Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • large format fade free printing ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Need to print some items for outside use (enclosed in poster holder), the old ones have faded in the sun.
    Normally use std paper on a roll, is it just paper I need or special inks aswell ? HP DJ510 plotter so had a look on the HP site and found a roll called ‘HP Durable Banner with DuPont Tyvek’.
    ?

fluided
    Free Member

You would need a solvent type of ink in order for it not to fade .

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They all fade over time (some are just more resistant) – how long do you need it to resist for?

Might be better finding an online service that offer a speciality service?

scruff
    Free Member

We have some print suppliers which Ive asked for a quote. The prints may need to be changed at random so would have liked to have done the printing myself but the HP paper roll is 15 times more expensive than normal ( plus any ink )

bigsurfer
    Free Member

You would need to talk to them about your specific application but we used to use this product to extend the life of printed vinyl that was in a particularly bad enviroment.

http://www.victorydesign.co.uk/categories/name/frogjuice

We used to use it on vehicles for hire companies etc. that get jest washed with chemicals several times a week. Yes the ink was solvent based but it did definately make a difference.

I would have thought in your case if you can already print them yourself it would be worth a go for quite a small outlay for a can. Need a very well ventilated place to apply it and let it dry.

amaan
    Free Member

If you can get pigment inks for your printer they will fade less than the dye inks, some of the new HP large format printers use vivera pigment inks which have a 100 year life span, you might be able to get some aftermarket/copy pigment inks?

But if the posters are in direct sunlight, your best option is solvent inks on vinyl as mentioned above.

Here have a look at some of these(below), you’ll need to do a bit of research, into UV dye, pigment etc

hp designjet 510 pigment inks google link

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&xhr=t&q=hp+designjet+510+pigment+inks&cp=29&pq=hp%20designjet%20510&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=webhp&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=hp+designjet+510+pigment+inks&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=eb847c1bda400d6d&biw=1366&bih=635

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You could also look at encapsulating in UV resistant film so the plastic cover protects from the sun rather than the inks/substrate.

Just a thought.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

m_f nails it in ‘thinking outside the pyramid shocker’

What wavelength UV?

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

I’d talk to the printers. We use jamjar and they are super helpful, great guys. No complaints on anything fading too quick but it is pretty much an unavoidable eventuality.

iDave
    Free Member

is this a sign for stickman?

scruff
    Free Member

No, sick men (DYSWIDT).

BigJohn

Y, ID

maccruiskeen

They all fade over time (some are just more resistant)

No time to get all misty eyed and philosophical

Stoner
    Free Member

ooh. bot-tastic.

maccruiskeen

dagnabit

EDIT….. actually, possibly not

EDIT EDIT……. changed my mind. definately.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘large format fade free printing ?’ is closed to new replies.