Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Lawn updates
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How’re your lawns getting on?

Mine’s doing ok now – I hadn’t fed it enough, but I’d been relying on weed and feed, but that always ends up scorching the grass. Weeds aren’t really a problem so I’m now using just plain feed and it’s much safer.

I also lowered the lawnmower blade and that’s really helped. Lots of advice out there saying ‘don’t cut it too short’ but what ‘too short’ means isn’t clear. I was leaving mine much too long apparently which was causing it to get all matted when walked on and not thicken up.

However I have dead patches on the shady side where overhanging plants had killed it, and I hadn’t managed to get any seed to germinate on it. Just went to take a look now and it’s covered in slugs. Apparently slugs eat grass seed!

jam-bo

Jungly.

Coyote
    Free Member

Mainly a weed patch. Waiting for it to dry out so I can give a final mow before putting the mower away till spring. Not looking likely to be honest…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Same, back yard is okay but we missed the front as we ran out of time. I mowed our last one too late when it was wet and it all died.

somouk
    Free Member

Mine is too long at the moment, a mixture of being away during the nice weather and it raining too much to cut it recently. I will hopefully cut it at the weekend giving it chance to recover before Winter.

Stainypants

Havent mowed mine since end of July due to a long holiday followed by non stop rain. The neighbours will be complaining soon

Markie
    Free Member

Having had a dreadful start to the year – mainly due to my leaving a tent set up in the backyard throughout last winter so impromptu backyard camping could be a thing – the lawn is currently fantastic! Gave it its weekly mow today and it was like a lush carpet of springy greenness!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blooming (natch)lovely thanks f’raskin.

Took a damn long time to get to this wonderment of green and softness, but for once in my lifetime I can say I’m really rather pleased with the effort that’s gone into it..

S’plendid..

lyrikal
    Free Member

I discovered you can draw pictures or sign your name by peeing on it.

All my own handwriting!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine will need mowing well into November, last winter I mowed throughout. Only once a month though.

themilo
    Free Member

Kids left a bloody blow up pool on it while I was away. Nice rectangle of brown deadishness that refuses to come back to life. Rest isn’t half bad though ta.

Jamie
    Free Member

My lawn has taken bodies…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwR8F5mB3qs[/video]

nuke

Following building work, laid turf over a muddy mess that was our garden (albeit only about 30m2 of lawn) and it took very well, too well really as the advice was dont cut for first couple of months but some areas were getting silly long. Now however the areas where the fence shades the lawn, the grass is quite thin so currently trying to re-seed the thinner areas as September is apparently the month to reseed…did it last week, still early days

wilburt
    Free Member

Mine’s going ok only problem is a patch on the front lawn thats gone ballistic, it’s good but putting all the rest to shame.

I need to superfeed the rest any recommendations?

pocpoc
    Free Member

Mine looks pretty much the same as when it was laid 4 months ago!
    One of the best decisions I’ve made. It was an eternal battle against rain, dogs, rabbits and children that left it a muddy mess that was unusable.
    Now we can use it all the time, the kids can play on it and I don’t have to worry about leaving stuff out on it for extended periods like paddling pools.
    Photo of the “grass” with a bonus dog just because I can!

nedrapier

got 23 kgs of seed ready to go when we’ve (hopefully) finished levelling on Sunday.

nedrapier

that looks really good, pocpoc. like an outdoor carpet.

What’s it feel like between the toes?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’re laying seed this late into September? That’s just going to rot over the winter is it not? I’ll be cutting mine short once it’s dry and raking the thatch out soon!

nedrapier

It’ll be grand. Still some sun and some warmth, stuff’s still growing.

breadcrumb

Mines full of thatch, not too many weeds though.

I’ve got a scarifier, but having never used it I’m wary that I will ruin the lawn..

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Bought a scarifier last year. A word of warning, only do it if the Mrs is in a good mood! Mine went mental as the front lawn was a right mess after. Took a good few weeks to recover. I’m thinking I’ll leave ours until next spring this year. Front lawn seems quite slow growing. Don’t really want to risk such an invasive procedure this late on!

pocpoc
    Free Member

What’s it feel like between the toes?

Better than I was expecting.
    It can feel a bit plasticky-crunchy at times, and unexpectedly warm when the sun’s been on it for a bit, but for a small garden with kids and pets it’s a million times better than the bare mud with a few blades of grass in it that was there before.

rone

Patchy, but have fixed some of the worst bits.

Our lady Border Terrier leaves nice yellow patches that I try to keep on top of.

Found leaving it longer than a week before cutting is better than cutting every week.

Not weedy but the odd bit of clover.

Not as good as the neighbours.

mugsys_m8

Mine’s a right bloody state. Always has been. Always will be. It passes for grass here in France, but really it’s just all sorts, and is as it was before the house got built when it was a grass field for grazing, probably with lots of walnut trees.

I despair of it, I really do. It’s not grass, it’s just a random miscellaneous collection of weed on undulating ground that I attack every 2 weeks or so with the mower. I was in awe of my parents grass when I came over to the uk to visit. It’s so green, it’s so lush, it’s so…well grass like.

footflaps

A local squirrel is wrecking our lawn digging holes all over it….

fanatic278
    Free Member

We went from summer to winter overnight here in Aberdeenshire. So scarifying isn’t a possibility.

Front lawn is lush, thick and bouncy. Which doesn’t seem to be in fashion up here. All the lawns up here are cut down to the roots. And then turn into moss over the winter.

mugsys_m8 – Member
    Mine’s a right bloody state. Always has been. Always will be. It passes for grass here in France, but really it’s just all sorts, and is as it was before the house got built when it was a grass field for grazing, probably with lots of walnut trees.

I despair of it, I really do. It’s not grass, it’s just a random miscellaneous collection of weed on undulating ground that I attack every 2 weeks or so with the mower. I was in awe of my parents grass when I came over to the uk to visit. It’s so green, it’s so lush, it’s so…well grass like.

I had a lawn in Houston (USA) that looked lovely and thick, despite the 40degC weather. But the grass was like razor blades. You couldn’t sit on it. But maybe that sort of grass would partially solve your problem?

mugsys_m8

I’m not going to do anything about it…I’d be the talk of the village if I did anything to my ‘grass’ rather than keep it under control provoking comments about ‘the english is doing his lawn’. Even as it is, sometimes I feel I am viewed as being obsessive about it the amount I cut it (despite the fact that it often doesn’t get cut for 6 weeks when I am away)…

funkmasterp

Mines an utter mess. Thinking of paving over it next year.

loddrik
    Free Member

Our lady Border Terrier leaves nice yellow patches that I try to keep on top of.

Almost snap. Male border terrier and not doing a great job of keeping on top of.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Bit the bullet and decided to give it a scarify today. 3 passes being careful not to go too deep. Filled half a wheelie bin! Actually doesn’t look too bad. Think not going too deep straight off is the key. Last time ended up looking like a potato field.

Quick brew then I’ll chuck some seed down. Need to start getting some better grass into the lawn. Stuff now is too fine & prone to disease for a north facing front lawn (according to the fella from Law master)…

molgrips
    Free Member

A local squirrel is wrecking our lawn digging holes all over it….

So just leave it, in 10 years you will have a lovely hazel coppice.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Lawns? I keep mowing patches of green stuff interspersed with dips, holes, mud, concrete, piles of bricks, green mesh for parking on – I would love this building work to finish soon but I think we have another few weeks yet.

legend
    Free Member

Mine is currently a battleground with mo bacter eating the moss and nematodes eating the leather jackets. Not sure what happens if the mo bacter and nematodes decide they don’t like each other

jam-bo

Just had to knock mine back with the strimmer as it was so long it was never going to dry out enough to cut.

Just finished raking it and it’s so tufty I’m going to have to do it again.

DrP

My lawn is pretty tip top….
    I’m no gardener so when we moved in we had all the borders dug up and seeded..
    I figured I can’t ‘do’ flowers, but would focus on having nice lawn. I weed+feed it a few times a year, and mow it before it gets too long.
    It’s nice a green and thick (bar the newly seeded borders – they’ll need another year or 2 to thicken up).

I actually don’t mind a bit of moss in the lawn – makes it softer!!

DrP

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Not too bad – mixture of grass, weeds and moss! It’s no bowling green but it’s ok. Just paid my son (11) £10 to mow it while I checked my stans Flows for cracks (see other thread) – all fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ours has gotten a bit long as no time/weather to mow it (aiming to do it this evening).

breadcrumb – Member
    Mines full of thatch, not too many weeds though.

I’ve got a scarifier, but having never used it I’m wary that I will ruin the lawn..

I took our front lawn back to something that resembled the Somme, kept going over it until no more moss/thatch came out, which was two big trailer loads to the tip! Once it’s done properly once though all it needs is a yearly once over which removes barely anything.

Tips:
    1) Wait till spring now, it’s a 2 month process really.
    2) Get a spreader for doing the feed/weeder/seeding, avoids leaving big burnt patches where you overdo it by hand.
    3) Leave as long as possible between applying the weedkiller and scarifying, otherwise you kill the seeds you put down afterward. Hence the 2months, if the mosskiller takes 6 weeks to wash out completely it’ll be November and you’ll not get grass to grow. Better to apply weed/moss killer as soon as you start mowing in the spring and scarify later. The downside is your lawn will look a bit threadbare for the summer rather than the winter while the new seed takes hold.

nedrapier

I’ve bowed to advice on the lawn. Leaving the seeding till spring. Not worried about the grass growing, but it’s the other stuff: If we wait til spring we can weed, rake autumn leaves and regrade the levels after the earth settles. Feel a bit better now we’re not racing. Feel a bit worse that the End is further away. Right thing to do, though!

postierich
    Free Member

Coming on nicely
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/YtV3SJ]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

nedrapier

Very nice, Rich. Where is the stick now? Back in the kindling pile? Or is it a special bike balancing stick, being saved until next time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lawn updates’ is closed to new replies.