• This topic has 30 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hels.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Last day at work tomorrow :) … take the piss or work as normal ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My last day at work tomorrow,nothing to go to as yet 🙁
    Do people take the piss and do very little and leave early or just carry on as normal ?
    me, will be a normal day and try finish a bit earlier and say bye bye to the lads ?

Caher

work as normal – you will one day need them for something.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Come in drunk and misbehave

*this may not be the best advice!!

woody21
    Free Member

Work – you may need them for a reference in the future

ton

never burn your bridges.

mrhoppy

My last day was last Friday and I had to bust my hump on a last minute piece of work despite having thought everything was sorted earlier in the week. Ho hum.

seavers
    Free Member

Leave on a good note. It’s how they will remember you. Apart from that why do a shitty job? Shirley that can’t feel good regardless of leaving or not.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I echo the above sentiments, but also suggest a practical joke or two.

darrell
    Free Member

call in sick

binners

The last job I was in was so shit that I went in on my last day with all the best intentions, but when faced with a scene of such epic Laural and Hardyness, the reason I was leaving, I thought ‘**** it!’ And just quietly walked out and went for a big walk in the hills home after less than an hour.

AlasdairMc

What your job is will influence what you do, but generally don’t start anything you can’t either finish or hand over that day. Tie up loose ends etc.

ampthill

End of last term a colleague gave a very negative leaving speech

Mainly he upset the people he considered friends

I’d take it easy but tow the line..

jekkyl

I have a line saved from Red Dwarf for my last day, Rimmer says it when he leaves to go to the brainy holoship: ‘I want you to know guys that in the future I’ll think of you as….. people I once knew’

DickBarton

Do the same as you do every day – the best you can on that day…just after lunch (for a bit of fun), get involved in some project talks and ensure that the area you work in gets given work…they’ll either thank you for giving them opportunities or will curse you, but either way, you’ll be remembered as the one that escaped the madness!

I’m a bit old-fashioned…I’d go in expecting to a full day and to do my best.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

jekkyl , one of my fave shows and a great quote 🙂
    I work at a sewage treatment plant, so no speeches to give or get extra work for the team , its little ole me on my area only, so normal duties it will be and pass my area over as good as when i started the shit job !

jaylittle
    Free Member

Always worth leaving on good terms.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Last place I left, I planned to work as normal, I even had a ‘to do’ list of things to tidy up – got to work extra early which seemed to cause a degree of panic, hushed voices and sideways glances.

I banged away at my list but at 10am I got called into the boss’ office, got a sincere thanks and a quick speech in front of my colleagues whilst someone in another office deleted all my log-ins and stopped my door card from working – I moonwalking out the door by 11.

piemonster

Different tactics for me.

I’d handed over pretty much everything and almost literally had nothing to do for the last week solid.

DezB
    Free Member

Last day???!

I’m working out my notice until redundancy in October and have been doing about an hours work a day for the past few weeks! Well, they have kind of removed all my duties… other people won’t be out until 2016 and have sod all to do now… bloody awful situation.

sobriety
    Free Member

I once turned up on my last day 5 hours late and still drunk from the pre-leaving drinks, and then only to accept my leaving card and appalling poundland gifts (they got me the original ‘I spit on your grave’), and then head back down to the pub.

Sometimes I miss working for the government*;-)

*I was temping and leaving to my first ‘real’ job, and I’d worked my nuts off in the 10 months I was there.

wiggles
    Free Member

Depends on the circumstances… my first job was proper shit and I hated every minute, I had an interview elsewhere and had a phonecall offering me the job and that I start in two weeks, so I just left a note on my bosses desk and went home…

FuzzyWuzzy

Depends why you’re leaving I guess, if it’s just for a better opportunity and your current place has done alright by you then I’d just work a standard Friday (long lunch and leave at 4pm…). If they’ve treated you like shit and made your working life a misery then I’m not sure I’d even be going in – I certainly wouldn’t be doing anything other than surfing the web or sleeping at my desk.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s my last day before 10 days holiday, do any of the above still count?

DickBarton

Working at a sewage plant – don’t flush the toilet when you leave…

Northwind

My last day was hogmanay, after 10 years in the company, taking voluntary redundancy. Was going to take it seriously, even though I had no work to do- I was on call as support for the new guys down south and to be fair, they really needed it, they had no clue. Got a phone call at 9am “You’ve got to stay til 5pm”, even though the guys I was on call for were leaving at 1pm. Gave it about a second’s thought, told them to **** off, went home at 9:03.

thefettler
    Free Member

On my last day in a job with very strict dress code, I shaved my head thinking I would be sent home, no just worked the shift normally (but my head was cold ) 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

Take in a cake. If you take in better cake than your boss has ever done, people will remember that you were sound.

🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ bigdummy , I do have cakes and doughnuts for the lads,
    Leaving cakes 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Don’t be an arsehole – why would you?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I would say that this is a rare occasion in life, were you can really just do what you like.

No ones gonna begrudge you leaving early/spending the afternoon down the pub.

Ten years time do you wanna look back on this job and think…. blooming hell I even worked my ar5e off on my last day for little to no thanks.

hels
    Free Member

I have had a few last days. General plan is to get anything than resembles work and handover stuff, desk cleaning out etc finished by the day before. Spend all day on your last day drinking coffee with people you actually like and wandering about the place chatting. Steal a couple of rolls of toilet paper. Download everything you ever worked on to a hard drive (joking obvs – did that months ago).

Pick a colleague you like and let them help you get drunk at lunchtime.

Last days aren’t for doing any actual work.

This is great – I think I might resign..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Last day at work tomorrow :) … take the piss or work as normal ?’ is closed to new replies.