Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Large volume but lightish 29er tyres
  • slackman99
    Free Member

I’ve made the recent switch back from full suss to HT.

I’m looking to try and add a bit more comfort to the rear so am after some large volume but (hopefully) lightish tyres.

I’m hoping the weather might be a bit more dry now we’re in spring so hopefully not needing full on mud capable tyres.

Currently running Purgatory’s in 2.3 flavour but they don’t seem that big (on my 22mm inner rims)

Whats is there that’s massive and light?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4?

letmetalktomark

I’m afraid it only hits 50% of your needs but I’ve had no complaints from my 2.4” Ardent Exo.

I run one on the front of my Fortitude, lowish pressure on a Flow rim. Certainly adds a degree of comfort.

guitarhero
    Free Member

what you got on the back, letmetalktomark?

matt_outandabout

I really liked the hoofing big but fast WTB Mutanoraptor and Weirwolf combination I had on my Niner for a couple of months before it was nicked.

jonnyrockymountain

I find the purgatory spot on, why the need for bigger volume?

letmetalktomark

2.1 WTB Prowler SL

Its bigger than expected for a 2.1” listing.

slackman99
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the purgatory. Seems very grippy, just not that big for a 2.3 and was hoping for a bit more comfort on the rear from more volume

brassneck

I’m running Ralphs, 2.25 and they seem big and comfy enough for me – but I am running them tubeless and at about 35 psi.

gab344
    Free Member

I run a Maxxis IKON 29 x 2.35 they come up huge! Great summer tyre too, super quick on the rear.

jameso

2.35 or 2.4 Maxxis are a step up from the Purgatory, work well ona Flow or wider rim. 2.4 R-Ralphs are lighter but not sure I want a thin sidewall on a big, low pressure tyre.

slackman99
    Free Member

Do you think an Ikon in 2.35 flavour for the rear and maybe a Ralph 2.4 at the front (light sidewalls less of an issue as I can run a few more psi due to arms and forks taking out the buzz)?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Large volume but lightish 29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.