Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Lawn updates
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

bike bags for goalposts

teasel
    Free Member

Where is the stick now? Back in the kindling pile? Or is it a special bike balancing stick, being saved until next time?

It probably snapped shortly after the pic was taken, what with all that shit on the poor thing…

johndoh
    Free Member

Mine is a mess – I have been doing loads of garden redesign which has required a couple of areas of new turf. Where the new turf is, it’s lush green and growing quickly. Elsewhere it is patchy with some parts green and long, others grey and getting a weed/moss covering. Further not helped by a scorched patch where I had the fire pit running at ‘centre of the sun’ intensity at a party back in August.

As others, I am hoping for a dry period so I can cut it one last time and overwinter it.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Quick question. If you throw new seed down over an existing lawn do you need to put top soil over the top of it? Or will the seed naturally fall down to the soil under the existing grass with a good bit of rain/watering.

Aiming to improve the quality of grass rather than cover up bald patches.

molgrips
    Free Member

The latter.

PS lawnsmith.co.uk

johndoh
    Free Member

Quick question. If you throw new seed down over an existing lawn do you need to put top soil over the top of it?

You will get better results by covering it up but you don’t have to .

fifeandy
    Free Member

A bit of a mess, but less than it was (kind of).

Started the year as a blanket of moss and dead grass, two batches of feed and weed, scarified 3 times, and was left with sort of patchy at both ends, and 10 ft of something resembling a lawn in the middle.

Fast forward a few months, and with NC500 and a month of light rain on a daily basis, the nice bit got too long, and when i finally cut it, it all went yellow.

So a yellow patchy mess, but at least made of grass not moss.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Mossy lawns don’t need cutting as often … just saying.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Quick question. If you throw new seed down over an existing lawn do you need to put top soil over the top of it?

Depend how bad it is, I just overseed it after scarifying. The fresh young grass does grow noticeably quicker than the old stuff.

For patches though definitely put some compost/topsoil down with it or the seeds dry out too quickly between waterings, even if done daily. Doesn’t need covering, just enough to stop the seeds washing away or clumping together.

Alphabet

Mines a mess. It’s been too wet for ever to mow. Just waiting for a few dry days in a row to give it a final cut before winter.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Just had the chap from Lawnmaster round for its 3 monthly feed/weed. “High potash” this time apparently, off to look on lawnsmith to see what that’s about (cheers molgrips!) Only his second visit, certainly impressed so far.

woody2000

A mish mash of moss, half decent grass and bald patches 🙂

We “reclaimed” a few flowerbeds over the last 12 months so we have some turfed patches that are still bedding in. Looks ok when it’s short, but when it grows some bits are much thicker than others. Going to try and improve it next year. Managed to sneak in a cut last night, think it might be the last one now but we’ll see.

What’s the current STW favourite cordless mower? I hates wires! 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

What’s with this final cut talk? Mine had monthly cuts last winter as it was so mild

Freester

Bloody mower broke yesterday. It owes me nothing. I think it’s an old B&Q brand – Omega by Mountfield. Briggs and Stratton engine. I’ve been nursing it a long for years. The deck is rusting with holes. Then the aluminiumn handle you push it with sheared / snapped yesterday. Can’t push or steer it any more.

I got my mum’s old Bosch electric mower. Feels like half the width of my old petrol one. Took me forever to finish mowing the lawn, wrestling with the cable etc. I reckon I got a few more cuts before the winter. Do I buy a new mower now or wait?!

woody2000

final cut talk

If nothing else, it’s generally too wet through most of the Yorkshire winter to cut. If it’s dry(ish) and mild then it’ll get an occasional cut.

simon_g

Spent pretty much all of Saturday on it (albeit with a toddler to distract at the same time). Short cut, dug up the worst bits of weeds/mushrooms and the like, then scarifying blade on the mower. Could have filled three wheely bins easily. Then fixed all the holes I’d made and chucked a load of seed down.

Looks bloody awful now (and will probably get worse) but hoping for some decent improvements for next summer.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Had perfect growing conditions since the beginning of July, so its all very lush and green in Surrey. Managed to cit it yesterday just before it started to rain and then it rained all night, so that was perfect timing! (for once)

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I mowed my lawn in Dec and Jan! Currently it needs a mow, badly, but it’s rained again so it’ll have to wait.

TiRed

Looks like carpet. It’s care is contracted out to the Queen’s Gardener, who tends the lawn in front of her apartment. It started badly, but after removing a tonne of thatch and weeds, two tonnes of top dressing, and some seeds, it came up beautifully. Sadly the dog is doing her worst, but has at least stopped digging now.

Oh and we have one of the old Keep of the Grass signs too 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s the ideal time of year for a deep scarcity so get it done if you’re thinking about it.

My front lawn looks nice, with a regular high cut. Aerated it 3 weeks ago so should be nicer next year too.

My garden is bloody clay and stays spongy for ages after rain so I have been taking measures. Sadly, the stuff between the drains still stays damn wet for ages, though there’s no puddling now at least.

Still, some people are worse. I am still getting calls to new customers with lawns like this, what with hundreds of new houses going up in the area

legend
    Free Member

My garden is bloody clay and stays spongy for ages after rain so I have been taking measures. Sadly, the stuff between the drains still stays damn wet for ages, though there’s no puddling now at least.

Just embrace the moss, you’ve moved to somewhere unwinnable…..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t mind the moss one bit…i just want the kids to be able to play on it the day after rain without it becoming a mud bath. It’s the back garden and I like to let it get a bit overgrown, let things flowers in it as it’s a more fun place that way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I realised why my overseeding never worked – tons and tons of slugs eating the new shoots! So I put slug pellets down and then overseeded last week, and I think shoots are coming up now!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lawn updates’ is closed to new replies.