Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • LCD TV Mounted on Dry wall
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Just poing out the bedroom and I have a spare wall bracket for my 40 inch Sony LCD TV and thought it would be a good idea to mount it to the wall while I’m getting a new carpet in there and giving it a bit of spruce up. The only thing is the wall I want to fix to is a Dry Wall. I’m not sure its a good idea to fix to a stud wall. I would much prefer to mount to a brick or block wall. But in this case have little options other than the dry wall. Its hard to find where the studs are too. Any advice on what to use? I know you can get the proper dry wall plugs. But some I have used in the past have not gave me much confidence in them!

GTDave
    Free Member

If you can’t find the studs, cut a section of the plasterboard out where the bracket is planned to go, and put in new studs / noggins at the req. place. Then put the cut board back, tidy it up, and mount the bracket.

joolsburger
    Free Member

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Noggin the bits that go between the studs.

Cougar

khani
    Free Member

Get a stud finder from Screwfix or bq, only about a tenner

Cougar

(ok, I’ll stop now)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I don’t even get it Cougar!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t rely on plasterboard fixings or you’ll be like the bloke off the currys ad!! Personally I’d find two nearest vertical studs in relation to where brackets going. Cut out board, place two vertical timbers to back edge of stud, pilot drill and fix with screws. Leave these timbers 15 mm back from face timber. Then introduce a piece of 12 mm ply the full width between studs and fix into newly attached timbers. Replace board. If you’re careful when cutting out the plasterboard this can be replaced, touch of filler and bingo, plus it’s hidden behind the telly!!

Cougar

Personally I’d find two nearest vertical studs in relation to where brackets going.

Personally, I’d buy a stand. In the absence of expertise it sounds like a DIY disaster waiting to happen.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Also, new or old house? Could be metal stud if new.

Cougar

Cougar

(Sorry, I can’t help myself, it’s a bit like Tourettes)

wrightyson
    Free Member

😆 @ cougar

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I wish I found you funny Cougar but I still don’t get it! 🙂 THe studs wil be Wood timbers as the house was built in the late 70s. Dam hate stud walls! Wish I had my old house with all internal brick built walls.

GTDave
    Free Member

seth, it’s all about the ‘noggins’ y’see.

midlifecrashes

With a telly as big as 40″ you might get way with finding studs/noggins behind telly and fixing a 15+mm ply sheet to that big enough to overlap where you want the bracket, then screw bracket to ply, thinking about it the ply might as well be just smaller than the telly, paint the same colour as the wall to make it disappear.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Oh Ha ha! I’m a bit lost on this middle class humour on Singletrack! Um I might have to think about this job. I could always swap the bed round and fis to the proper house end wall! Then the coax will need to be made longer for the aerial. Ummm

rwc03
    Free Member

Couldn’t get on both studs, so ended up using these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm-pack-of-10/11143

They splay out and dig in as you tighten, so you don’t want to re-hang something in that area.
    Holding just over 20kg on 3 sheets thick. Seems very strong and rigid, but make sure you get the correct size for your wall.

BigJohn

No it isn’t Seth, it’s a different sort of stud finder.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh Ha ha! I’m a bit lost on this middle class humour on Singletrack!

Says the man putting a 40″ LCD in his bedroom
    😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Says the man putting a 40″ LCD in his bedroom

He’s not.

The butler is.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘LCD TV Mounted on Dry wall’ is closed to new replies.