Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Laser Eye Surgery
  • bruneep

druidh
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member
    Everyone your age needs reading glasses.

Bollocks

Flaperon

Fine. MOST people in their late 50s need reading glasses.

Here, have a look at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Key points:

“The ability to focus on near objects declines throughout life, from an accommodation of about 20 dioptres (ability to focus at 50 mm away) in a child, to 10 dioptres at age 25 (100 mm), and levels off at 0.5 to 1 dioptre at age 60 (ability to focus down to 1–2 meters only)”

And the most crucial:

Myopes considering refractive surgery are advised that surgically correcting their nearsightedness may be a disadvantage after age 40, when the eyes become presbyopic and lose their ability to accommodate or change focus because they will then need to use glasses for reading.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Had Lasek done about 7 years ago. The procedure is pretty full on and about the only thing going for it is that its quick.

I had a great result though and I’d recommend it.

schmoopie
    Free Member

Druidh – thank you for that, couldn’t have worded it better 😉

Flaperon – as I’ve lived with my eyesight all my life I think I know how it was better than you do: I assure you I most definitely had perfect near vision before Optimax f**** with it and DID NOT have presbyopia. Do some more research as NOT everyone over the age of 40 needs reading glasses, and one advantage of my shortsighted prescription (since age of 14) was that I might never have lost my perfect near vision. I am now unable to even peel a potato without glasses!

However, it was an absolute certainty that LASEK surgery would reverse my prescription causing the loss of my PERFECT near vision, & Optimax had a duty of care to advise me of such.

I can also assure you that I have been contacted by other patients who’ve had major problems with Optimax & been paid off by Russell Ambrose.

I thank you for your good wishes (why are people so mean), but I won’t be losing any money – Optimax will!

To anyone else interested in the very possible downsides of laser eye surgery, I suggest you check out http://www.optimaxruinedmylife.co.uk

schmoopie
    Free Member

PS: Reply from Optimax’s Office Administrator last week (in response to my 5 page letter addressed to Russell Ambrose) telling me the surgeon said that I, “may become more comfortable” with my vision, or, if I’m still unhappy, they can offer a retreatment for monovision – having ignored other salient points made, including my adamant statement that I would have to be insane to let anyone at Optimax anywhere near my eyes again!!

Needless to say, 2nd letter sent to RA & my lawyer on the case 🙂

I have also cancelled the Direct Debit payments, as that really was salt in my eyes – paying for this ruination of my eyesight! Will possibly end up with a bad credit rating, but right now, do I care?!

T666DOM

You do have presbyopia, everybody does regardless of your initial prescription, you will/have lost the ability to focus close up, as the proteins in your lens stiffen up with age. Being myopic masks this as being myopic [depending on refractive error] will mean the natural focal point of your eyes will be a close distance, for example if you were -3.00 your eyes optimum focal distance would be a handy 33cm.

You are absolutely correct that the LASEK would affect your ability to read without spex, I would have expected this to be explained to you, I always advise my clients they may require reading spex post LASER.

You may well need reading spex, but at least you can see in the distance!

Before you try monovision LASEK i’d try it in contact lenses first as it may play havoc with your depth perception, you may find that worse than the current situation. At least iof you don’t like the CL monovision you can reverse it easily by removing the CL’s, as you’ve found LASER refractive surgery is a bit more permanent.

andyl46
    Free Member

To anyone else interested in the very possible downsides of laser eye surgery, I suggest you check out http://www.optimaxruinedmylife.co.uk

Maybe its my eyesight, but I see **** all info on that site…

So when you signed up for laser eye surgery, what research did you do?

However, it was an absolute certainty that LASEK surgery would reverse my prescription causing the loss of my PERFECT near vision, & Optimax had a duty of care to advise me of such.

So if this was an absolute certainly, why go through with the surgery? I was very much informed that I would likely need reading glasses later in life. Repeatedly, in face to face meetings and in the literature.

T666DOM

To my horror I have lost my near vision (can’t even see my phone display or cooker controls!) & need +2.75 to read & +2.00 for TV. No-one at the clinic explained before treatment that this would happen – although my recent research shows it was a given as I am in my late 50s. I am now suffering with depression & anxiety attacks.

Maybe the research should have been carried out before you opted for surgery to the only pair of eyes you are given!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

schmoopie I really don’t understand you.

Optimax did both my eyes 18 years ago. Even then I was told categorically several times that Laser eye surgery would mean I would almost certainly need reading glasses when I got in to my 40’s, which I would avoid if I didn’t have the procedure.

My mum had the procedure in her 50’s and was told she would need reading glasses straight away unless they left one eye short sighted.

All this information has been out there for years and it’s on Optimax disclaimers and here on their website.
    just a quick gogle found this!

I really don’t think you will get anywhere with legal action as this side effect is well known, well documented, and Optimax are very open about it.

schmoopie
    Free Member

In response to the previous 3 bloggers:

1. I repeat, I was NOT told I would lose my near vision – even though I repeatedly asked for details of any risks: had I been advised this was a certainty – or even a remote possibility – I most definitely would not have had the surgery.
    2. I would never consider monovision as an option, my close up vision is (was) priceless to me. Wearing glasses for distance vision was not a big issue; I had laser treatment for practical reasons (lol).
    3. Whoopee – I can see in the distance – except I need +2.50 readers to watch TV 😥 Without reading glasses, I can’t work (relying on close up vision), pluck my eyebrows, cook, file my nails, read a book, see my caller display, shave my legs, etc… etc…
    4. Agreed, I should have done more research, but call me old fashioned,I relied on the honesty/ethics of the clinic staff & doctor to advise me of the risks – same way as an NHS doctor/anaesthetist will advise me before operating, without expecting me to have researched it on the net!

When I first called Optimax they encouraged me to go for a consultation where I would be told everything I needed to know. At the consultation (Finchley Rd) the optometrist told me the doctor (Croydon) would answer all my questions…!!

Unfortunately & naively, much of my research time was spent reading the Optimax patient feedback forums, where, I’ve since learned at my cost, the moderators quickly remove seriously negative posts!
    5. Re http://www.optimaxruinedmylife.co.uk
    Whilst this is meant as a contact point for people who have problems caused by Optimax, you can email them for information about the problems people have had.

On the day of my treatment the Optimax Croydon clinic surgeon was in a hurry, he sighed at my numerous questions & simply told me “your (my) eyes will be very nice with this“!

Pity Optimax weren’t open & honest with me when I asked about the predicted expectations of my surgery , “face to face“.

In the same way boriselbrus said, “schmoopie I really don’t understand you.” Neither do I understand why people who have had successful laser eye surgery are so defensive and antagonistic towards those who have been left with problems. Your mother was lucky, I wasn’t told – and nor were a number of other people I’ve met via these forums!!

So much for empathy & understanding!

andyl46
    Free Member

If you want empathy and understanding, you are in the wrong place.

2. I would never consider monovision as an option, my close up vision is (was) priceless to me. Wearing glasses for distance vision was not a big issue; I had laser treatment for practical reasons (lol).

So you had perfect close up vision, which is “priceless” to you, and wore glasses for distance which you didn’t mind. So what were the “practical” reasons for getting the surgery? And now, you still need glasses, just for a different range.

I have undergone laser surgery, and would not have even considered it had I not satisfied myself I had all the facts and addressed all the risks. In my opinion, you failed to do this, dont like the results and are now suing. I’m pretty sure I had to sign a form agreening that I had been advised of all the risks in the interview section. In fact, I am convinced of it. It was a four page document detailing all risks involved. I read it carefully, as I was wary about the op.

If you weren’t happy after your consultation AND the reaction form your surgeon, why on earth did you proceed? Your arguement doesn’t stack up for me. Good luck with your case, in my opinion, you’ll need it.

crankboy
    Free Member

schmoopie. I’m sorry to hear about you outcome. can i just ask how this has effected your mountain biking?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Only thing that would get my eyes under a laser is the otherwise complete halting of everything I like doing. If there were no other option and it was impossible to wear glasses to do all the things I like doing, then it might be an option. Not until then, only got one set of eyes, they’ve not figured out eye transplants yet, so no way in hell. The surgeons are only human, mistakes can be made. For vanity? For “inconvenience”? no chance.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I agree with Coffeeking – I was always worried about laser surgery because of the (albeit small) risks involved.

Then my close friend’s experience (somewhere up there on page 1 ^^^^) put me off for life.

schmoopie
    Free Member

I originally posted in the hope that my experience might help inform people considering Optimax laser eye surgery of the very possible risks.

There’s loads out there about the successes, but unfortunately negative posts are either deleted or shouted down, but it doesn’t mean they are less valid.

I’m not into a pissing contest – I’m a woman & don’t need to prove myself.

So Andy, you seem to want the last word, be my guest 😉

yannabanana
    Free Member

I had mine a year ago on NNJEI, I was unsure to under go on a LASIK surgery before but after I talked to my surgeon I got persuaded. And luckily, my surgery went out fine just what I prayed it would be. I didn’t experience any hazing on any of my eyes just like what I’ve read on other patients who under went on a different eye clinic.

Kieran

Oooo, my old thread.

Well I suppose I should update on my situation a year on.

Best. Thing. I. Ever. Did.

Better than 20/20 vision, no more expensive contacts/solutions/spare glasses. No loss of vision halfway through a ride when a contact comes out. No more discomfort when the contacts dry out on a long descent.

Any whatever they say about modern “soft” contact lenses being comfortable. There is NOTHING as comfortable as having nothing in your eye 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

‘Any whatever they say about modern “soft” contact lenses being comfortable. There is NOTHING as comfortable as having nothing in your eye’.

If you’re one of the people lucky enough not to end up with scarring, permanent discomfort, continuous watering, then yes, it’s probably fairly comfortable.

If you’re considering it – don’t just listen to the positives. Ask people who *know* what it’s all about and what can go wrong. NOT the people who are after your money to do it.
    I won’t be having it, EVER. Because a) I work in eyes and have seen the damage it can cause. b) Even if I had it now, I’d be back in contacts or glasses in ten years or so. and c) we’ll all be living long enough to be having intraocular lenses at a later date anyway. As coffeeking says – surgery, for the sake of vanity. No thank you.

oh and ‘better than 20/20 vision’ isn’t something to really brag about. If you had 20/20 or less as a result of laser surgery, I’d consider it a failure. That’s like saying ‘I went for a haircut and they didn’t cut off both my legs! Result!’

FuzzyWuzzy

Pfft – what are the stats for failed operations? I’d hazard a guess they’re very low. Sure going blind as a result is a little more than a ‘side-effect’ but I wonder how many people have been that unfortunate.
    As I’ve said before, best thing I ever did and it’s hardly just a vanity thing, it’s a convenience and comfort thing as much as anything.

johnners
    Free Member

we’ll all be living long enough to be having intraocular lenses at a later date anyway

– for some of us with very bad eyesight, that’s about the only surgical intervention on offer.

As coffeeking says – surgery, for the sake of vanity. No thank you

– and if your eyesight’s bad enough that intraocular lenses are the only option, it’s not just vanity.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re one of the people lucky enough not to end up with scarring, permanent discomfort, continuous watering, then yes, it’s probably fairly comfortable.

I must be one of the chosen ones then as ^ thats me. I couldn’t have wished for better although YMMV.

Even if I had it now, I’d be back in contacts or glasses in ten years or so.

During the last 9 months my eyes have gone off on close up stuff but that’s because I’m an old git and it would have happened whether I had surgery or not. but for anything more than 2′ away my eyesight is still great and I don’t have to wear contacts/glasses.

we’ll all be living long enough to be having intraocular lenses at a later date anyway

This sounds great.

schmoopie
    Free Member

Regardless of whether you had successful results or not, please help make refractive eye surgery safer for everyone!

This petition calls for Government Legislation.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28629

benhunt
    Free Member

The risks are pretty minor. This page says you’re 3 times more likely to be struck by lightning than to lose vision from a LASIK procedure, which is similar to what you’re talking about.

midlifecrashes

Friend of mine had it done last year, vision pretty good now. Downside is she got an infection, poor aftercare and now has Blepharitis and has to swab out her eyelids morning and night for the rest of her days.

Edit: If the other guys with the big advertising and small aftercare budgets mess up, you might be lucky to get referred back to NHS consultants. Turns out they could have done the job right in the first place:http://www.stjameslaservision.co.uk/

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Laser Eye Surgery’ is closed to new replies.