Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Laugh out loud reads.
  • chip
    Free Member

Need to boost my serotonin levels,
    so recommendations for genuinely funny books please.

njee20
    Free Member

French Revolutions by Tim Moore

steveoath
    Free Member

S**t my Dad says.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Adolf Hitler. My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan

Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe

garage-dweller

Not sure how much it is laugh out loud but if you like/have a vague knowledge of 20th century history

The 100 year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared

Is a great read, well written, darkly funny and quite involving.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hitchhikers guide ROFLCopter

garage-dweller

Tom Sharpe is a good call is Riotous Assembly the one set in South Africa. If so be warned very not pc…

I also liked Porterhouse Blue, Ancestral Vices and Vintage Stuff by him.

Bruce Dickinson wrote two books of a similar style The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace which are similarly filthy and amusing.

Neither author is imo suitable for those without a “broad” mind…

somafunk

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas : Hunter S Thompson is a good read.

martinhutch

PG Wodehouse. The first Jeeves Omnibus is as good a place as any to start.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you sure you don’t want “Haha” reads?

Pyro

For the typically British adventurer humour, The Ascent of Rum Doodle.

Garry_Lager

Cugel’s Saga by Jack Vance – fantasy book, v funny style.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anything by Christopher brookmyre, John niven, or David F. Ross.

eddie11
    Free Member

2nd Many of the above^ Add Catch22.

ElShalimo

Any Tim Moore book

eddie11
    Free Member

French Revolutions is a bit try hard at the beginning but either it gets better or he grinds you down. The Italian one is more even and still funny. All IMO of course.

Rubber_Buccaneer

is Riotous Assembly the one set in South Africa

It’s one of them, I think there were two. Last time I read them there was still apartheid in RSA. I’d second any book by Tom Sharp or any of Spike Milligan’s war memoirs as proper laugh out loud and embarrass yourself on the train funny.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Add Catch22

Both funny and sad, maybe my all time favourite book. The follow up, Closing Time, I wouldn’t bother with.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Definitely hitch hikers. I have been going back to it since I was a teenager.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yeah, l like most Douglas Adams stuff. The Dirk Gently books were easily as good as the four in the Hitchhikers trilogy 🙂

northernmatt

Incompetence by Rob Grant had me in tears a few times mainly because it’s so bloody childish.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Viz !!

singletrackmind

The Picolax thread ?

chip
    Free Member

Lots of great suggestions thanks.
    But none of which are available on kindle unlimited. And although most are listed as available in kindle and despite the fact it will let me download a sample it won’t let me purchase the books in there entirety.

binners

Catch 22 is the best book ever written IMHO. If you’ve not read it, you really should.

I love the Red Dwarf books too. Even funnier than the programme.

Oh … Kill Your Friends by John Niven is a hilariously twisted descent into cocaine fuelled murderous madness! Another must read!

tang
    Free Member

Cycling back to happiness – Bernie Friend

Spike Milligan’s war memoirs. Very very good.

Anything by Tim Cahill.

chip
    Free Member

Sussed it, have to go into my amazon account to buy rather than through the kindle app.

Downloaded riotous assembly and will bookmark this thread for future reference.

funkrodent

Will second all of the Tom Sharpe books. Riotous Assembly was his first book. It git him deported from South Africa. The sequel to it is called Indecent Exposure and is also very funny. I would also recommend the Wilt books by the same author. They are (loosely) based on his job as a Polytechnic lecturer (remember them?) after he moved to the UK. Also worth reading by Tom Sharpe are Vintage Stuff (about a psychopathic schoolboy who takes everything literally) and Ancestral Vices.

I’ll also second all the Spike Milligan war memoirs. Very funny and also very hunbling.

Have a crack at the Flashman books by the late, great George Macdonald Fraser. They are the fictional memoirs of Harry Flashman VC, KCB, KCIE, Briatin’s greatest war hero who is at the heart of every major military and political escapade from 1840 until 1904 (incl The Afhgan War, The Indian Mutiny, The Slave Trade, Custer’s last stand, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Zulu War et al) despite his increasingly desperate attempts to leg it and/or surrender. In truth he’s a coward, a shsyter, a cad and a layabout, yet he always manages to emerge from the most heinous situations with his credit intact and his reputation enhanced. In truth it his natural skills at languages and disguise, horsemanship and womanising – few women can resist his manly charms and more often than not the Flashman gambit (left hand on breast, right hand on buttock and go for the lips) does the trick – that get him out of trouble! The books are extremely well written, very funny and also remarkably historically accurate (other than Flashman of course, who didn’t exist). There’s a reason that none of them have ever been out of print since the first was published in the early 70s. Enjoy!

grahamt1980

Flashman sounds great.
    Space captain Smith (can’t remember the author sorry) is another good read

jimmy

Red Dwarf used to have me laughing as a kid – better than the telly.

MartynS

Bill Bryson…
    Life and times of the thunderbolt kid had me laughing so much I had to put the book down..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d agree with Flashman, Wodehouse, Bryson and add a few more;
    Penguins Stopped Play by Harry Thompson. (Helps if you like cricket, doesn’t matter if you don’t)
    Jasper Fforde. You’ll either get his stuff and love it or not. Marmite books. I love Marmite.
    Tragically I was an only twin – A collection of Pete and Dud stuff. Utter hilarity.

Moe

The Tent the Bucket and Me, Emma Kennedy

mintimperial

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome.

Agreed! A lovely book.

There was also an excellent radio adaptation of this recently as well. Punt, Dennis and Rhind-Tutt combined to make something glorious. Sadly not on iPlayer any more, but worth a hunt.

mintimperial

Ooh, I’ll try to track that down.

The follow-up Three Men On The Bummel has some excellent bits too, and is about cycling (to the same extent as the first one is about boating, anyway). Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow is pretty good too. JKJ is one of my favourite writers for when I need cheering up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Calvin and Hobbes comic books..

Not books but quite funny websites
    http://dontevenreply.com/index.php
    https://www.facebook.com/getinthesea
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics

banks
    Free Member

The curious memoirs of Thomas penman – Bruce Robinson. Everyone who I’ve lebt it to has passed it on & said it’s brilliant, but perverse.

bencooper
    Free Member

Like Philip K Dick written by a foul-mouthed Glaswegian.

DezB
    Free Member

Danny Baker – Going to Sea in a Sieve.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Laugh out loud reads.’ is closed to new replies.