Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Large-ish volume semi slick?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

29x 2.1 – 2.3, light, fast, supple with little tread. Something like a WTB Nano I guess but bigger.

EDIT hmm, there is a 2.1 version of the Nano..

Shackleton

2.25 Racing Ralph/rocket ron/thunder burt?

MrPottatoHead

I run Halo Twin Rail which isn’t an obvious choice but they roll pretty well and surprisingly grippy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bonty XR1 2.2 (its big for 2.2)

Northwind

Oh oh oh oh thunder burt oh thunder burt oh thunder burt

vincienup
    Free Member

2.25 Trailboss? Or did you want slicker? The Trailboss is in bigger sizes too…

epicyclo

What do you need tread for? Big Apples will do the job as well as a semislick.

fifeandy
    Free Member

What’s the planned use for it?

If its going to see a lot of road use i’d go with a race king 2.2 as the black chilli compound seems a bit more resilient? than pacestar.

If road use is going to be minimal ralph front, burt rear

Maxxis Aspen?

qwerty
    Free Member

WTB Riddler comes in 2.25″ in 29″.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ardent Race? Ardent for a bit more grip?

SirHC

Ikon has lower/less aggressive tread than an ardent race. Ardent is really draggy.

Bonty xr1 is pretty slick

takisawa2

2.35″ Ralph used to be the fast rolling big vol of choice.
    If you’ve a spare set of 27.5″ wheels the 2.8″ WTB Trailblazer comes up not much wider but gives a more supple ride & rolls well.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the planned use for it?

Possible Ridgeway double attempt, but after that it would be mixed road/jeep track use for my rigid bike. So durability nice, but some tread required since I may encounter gravel.

Not sure about size now. The rigid bike benefits from the cushioning, so I thought large volume – but because the rims are narrow and I ride some road I run my 2.35s at 30psi anyway. So what’s the point in the larger carcass?

vincienup
    Free Member

Narrower rims are going to give a more bulby profile to a wide tyre which is probably what you want if you’re in it for the comfort.

Probably worth paying attention to sidewalls. A Schwalbe ‘snakeskin’ or WTB ‘light’ is going to give s more supple ride than a ‘supergravity’ of ‘tough’ – these are essentially like load rating numbers on car tyres.

Pressures, if you don’t want to/can’t keep a spare set of wheels for road then just vary the pressures as appropriate? Obviously not stopping to blow them up if you’re nipping on road mid ride for a few minutes, but for extended use would seem sensible.

As someone else asked ^^ can you squeeze a 275plus in? A 2.8 Trailblazer is under 70mm at widest and no taller than a Vigilante on s 29 rim.

onandon
    Free Member

Schwalbe the big one. Apparently the fastest rolling tyre in this class.

molgrips
    Free Member

I could use 27.5+ wheels, I could even use a 29+ on the front – but I don’t own any other wheels nor can I afford them 🙂

Narrower rims are going to give a more bulby profile to a wide tyre which is probably what you want if you’re in it for the comfort.

Don’t think so. Lower pressures on narrow rims squirm too much. 2.35s on 28mm ish IW rims already roll around on corners at less than 25psi. And they bounce at that pressure too.

nedrapier

if it’s gravel you’re after, you don’;t need tread. If you slip, it’s the gravel sliding on the stuff below it, not the tyres going. you only need tread for mud. And having followed someone on 1.5in slicks round 22 miles of mud, goop and slop, it’s less important than you’d think, even then!

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/why-we-dont-make-gravel-tires/

molgrips
    Free Member

Gravel, dust, loam, mud, sand.. any of these could be encountered on a UK ride. I have ridden with slicks off-road before, and I do think I would like some tread.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 thunderburt

If you want more knobs then WTB nineline.

Daffy

Schwalbe G-One?

epicyclo

nedrapier – Member
    if it’s gravel you’re after, you don’;t need tread. If you slip, it’s the gravel sliding on the stuff below it, not the tyres going. you only need tread for mud. And having followed someone on 1.5in slicks round 22 miles of mud, goop and slop, it’s less important than you’d think, even then!

Agree. The conformation of the tyre to the surface has more to do with grip than small lugs on the tyre IMO, and this becomes more so the fatter the tyre because you can use lower pressures which allows more compliance.

I use Big Apples 2.35″ at around 15-20psi, and they’re good enough to get me almost anywhere.

I’m currently eyeing off the G-One but not sure if it is robust enough to take offroad.

vincienup
    Free Member

You may be in moon on stick land looking for a compromise of low pressure tyre ridden hard and road comfort/practicality.

2.35’s squirming on 28mm rims basically leaves you increase pressure or less pliable tyres I think – both of which are going to firm up the ride a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

You may be in moon on stick land looking for a compromise of low pressure tyre ridden hard and road comfort/practicality.

No I’m saying I can’t run low pressures because of my rims, so I’ll run them harder and therefore I should get a lower volume i.e. 2.1

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Schwalbe G-ONE Speed 2.35s, currently have a pair on the Wazoo. They fly!

epicyclo

vincienup – Member

2.35’s squirming on 28mm rims basically leaves you increase pressure or less pliable tyres I think – both of which are going to firm up the ride a bit.
    The rims I have been using are that size, and I haven’t experienced any problems with Big Apples squirming.

But why use narrow rims with a wide tyre? I have switched to 40mm rims and it gets me another 5mm width on the tyre, plus more volume.

thomthumb
    Free Member

tubed or tubeless?

molgrips
    Free Member

Tubeless.

But why use narrow rims with a wide tyre?

Because I haven’t got £400 for new wheels lying around. Nor do I have £200 for a new build.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

2.25″ Thunderburt

scu98rkr
    Free Member

mind I havent seen them 2.35 G-One’s before, they look quite cool.
    With the conditions being as dry as they are now they would probably work quite well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Large-ish volume semi slick?’ is closed to new replies.