Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Large volume XC tyres?
  • scunny
    Free Member

I’m running some 2.1 Maxxis Ignitors at the minute. Mainly riding around the Dark Peak, i find they dig into the gravel way too much, rear spins out when i’m cranking uphill and the front is constantly trying to wash out on loose turns. Hardpack singletrack they’re great though.

I’m looking for some 2.2/2.3 XC tyres, preferably the same weight as the ignitors (490g?).

Any recommendations?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Nobby Nic 2.25 at 520grams

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

intense system 4, bit heavier though

Deveron53
    Free Member

I used some Speed King supersonic 2.4s but they were more like 2.2. Sidewalls were a bit thin for Peaks but at 440g each…
    I switched to Syncros PointnChute 2.35 (600g) and 2.5 (850g) as they roll fast and have cushioning and grip and I can use them all year in the Peaks. 2.5s front and rear now. These two tyres are responsible for my Mega coming in at 32.5 lb but they roll so fast.

ac282

I don’t think you’ll find a true 2.2/2.3 inch tyre that weighs 490 grams and has strong sidewalls. I would choose something a bit tougher if I was riding in the peak regularly.

scunny
    Free Member

I dont mind if they weigh a bit more, just as long as they don’t turn my bike into a tractor.

RealMan
    Free Member

Rubber queens? Big volume, lots of grip. Bit heavier then what you want though.

neninja
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage Exception are a good XC tyre and high volume. Weight is in the ball park you are looking for.

I’ve changed my front Advantage for the Rubber Queen black chilli – slightyly bigger volume, a bit heavier but way more grip.

boxelder

Maxxis ardent are big volume, not draggy and pretty light I think.

onandon
    Free Member

I’d recommend some Bontrager XR-1 team issue 26-2.2. They are large for a 2.2 and come in at 505g and 510g for the two that I have .
    Stronger sidewalls than Racing Ralphs and seal well tubeless with just yellow tape.

What more do you need 🙂

mogrim

Just stuck a 2.25 Maxxis Crossmark on the front of my bike, big and fast rolling, not bad grip either.

5thElefant
    Free Member

2.4″ racing ralphs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

what pressures you using? Tried lower?

thomthumb
    Free Member

2.4″ racing ralphs.

yes. those^ amazing tyres.

BadlyWiredDog

Ardent 2.25 EXO work well in the Peak for me and roll ‘fast enough’. Exception side walls seem fragile, ditto Schwalbe’s lightweight NNs and RR – I used to wear through the sidewalls disturbingly quickly.

It depends a bit on your riding style too – if you take the rocky stuff steady, you won’t be as hard on sidewalls. If you pile into loose bits faster, you’re effectively dragging your sidewalls hard against rough gritstone repeatedly, cue white fluffy carcasse liberation followed by the familiar tyre hernia syndrome and rapid death…

Daniel
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 2.4 X-King? I saw that Chipps gave them a good review in the mag.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Large volume XC tyres?’ is closed to new replies.