Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Last time I use the cycle path
  • juiced
    Free Member

Just back from a late ride. Two older guys decide that they were going to block the cycle path as I approached, for no apparent reason other the cycle envy I guess, as they were probably not aware I was on the cycle path. Get to the bottom, then slow right down to let a car go, approaching me from my right is a hooded youth running at me whilst on a mobile. See's he cannot get to me, stops turns around. None of this would have happened if I used the road instead.

zaskar
    Free Member

Which City btw?

takisawa2

I'm guessing somewhere in Bristol…

juiced
    Free Member

Near Slough/ Back end of Heathrow. Only ever had youths run at me once before, many years ago in West London. Not exactly a dodgey area this time either. I suppose the risk going out late on a weekend eve is always going to be higher than normal.

westkipper
    Free Member

Ebola, Rabies, Anthrax, Cyclelanes/paths, Syphilis.
    If you had to choose between them I would choose syphilis, since you may have had some fun gettng there,and its not always fatal.

zaskar
    Free Member

Report it to your local Police beat!

juiced
    Free Member

😛

juiced
    Free Member

the older guys did not appear to be such a risk, other than being awkward as they did not exactly stop me riding past, just seemed to try to block the way as i approached. The guy running at me I felt was however a real risk. I also I suppose it's possible he was running for something else, but seemed unlikely.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had a fun discussion with someone at work, as they were ranting on about how cyclists should be using the cycle path. The cycle path in question is v narrow, is a shared right of way (it's great fun when you meet plebs walking about 6 dogs at once on it) and has oodles of junctions which is just what you need when trying to make progress to work. I tried it once and will never ever do it again it was more lethal than the road 😆

juiced
    Free Member

Yeah usually I do not use them, but this section of road has some major lorries going along it over the bridge to Heathrow, complete with traffic islands that narrow the road. Oh well no harm done.

takisawa2

Had some chavs run after me in a local wooded area once, was dark & I heard one shout "get the bike"…outpacing a diamond white swigging chain-smoker wasn't exactly difficult. Have been through there since with no probs.

juiced
    Free Member

Well done. That's one of the reason's I like using a helmet light when on night rides.

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm going to stand up a wee bit for the peds/ dog walkers here. Most separated cyclepaths dont just magically appear from nowhere- they get imposed over existing walkways, rights of way etc, and people who have for years enjoyed a quiet walk, or exercised their dog,Ssuddenly find sustrans or whoever making them third class citizens.
    And simultaneously eroding the rights of cyclists to be seen as traffic on the road.

juiced
    Free Member

Yeah fair point. I have been on other cycle paths, ( although oddly i just said i do not use cycle paths usually??) on the cycling side of the line and had people just appear from the other side. Most are probably not aware of the dividing line. This is where my bell comes in handy. 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

Bear in mind that, although The Highway Code recommends you use a cycle path when available, National Standard for Cycle Training says you should be a meter from the edge of your lane (if leftmost) or in the middle of it (any other). When overtaking traffic do as motorcyclists do, when riding along look at the road and find the place within the lane where you will be seen clearly by the driver. Don't forget if they don't have to swing around you they won't.
    BTW The area West of Heathrow towards Slough is one of the worst ones according to Groundwork Thames Valley cycling officer that I know. It, apparently, makes West End calm and easy to ride in.

white101

I'm a long way from Heathrow, but in woods and lanes round my area if it wasn't for dog walkers we wouldn't have half as many great little trails. Walking the same routes for years has certainly produced a fine number of trails for us riders.
    I've always said I would love to be able to commute to work on the bike, but there seems to be a lot more tails on here of meeting dodgy folk enroute & difficult road conditions

juiced
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Hairychested, the lanes in actual Slough alonge the Bath road tbh are superb. Something like 2 miles of lane. Interesting comment about the West Of heathrow.

project
    Free Member

Buy a whistle and if threatened blow it hard,repeatedly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Last time I use the cycle path’ is closed to new replies.