Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Laws of Bikes
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’ve just been biking back from the curryhouse to pick up my curry, and my rear light has not been on (batteries have run out). My bike was not fitted with a front light. Whilst crossing the road a Police Officer has pulled me over and informed me he would be round tomorrow to issue a £30 fine and give me a b******ing. I found this
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070302
    Which states in a well lit area (which i was in) lights are not reuired, i was also unaware the light was off and my bike was equipped with reflectors.
    It seems unfair but do you think i have any case?

kcr
    Free Member

You’re reading the car regs. Look at cycling reg 60 here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837
    Seems pretty clear cut, and if you start arguing about it, it is going to cost you a lot more than £30 in time and money to take it further.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I guess we’ll find out. Keep us informed. Interesting one to me at least. I generally cycle back from work the whole 2 miles on a very quiet road with a rear light. Sometimes I take the other bike no light and just trundle home and get on pavement if plod appear. It’s all well lit apart from a bit of maybe 100M at the most. Been pulled a couple of times and I just lie about being held back at work. I’ve got a front light, but it doesn’t actually light anything up on the commute, that’s how lit it is! But, there are rules I suppose.

Northwind

How does he know where you live out of curiosity? You weren’t honest were you?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I was honest, £30 is £30 its better than lying to the old bobby and getting a serious doing im sure most will agree. With a bit of luck he’ll realise there are worse things in the world and not bother coming round, will keep you informed!

cookeaa

I Doubt He’ll “Be round” for his £30 probably trying to give you a minor scare I guess, if He was really going to follow through I’d imagine He’d have done it then and there – Marched you off to a cash point, did he bother to give you any paper work with your bollocking?

And yep you were a country mile from being road legal on a bike at night. Forgetting to turn your rear light on and not being arsed to own a front light is probably about the weakest defense ever…

I very much doubt most Rozzers actually know (or really care) what you should have fitted to be totally compliant (Pedal reflectors, front and rear reflectors and lights, etc) but a £5 set of cheapo LEDs from Tesco would probably have kept him off your case…

Bez

Electron Backupz have killed all excuses for not being lit up. One of the best bike accessories ever made.

Kevevs
    Free Member

front and rear lights from aldi/tesco/asda for less than a tenner to be wholly legal and comply with your average bobby. (asda got park tool shaped chain splitters with 2 powerlinks for 3pounds). It’s not hard 🙂

I’m a bit confused by the “crossing the road” bit.
    Were you walking across the road, as a pedestrian pushing a bike, or were you riding across the road, from one pavement to the other ?

epicyclo

The policeman has probably scraped up a few invisible cyclists in his time…

lewismorgan
    Free Member

My defence is weak admittedly!
    He gave me no paperwork at all, just the bollocking and i always thought it was an on the spot fine, but hey ho
    will keep you updates

uplink
    Free Member

He gave me no paperwork at all

Nothing is going to happen

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Really? is that because its an on the spot fine?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

best purchase Electron Backupzz set then!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

got to admit, im slightly worried now, excpecting him any minute!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

it was working when you left your home WAS’NT IT! … and you was unaware, he SHOULD if he was’nt just after Revenue just mmake you aware of it and to get it fixed (unless Malfunction is a crime these days?)

No need to pay anything since you haven’t broken Common Law

Learn this;

Freedom is more than a seven letter word

and you can refuse to go to court. Have fun with the system 😆

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Well Pc Plod came round , not a bad chap actually advised me to get a set of “working” lights, thought it would funny to bring me some batteries and just said im not going to fine you because £30 would be better spent on a set of new lights!
    These are the type of officers we need!

cookeaa

you.going to.buy some lights then?

nuke

you.going to.buy some lights then?

Apparently so…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/most-powerful-front-bike-lights

qwerty
    Free Member

Dredd says: “legally, if your your riding on the road (lit or unlit) you should have: a working red rear light, white front light, rear red reflector and i thinks pedal reflectors, and yes LED flashing lights are legal (provided they flash between *** min & *** max)

if it were a car driver driving at night without lights the STW massive would be in uproar”

lewismorgan
    Free Member

But let’s be honest
    Car drivers are general T****rs to cyclists!

qwerty
    Free Member

But let’s be honest
    Car drivers are general T****rs to cyclists!

a bit like saying:
    “But let’s be honest cyclists are general T****rs to pedestrians!”

a food chain exists, know your place in it and act with respect

lewismorgan
    Free Member

qwety
    have you ever been hit by a car?
    I have and have lost all feeling in my right hand.
    Car drivers don’t learn they dont follow the highway code themselves and they squeeze past at every oppurtunity.
    http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/
    Well to be quite frank I’ve never had an issue with pedestrians

cookeaa

Hang on.

So having been previously hit by a car and injured you decided to ride a bike with a take away hanging off the bars, without lights at night….

But its Car drivers that never learn…

warton
    Free Member

a food chain exists, know your place in it and act with respect

total garbage, what gives car drivers rights over cyclists? nothing at all.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Spot on Warton

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Laws of Bikes’ is closed to new replies.