Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Last Night?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody get out in that torrential god awful weather last night? we were out for 2 hours up peaks, absolutly hammered it down for 2 hours plus before we set off, 2 hours plus whilst riding, and 2 hours plus after riding 😆 saw a couple of other guys out, and they agreed we must be absolutly mental 😆

seriously the worst conditions ive been out in, to boot it was mega mega mega windy too!

funnily as i wore my mw80 waterproof boots and some event waterproof trousers, i stayed completely dry! was amazed, cant see my riding in any worse than that ever!

anyways point being – some of us are mental for the thought of contemplating going out in that, but oddly enjoy it once your in the thick of it!

anyone else get out then? i have woke up with the sniffles today though 🙁 😆

great ride, 1st full on pitch black night ride from start to finish!

snakebite
    Free Member

from an email extract…

“So, funny commute home yesterday. Sat in the office at 4pm listening to the wind and rain and thinking f*ck. By 5 it was worse. Waterproof top, but not bottom. Stayed til 5.30 and the rain eased a bit but the wind was proper Autumnal… had lights, figured the canal would be swamp city so set off up past the old hotel to Barlaston downs. Not a soul about, rain probably stopped, just the tree droplets getting blown about so quite OK. Got to the top of the Downs, and it was fantastic, a reet proper good night, windy as FK, great visibility, trees nearly blowing over and a tail wind wherever I went. Ended up doing a full loop and triple climb in what turned out to be an exhilarating ride rather than a sodden commute!

Came in via the canal today, it was a mess, as was I. Luckily, I had muddy socks and wet pants when I rolled in…..”

So, yes, I too was out last night.

redted
    Free Member

Yes, I turned up to see the rest of our gang disappear up the road 3 minutes before 6.30 which is the usual cut off. I hooted and flashed but off they went. Gits!!!!

Still managed to drag my arse out the van and set off.

Bizzarely I had a great 2 hr ride. MW80s and Endura Stealth Jacket are definitely the most worthwhile bits of kit I’ve ever bought. Felt slightly nervous about riding alone in case of an accident but I was suitably dressed and equipped so just rode sensibly and gave it some beans on the easier bits.

Due to family commitments and 2hrs on a Tuesday night being about the only outdoor riding I’ve been able to get for 6 months, I’ll now ride in any weather. I find that once you’re out in it, it’s ok. It’s just getting your self out that door in the first instance that’s the hard bit.

Saintly
    Free Member

Yep I too dragged my self out last night.

Training for a duathlon so had got it in my head i was going to do 8k run, 20k bike, 8k run, as it turned out I only did the first run and bike sections. My running route was predominantly ankle deep water with some knee deep water in sections, when i got back in from the bike i was chilling off so decided to head for the showers instead :?!!

Bike was lots of fun, forgot how exhilirating it is being out in god awful weather, chuckling at the stupidty. My flat mate thought i was proper mental, but as the saying goes “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!”

dthom3uk

I cycled home from work. The rain was biblical and I had to dismount at one point I was getting blown across the road into the traffic.

Another thumbs up for Event though, I had the jacket and three quarter length shorts on. They are both excellent.

Mind you I was wishing I had my winter boots on and waterproof socks….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆 its funny but i almost enjoyed it as much as some of clear summer night rides we had – weird sense of enjoyment!

plus dont know if anyone else noticed, but you tend to grip alot better up the peaks when its raining!?!?! i dont mean when its rained, and just damp, that pretty lethal, but the rocks and descents when its actually tipping it down tend to be quite safe to go at speed, unsure why whether the sheer power of the rain clears a nice line for you to follow, but it was awesome grip wise last night!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Last Night?’ is closed to new replies.