles will introduce a ‘lottery’ element early on with the potential for offs/ accidents and significant time losses; 4 days around Pau will be tough.
    The start from Noirmoutier should be great – I suppose they will cross the bridge but, if tide times were favourable, riding the causeway would be much more interesting/atmospheric.
    No reason for Froome not to be favourite; Bardet and Barguil will, I think, be big threats.
    I don’t think Nibali – or his team – have what it takes.
    But, hey, I’m speculating……as required 🙂

roger_mellie

http://road.cc/content/news/230844-route-2018-tour-de-france-unveiled-paris-video
    Think I’ll start paying proper attention from Annecy onwards…

Rorschach
    Free Member

They can’t really tailor a route to disadvantage Froome/favour his rivals as 1.He does’nt really seem to have a weekness 2.His rivals are few and far between (unless big Tom decides to play).

c_klein87

Stage 12 could be a cracker! hopefully the cobbles are tricky like a few years back as they were the undoing of froome that year

crazy-legs

Cue frantic fwapping in the Cycling Weekly office as they confidently predict the stages that Froome and Cav will each win, thereby condemning both to early race crashes.

brakes
    Free Member

I guess this means the 2017 season is over…

bob_summers

From Roger Mellie’s link

The only individual time trial of the race takes place in the Basque Country on the penultimate day and with a 900 metre climb at an average gradient of 10.2 per cent ahead of a descent to the finish in Espellette that could prove influential for the overall title.

That’s 900m long, not high, to be clear!

I ride a lot around Arcangues, and the roads are very grippy. Very hard to find any sort of rhythm.

fifeandy
    Free Member

A team time trial, a cobble day, and a day with a short stretch of gravel roads – maybe too many variables not directly under Froome’s control – could be the year he decides to add the Giro to his Palmares and does the Giro/Vuelta double?

freeagent
    Free Member

Hotel booked in Roubaix for Saturday/Sunday night so we can watch the finish of Stage 9.
    I’m going to get the ferry to Dunkirk and ride to Roubaix – looking forward to it already!!

The rest of it looks interesting – especially the ‘gravel’ bit.

maybe too many variables not directly under Froome’s control – could be the year he decides to add the Giro to his Palmares and does the Giro/Vuelta double?

No chance – another TdF win puts him up with the greats, it is too big an opportunity to turn down..

joefm

Don’t see Duomilan challenging.

tang
    Free Member

I reckon Nibbles could give this a go.

edhornby

if reports are to be believed Dumoulin is going to go for it, and he could be a real threat as he is one of very few riders better than froome at TT, if he can stay in contention on the climbs (and he did at the Giro) then it could be game on; especially when you consider that Bardet will challenge on the climbs, Tom can sit on his wheel and counter

cobbles weren’t a problem for Froome in 2016, the only reason he stopped in 2015 was from a broken wrist that he did on the day before and then made it worse on the cobbles day before they got to the pave itself

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Given how dull and boring this years race was, don’t think I will bother with the tour next year!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Time to book a campsite I reckon..

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if Dumoulin takes that on. Only one ITT and that’s got a climb in it. He’s already stated he’s interested in entering the Giro/Vuelta double. I think he’ll skip the Tour this year (again) and hope for more TT miles next year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

could be the year he decides to add the Giro to his Palmares and does the Giro/Vuelta double?

I don’t see Froome skipping this one. Question for Froome will be what else this season? Might be the only chance he’ll ever get to win the worlds.

Also given how 2017 went and how Froome looked to be stronger at the Vuelta than he was at the Tour, maybe a Giro Tour double isn’t that far fetched. Then a break to peak again for the Worlds?

Will indeed be interesting to see the Giro route for 2018.

Dumoulin, with that route, it’ll be Giro and Vuelta most likely.

brakes
    Free Member

Froome has won 4 of the last five Tours de France. Dominant champions fall out of favour with fans after too much success (Schumacher, Federer, etc.) so I think Froome should go for the treble (Giro / Tour / Vuelta) and see what happens – I don’t think he will lose any fans if he doesn’t win again next year.
    Plus I don’t think it will do the Sky team brand any harm to be less mechanical and a bit more panachey.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ghah, dull.

Best part is going to be in Western Brittany and the northern French segment.

Rest?

Same
    Old
    Dullness.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour 2018’ is closed to new replies.