Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • last minute veggie barbecue ideas
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I’m sorry, but vegetarianism really does look shite

We can but dream of maintaining a physique like yours on our shitty diet 😀

Most of my veggie mates eat fish. Especially if there’s fresh mackerel going on a barbie. Just ‘cos you don’t like it , there’s no need to get touchy

most of your mates aint veggies as I am almost certain that fish are classified within the animal kingdom- I am not sureiof this is being touchy or accurate …what do you think?

FWIW i once met a “veggie” who just did not eat red meat

A separate barbq is a must as i wont eat from the meat one.
    I like fruit [ peaches, nectarines, pears, apples, pineapples who cares] in tin foil parcels, pour in some wine, seal and then steamed on top of the barbq. Everyone likes boozy fruit even fish eaters who claim to not eat animals

TBH barbq’s are a poor choice for a veggie and I dont really do them for obvious reasons

kayak23

Baked potatoes also work brilliantly on BBQ’s, wrapped up in some foil and cooking away all discreetly like.

+1 for Asparagus, but herby butter on top is a must 🙂

Cougar

Personally, for barbecues I generally go with non-meat versions of regular BBQ food; so burgers, sausages and the like. I’m not a fan of over-complicating things. IHMO if you’re looking at a BBQ and broccoli thinking “how can I combine these two items?” then you’re Doing It Wrong.

Veggie kebabs are a good idea, but I’d want to serve that as a side to something burgerish.

Most of my veggie mates eat fish

They aren’t vegetarians, then. They’re pescetarians. (Or Americans.)

Please stop referring to fish-eaters as ‘vegetarians,’ it’s misleading and makes restaurant owners think that a tuna pasta bake is a great “vegetarian option”.

As a veggie myself, if you really wan’t to be nice to him, get a separate disposable BBQ for veggie stuff only.
    Kind of useless having some lush veggie food if you have to stick it next to all that manky lardy meat.

At the risk of sounding precious I’d actually insist on this (and ideally separate tongues etc), or I’d graciously pass up the food offer. The last thing I want is my food garnished with years of encrusted dead cow build-up and then drizzled with molten lard.

I’m only expressing an honest opinion.

Yet, it was interesting enough to make you come in here and read it and pass comment? Rock ‘n’ roll, hey?

loum
    Free Member

what do you think?

Mackerel’s a good seasonal barbie food, and it was a qualified suggestion “Veggie kebab. Mackerel if he eats fish”. It wasn’t, and still isn’t, established whether the OP’s “hippy” mate likes it. So there was no need to start a row, ending a comment “period” and using a line of SHOUTING CAPS. That’s touchy.

most of your mates aint veggies

Possibly 😉 But of those that are…
    I’ll continue to call them veggies (or hippies 😉 as per the OP) if that’s how they define their diet: whether they be pesco-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian or other. It’s common usage in English that they’re all sub-categories of the same larger generalisation. Even strict lacto-ovo vegetarians are contributing to the slaughter of chicken and cattle stock through sexing, so it’s all much of a muchness. Although it now appears there could be one distinct vocal subcategory, precious-vegetarians 😉

OP, hope the barbie’s worked out good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you and your PESCETARIAN friends can use words inaccurately if you wish
    but it just makes you all stupid 😉

veg·e·tar·i·an? ?[vej-i-tair-ee-uhn] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds like we’ve got a SHOUTY carnivore in the room. Best cut down on your meat intake fella. 🙂

Cougar

I’ll continue to call them veggies (or hippies as per the OP) if that’s how they define their diet

You can call them speedboats for the difference it makes; you (and they) are still using incorrect, misleading terminology. It’s akin to arguing that you’re a non-smoker, apart from cigarettes.

For bonus points, you’re also ignorantly assuming that everyone is vegetarian for identical reasons.

loum
    Free Member

“Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness.”

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

we are not self righteous on this issue we are just right hence why your defence is simply to attack vegetarians.

You are not wrong though we do have more morals than you 😉

kayak23

Edit: can’t be bothered…
    😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s touchy.

loum
    Free Member

you and your PESCETARIAN friends can use words inaccurately if you wish but it just makes you all stupid

10 foods to boost your brainpower Enjoy oily fish
    The essential omega-3 fatty acids – found in oily fish, as well as fish oil, walnut oil and flaxseeds (linseeds) – are high in DHA, fatty acid crucial to the health of our nervous system. Low DHA levels have been linked to a higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and memory loss. Fish also contains iodine, which is known to improve mental clarity.

😉

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/wellbeing/features/boost-brainpower/1/

Edit: ‘cos I think you’ll prefer this one from this article “High IQ link to being vegetarian”

There was no difference in IQ score between strict vegetarians and those who said they were vegetarian but who reported eating fish or chicken.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6180753.stm

grum
    Free Member

I’m no vegetarian but if you eat fish you aren’t one either – it’s pretty obvious really. I’ve heard people call themselves vegetarians and it seems to mean they don’t really like red meat.

+1 for anything involving halloumi btw

loum
    Free Member

bog off grum, its already 4 against one 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, someone’s trying hard.

No processed meat for you for a week.

Cougar

Ah, fish oil. There’s a grade one Bollocks Bingo quackery subject.

Try http://www.badscience.net/category/fish-oil/ for starters.

(Oh, and there’s considerably more omega oils in flax than fish)

its already 4 against one

Does that not tell you anything?

Junkyard
    Free Member

None of that proves that you are not using the word incorrectly so I think it rather proves my point which I shall not labour even if you wish to

Actually reading your link you are joking right?
    From your own link

Maybe that explains why many meat-reducers are keen to call themselves vegetarians when even they must know that vegetarians don’t eat chicken, turkey or fish.”

It also says veggies have a higher IQ which would explain the self righteousness. I assume we can all work out the wind. 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not vegetarian btw. 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

Grilled asparagus.
    Halloumi and veg kebabs.
    Corn on the cob.
    Alcohol.

Should keep most veggies happy at a BBQ?

I have seen both sides of the fence. People have interrogated me on my reasons for eating or not eating meat. Basically, just mind your own business. I’ll eat or not eat whatever I choose.

Tw*ts.

I once know a vegan who happily wore leather shoes but refused to eat honey. “It’s bee slavery”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nor am I, I am much smugger 8)

Did you consider minding your own business and letting them do what they wanted to do with shoes and bees ?
    Imagine saying one thing and doing another …shakes head in disbelief

loum
    Free Member

I’m not. But I’ve got lots of friends who are. :mrgreen:

grum
    Free Member

Junkyard earlier

Junkyard
    Free Member

proper lol at loum

Hope your GD snaps grum 😉

loum
    Free Member

good night

edit: but you need to watch this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kdXayLlOs10[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Hope your GD snaps grum

With my svelte figure and smooth riding style that’s hardly likely now is it.

boxfish
    Free Member

Please, won’t somebody think of the bees?

alfabus
    Free Member

I posted this, then realised I was supposed to be leaving early to get out of the office before the road closed for torch related shenanigans… interesting to read the aftermath now I’m back 🙂

Cheers for the all the suggestions guys. For the record, he doesn’t eat fish – but then he didn’t really eat fish before he turned hippy anyway.

I did some last minute shopping at the hippy grocery store while waiting for some fat bloke to run past with a lantern (on bath road, chelt… locals will know the shop!). Got some veggie burgers that looked reasonable – I don’t normally go for that sort of thing; I like veggie food to be *food* in it’s own right, rather than a pale approximation of something meaty. Why pretend to eat that you have decided not to eat?

Full menu was:
    Burgers (beef, made by me with onion, breadcrumbs, egg, s+p and a bit of cumin)
    Veggie burgers (from t’shop)
    Mushrooms topped with pesto and parmesan (cooked slow on indirect heat)
    Asparagus coated in mustard vinaigrette
    Crusty rolls
    Salad
    Load of Chutney made by her indoors.

I’ve made myself hungry again!

Dave

kayak23

Sounds blummin lovely Dave Alfabus. Nice one 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘last minute veggie barbecue ideas’ is closed to new replies.