Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • LBS Ramblings,
  • xyeti
    Free Member

Are there any cycling cafes nearby?

Go drop off some cards or put an add in their window, speak to the owners occupiers, it might be that they are thinking of joining up the dots and they may well be looking for a mechanic or know some one who is.

What trails have you got near by and what’s the road scene like?

paule
    Free Member

Something like this guy (who lives near me) is doing may work for you? http://cyclepro-uk.com/

soobalias
    Free Member

as someone who does a little spannering for mates for beer there are some serious concerns for the home mechanic setup.

income – declarations/tax etc
    insurance – a) against theft of someone elses property while in my possession and b) against legal action when i slip up
    planning permission – change of use, residential dwelling for business use

there is no mark-up on parts, nobody would pay it when they can place that same order online, but they will want you to order it, which puts you in the “seller” position for anything “warranty/returns” short of drawing up a contract

advice is free, mistakes are costly and that risk sits with the mechanic, and, in any customer service environment “the customer is always right likely to complain and return to bite you in the ass”

so add that little lot together and come up with a suitable hourly rate?

EDIT – from the link above “•Gear Tune Up £20.00”, so whats that £60/hr

Steve77
    Free Member

I wish I could find a mobile bike mechanic near me. I’ve got a box of bits from CRC and I’d happily pay £20/hour or more for somebody to turn up at my house and save me the hassle of fitting everything myself. Given how portable bike tools are I’m surprised you don’t see more bike mechanics working out of vans. It has to be the future once all the LBS have closed.

xyeti
    Free Member

Steve do you live near Northants?

Steve77
    Free Member

No, Switzerland unfortunately.

Sancho
    Free Member

Whatever people say about service attitude cake and coffee
    It all boils down to price.
    The industry is overcharging for the products.
    The online retailers have circumvented the traditional retail model.
    And that is the end of the lbs.
    Just a matter of time.
    Closed mine after 15 years and it’s amazing being a customer again.
    You just can’t beat the online guys.
    I am not sure what the future of cycle retail will be.
    But I hazard a guess it will be like the car trade. Where you buy on lease and are then tied to the brand as their products will become less compatible with other companies.

eshershore
    Free Member

@sancho

That is where I find Giant interesting?

Brand stores offer finance directly through Giant UK, bike shipped to store. Comprehensive click and collect on all giant goods. Servicing packages being offered with sale to tie customer to the store. In store bike fitting systems. Consignment stock I.e. 150 bikes on display, owned by Giant UK with no risk to retailer. All other stock pulled next day from warehouse. Imagine the financial muscle needed to put that many bikes into 20+ brand stores with no upfront cost to retailer?

A Taiwanese business man told me whilst talking about China and Taiwan, “we are Chinese with faster calculators”. He told me think and plan in the long term, unlike the West.

Long term plans may include taking a short term hit to knock out competitors, for long term gain. Who knows?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘LBS Ramblings,’ is closed to new replies.