Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Laser Eye Surgery
  • druidh
    Free Member

(Not for me as the whole idea of it makes me clench my thighs together.)

Anyone here had good/bad experiences?
    Anyone you'd care to recommend?
    How permanent is it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had it done. Worked a treat, no side effect and now slightly better than 20/20.

People say "but you'll still need reading glasses when you get older", maybe, but at least they'll not be bifocals! And, if the whole thing lasts me ten years, it's cheaper than frames, lenses, sunglasses and contacts over the same peroid.

The proceedure itself was less invasive than having a filling done.

By the way, why clench your thighs? Thye don't do it to your japseye.

Flaperon

My dad had it and wishes he'd had it earlier in life. Prices tend to rocket up from what they advertise though unless you want it on the first generation machine that's sat in the corner gathering dust.

Note of caution: Apparently you become ineligible for cataract surgery in the future if you have it. I'm banking on bendy replacement lenses becoming available within the next 30 years which should mean that presbyopia is a thing of the past… unless you had LASIK. 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

My gran recently got a complete lens transplant, which I hadn't realised was medically possible. She no longer needs glasses at all.
    Can anyone explain that to me?

deus

i was just googling intra ocular lens.
    some info here

was quite interesting, bet it's not cheap though.
    i'm sure other companies are available

sideshowdave
    Free Member

yer had it done 3 years ago and its some of the best money i've every spent , got better than 20/20 now 🙂 the op not the best but would do it again if needed to as well worth it 😀

MoreCashThanDash

MrsSwadey had it done a year ago – a friend of hers works at Moorfilds eye hospital and pulled a few favours to get it done by one of the top bods in the country – she had to wait an extra hour for some minor royal and then an SAS bloke being checked before being sent back to Afghanistan, apparently

She swears blind it's the best thing shes ever done – she was -8.5 in both eyes, now perfect in one and -0.5 in the other. No need for glasses, she's learning to swim properly, she can deal with the kids in the night without having to find her specs in the dark and she gets to see how good looking her hubby is for the first time in her life.

She has suggested I get mine done, but the thought of some guy lasering a flap in my eyeball while I am conscious kind of puts me off – I'd sooner have another vasectomy. And that barsteward didn't use enough anaesthetic….

grim168
    Free Member

Had it done at optimax in manchester about 12 or 13 years ago. Best thing I've ever done. £395 an eye. I still don't need reading glasses which I was told I'd need ( now 41). Brother had it done also about 4 years ago.

Graham.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A very good friend had it done last year. Almost went blind in one eyes, spent two weeks being woken every 30 minutes to have eyedrops administered. He didn't go fully blind in that eye but he descibes it as like looking underwater 24/7 and it will never recover.

allthepies
    Free Member

>She swears blind it's the best thing shes ever done

LOL

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I've considered it a few times, but….. The wife of a guy I work with does it for a living and he still wears glasses. He says it hardly ever goes wrong, but when it does it can go very badly wrong and he isn't gojng to take the risk until it gets safer. So I'm waiting for him to go first. I know I'm a coward.

tegski
    Free Member

As above – look at the number of ophthalmologists that still wear glasses. My dad was an ophthalmologist (now retired) and he too said that it mostly was OK, but if something went wrong it goes really wrong – he used to see the results. He was not involved with the surgery at all as a consequence. You still have to wear glasses when riding anyway (tree branches etc) so what's the point….? Apparently technology was developed in Russia as it was cheaper than making glasses!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Laser Eye Surgery’ is closed to new replies.