Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • LBS £30 for oner spoke?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Problem: Mavic Askium two spokes broke.

Bike shop have quoted £30 for one spoke as they had to buy in a pack from Mavic?!

Is this right?

wrecker
    Free Member

NO!
    Tell them to go **** themselves!
    Give bad ass bikes a ring. They have allsorts in there.

martinhutch

Sorry – was that £30 each ie £60 for the two you need? 😯

Steve-Austin
    Free Member
    onandon
    Free Member

yep- pedal-on of all Mavic spoke related needs

khani
    Free Member

😯
    No..

hammy7272
    Free Member

Just been on the blower as I was fuming! I said I don’t want a packet of spokes I don’t need. Price came down to £22.

Not happy, now it is £15. Happy now.

Can’t believe it. I feel really cross.

rogermoore

The way I read this was, you’ve asked your LBS needs to get you a spoke for your Mavic Askium wheel. They’ve said they don’t have any in, and need to order in a full pack which they want you to buy as they might not sell them in 1’s or 2’s?
    RM.
    <Edit>
    As above OP response, obviously not. Still doesn’t make much sense given your explanation above. If the price kept coming down you should have stuck with complaining until he was paying you for it… 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

£30 for a spoke, No that’s not right. Tell them to jog on.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Sorry to clarify. They only “needed” to replace one so it was £30. Their argument is that they had to buy a packet for £15 from Mavic.

Gobsmacked!

(True the wheel also.)

martinhutch

£15 fitted I take it?

zilog6128

Sorry to clarify. They only “needed” to replace one so it was £30. Their argument is that they had to buy a packet for £15 from Mavic.

Sounds semi-reasonable I suppose as it might take them a while to shift the rest of the packet. Of course you could source them yourself and then just get the LBS to fit them.

FuzzyWuzzy

Is that £15 inc. fitting and truing, if so that’s fine. Otherwise if they’re just telling you how much it would cost for them to order you a spoke in then go elsewhere, they’re not ripping you off as such as they will likely have to order a whole packet in and there’s probably not much other demand for them so they’d make a loss just charging you for one spoke. Other LBS in your area will hopefully have spares of the right size already or know they can sell the rest on if they buy a box of them so will be prepared to just charge you for one.

aa
    Free Member

presumably you will be able to keep all the spokes in the packet for the next time you have breakages.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yes £15 for fitting and truing now. At first they said keep the spokes but I said you have them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Guessing they would have given you the remaining spare spokes that they wanted to charge you for
    And there will be a labour charge for fixing the wheel to

Edit I’m to slow

nealglover
    Free Member

Problem: Mavic Askium two spokes broke.
    Bike shop have quoted £30 for one spoke as they had to buy in a pack from Mavic?!

So you have two broken spokes.

They originally quoted £30 for one spoke (x 2 = £60 ??)

Now they have re quoted at £15 (for two or for one ??)

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yeah they offered the spokes to me. The thing is when I first went in they thought I wanted it re-lacing and quoted £30. I said no just a couple need replacing and off I went. Came back, one replaced, trued and £30?!

O.K, so if they had fitted all the packet no worries and off i would go.

It is only because I questioned it, it went to £22 then £15.

vanilla83
    Free Member

So actually they quoted you the pack price as thats all they could get in plus they included fitting and truing in their price.

hammy7272
    Free Member

yes

DrP

It’s not actually that hard to fit a spoke yourself…

DrP

vanilla83
    Free Member

So now you’ve moaned about an originally pretty reasonable price, you’ve got it down to £15 which means they will be making a loss no doubt. Pretty good customer service on their part I think.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Learn how to true wheels and use Google Shopping

nealglover
    Free Member

Reported thread for misleading thread title 😀

scotroutes

Buy spoke. Go to LBS. Pay for fitting & truing.

DT78
    Free Member

Think the last time I paid for a true it cost £20….and that was for no new spokes. £30 is a bit steep but not outrageous….

nealglover
    Free Member

Think the last time I paid for a true it cost £20….and that was for no new spokes. £30 is a bit steep but not outrageous….

So £15 is very cheap.

chief9000
    Free Member

Sounds semi-reasonable I suppose as it might take them a while to shift the rest of the packet.

Would it be reasonable if, when you went to fill up your car, they charged you for a tanker full of fuel because it might take a while to shift the rest?

Sorry…i’m being silly 😛

fibre
    Free Member

Mavic spares come from europe and they sell them by the packet not individually (enough for one side normally), they may only fit one year of a certain model. So it wasn’t unreasonable, but they probably should have let you know before ordering.

Mavic wheels are nice but specs change too often and spares are Mavic specific for my liking. Also alloy spokes and nipples are more prone to breaking or seizing. Personally I like “standard” wheels with J-bend DT spokes and hubs with easy to get hold of spares.

If you have the time it’s worth learning to do your own repairs, it’s really satisfying and saves a lot of money. I taught myself when I had a crap bike that kept on breaking and no money to take it to a shop, I didn’t have a choice then 🙂

granny_ring

Clear as mud this thread…..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘LBS £30 for oner spoke?’ is closed to new replies.