• This topic has 50 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Lauf suspension fork
  • dis40
    Free Member

Might be intetested in one of these and just woundering if anyone uses or used one. If so would intetested in your thoughts

jonnyboi

25% discount available if you’ve entered the Dirty Reiver. But still over priced at that IMHO.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Please no, they’re just such a mechanically unsound design. The wheel is effectively attached to the frame with a pair of springs, there’s nothing to keep the axle tracking correctly as it travels up and down. As soon as you start going around a corner you’ll be fighting the lateral movement.
    Not to mention the lack of damping…

hols2
    Free Member

I think pushbikerider is exaggerating a bit, they’re probably no worse than Rockshox Indys.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Please no, they’re just such a mechanically unsound design. The wheel is effectively attached to the frame with a pair of springs, there’s nothing to keep the axle tracking correctly as it travels up and down. As soon as you start going around a corner you’ll be fighting the lateral movement.

Have you actually ridden one?

flange
    Free Member

I’ve ridden them, one of the earlier ones and one of the later ones.

The early ones suffered badly from lateral flex to the point where it was quite unnerving. The later one was better but still not great. I think if you’re a lighter rider (I’m not) then you’ll probably be fine but for me the slight (and I mean slight) benefit from having a little squish was offset by the vagueness/scaryness of the flex.

Rob C on here used one for the SDW double double and TD so he’s had way more experience than me – probably best to ask him

dis40
    Free Member

Flange, thanks. I belive they do have a 4 week full refund policy if you do not like. I am about 70kg so not that heavy (or light by some cycling standards!) And would only be used gor xc type riding.
    Ideally would like to try one before buying, but may just end up staying with rigid fork.

GregMay
    Free Member

And yes I’ve rode them. Early models. Lateral flex as above was noticeable at 80kg.

whitestone
    Free Member

A bit early for the vomiting gnome Greg, there haven’t even been any photos yet 😆

GregMay
    Free Member

Never to early.

adsh
    Free Member

There are a suspicious number of low useage used ones for sale….

I raced against someone a couple of months ago using a pair. The pogo effect as we sprinted to the line was incredible to behold…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They used to be “common” here for marathons racers. (Dozen or so on the start)

They aren’t anymore. (2 or 3, mostly sponsored riders)

dis40
    Free Member

From the above sounding like they may still need a bit of developing before worth considering. Any positive experience of them?

c_klein87

i like mine for bashing round wiltshire on, no maintenance required so ideal winter fork, dead light and better than rigid which is the alternative. rode swinley on it which was fine, would get overwhelmed on anything too rough

Denis99
    Free Member

Had one , the fat bike version, Carbonara.

Wanted to love it, but just couldn’t get on with it.

For younger, fitter and stronger riders it might be ideal, but the lack of any compression damping is my main concern.

Fitted to the fat bike, the pogo stick action from successive hits was the biggest flaw.

Fire road riding, simple design, light , even liked the looks.
    Just needs some form of controlling the rebound and it would be a lot better and more popular.

dis40
    Free Member

Thanks for feedback so far, nice blog write up bikerbruce. If i got a pair it would be for longer regular rides instead of using rigid, maybe a few xc races. Nothing against normal sus forks just do not like the regular maintenance if used a lot.

Davesport

If we’re making a comparison to a conventional fork, how much does a Lauf fork cost?

dis40
    Free Member

Quite a lot! About £750.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Wait till you see John Climbers’ bikes.
    That Gnome will be working overtime.. 😳

metalheart
    Free Member

I saw this thread and wondered if the chundering gnome had made his appearance yet….

Made my afternoon it did :mrgreen:

jonnyboi

DirtyReiverHappyHour

Four words which may or may not get you 25% discount, allegedly.

but there’s also this, potentially

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/218385-foxs-new-adventure-cross-suspension-fork-revealed-instagram

robcolliver
    Free Member

There are lovers and haters of most bikes/parts in the world – I just select what works for me.
    The Lauf has done loads of rides with me, and I will be using it on the American Trail Race 5000 this June from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast via great places such as the home of Jack Daniels, through Arches national park and Moab. Its an off road race and the first bike shop on the course is 3000 miles in.
    I want a reliable rig, so the Lauf goes with me.
    It smooths out washboard, small hits and small rocks…. it is hopeless with taking air and thrashing around BPW.
    Follow its progress by checking out The Adventures of Rob Colliver blog. I won’t put up a link to it, but feel free to check the site.

They certainly get you noticed.

And it is a comfey ride too.

dis40
    Free Member

Thanks rob, if i ended up getting this fork would most likely be used in a simular fashion as yours. If i get air then something has normally gone wrong! Will have a look at the blog.

bedmaker

I have a Carbonara on my fatbike, i think it works great.

It’s interesting to see the reaction to the looks. In the real world, people meeting you on the trails who see it for the first time are overwhelmingly positive.

The hate for the looks is almost entirely confined to internerd warrior types on here.

jonnyboi

For £500 plus the potential of import duty and vat from Iceland it would have to be frigging awesome

juanghia
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to get a pair of the TR29s.

As a Designer I was more interested in the gorgeous aesthetic when they first hit the media to be honest, and as an XC rider the weight obviously!

I’ve run these almost exclusively for 2 years as my only form of suspension from Racing to Afan and they have been faultless. However, it depends on which paradigm you are coming from. I ride single speed carbon fibre rigid rocket bikes and I weigh about 67kg I have one other suspension bike and it has a whopping 100mm. If you are coming from a longer travel perspective you may find it odd and your riding will have to accommodate the fork, but the tales of poor tracking and bad lateral flex are greatly exaggerated. I’ve had 150mm Pike boys laugh then look a little sad when you overtake them on the descents or maybe it’s being over taken by a lyrca lout, and as above you’ll always get some keyboard warrior tell you they are shite.

Then comes the question would I pay for a Lauf fork, I reckon I would in the sales to build up yet another <9kg Hardtail, or if having something different was important – Note – it seems everyone in the car park with want to bounce your fork and lift up your bike to see what it weighs…it’s annoying. If you want a general hacking around trail bike then sadly you’re probably better off going with the traditional forks.

jonnyboi

That’s lucky you stumbled across this for your first post eh?

hols2
    Free Member

As a Designer I was more interested in the gorgeous aesthetic

as a non-Designer I think they are Ugly as Sin.

juanghia
    Free Member

That’s lucky you stumbled across this for your first post eh?

Well actually I stumbled across Krytons post on his new aeropress first and was going to rip the piss out of him, as we go a long way back. I came across this later but as someone who has actually ridden them for years I figured giving some sensible advice to someone looking for it would be appreciated.

But hey don’t let me stand in the way of you and your bitter little cynicism.

DezB
    Free Member

An f is pronounced the same as gh

steve_b77
    Free Member

As a Designer I was more interested in the gorgeous aesthetic

You fuggin’ what!!! God only knows what would pass as ugly in your world

jonnyboi

Aeropress and a lauf fork, you’re perfect for this place.

Right, off to ride my rigid bike and exude bitterness.

juanghia
    Free Member

Aeropress? Nah I was going to tell him to get over himself and just buy Nescafe

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I just read their website. They have zero damping. (!?!?)

A suspension fork designed by people who don’t understand how suspension works. If you want to know what these feel like you should take out all the internals from your normal forks except for the spring. blech

padkinson
    Free Member

My review of the original (non-boost) forks , which has been slightly changed by the editor to be less scathing (I would have given it 1 star).

Review for the boost versions will be up in the next few day, but a basic summary: better than the originals (stiffer, slightly better spring action); actually occupy a genuine niche (for gentle XC and marathon stuff) rather than being essentially useless like the old ones; still quite scary on jumps/drops/big impacts.

Got a set for sale incidentally…

jamj1974

Right, off to ride my rigid bike and exude bitterness.

Your post kinda left you open to that…

retro83
    Free Member

Retrodirect – Member
    I just read their website. They have zero damping. (!?!?)

A suspension fork designed by people who don’t understand how suspension works. If you want to know what these feel like you should take out all the internals from your normal forks except for the spring. blech

I think the material has some inherent damping. But anyway they also have no maintenance, no tuning required and 5 year warranty. Probably pretty decent for offroad touring.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I think the material has some inherent damping. But anyway they also have no maintenance, no tuning required and 5 year warranty. Probably pretty decent for offroad touring.

Nope. The website advertises zero so that you err … don’t lose any energy.

retro83
    Free Member

Retrodirect – Member
    Nope. The website advertises zero so that you err … don’t lose any energy.

shirley that can’t be case or you’d be bouncing along like a pogo stick the entire time 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Lauf suspension fork’ is closed to new replies.